2024 Canada Prep & Admissions SLP Thread

6 hours ago, MarySLP said:

Hello,

I am a mature student and currently don't have access to my university professors. However, I am enrolled in the CDA program. Can I use my professor from there as an academic reference?

I don't thinkcollege teachers can be used as references, but I would suggest reaching out to the school directly to confirm. For instance, UofT has posted this blurb regarding college teachers: "Applicants must arrange to have two academic referees complete the Confidential Assessment Form and write an academic reference letter. Referees must be full‑time faculty members (normally with a rank of lecturer, sessional lecturer, assistant professor, or higher) at an accredited university. Please note that college instructors are NOT considered to be appropriate academic referees"

Hi everyone! I have submitted the first part of my Dal application and am super confused about what supporting documents are now needed and where to submit them. I haven't received any emails with this information and I've been trying to contact the department for a couple of weeks. Am I missing something? 

19 minutes ago, SLPpinky said:

Hi everyone! I have submitted the first part of my Dal application and am super confused about what supporting documents are now needed and where to submit them. I haven't received any emails with this information and I've been trying to contact the department for a couple of weeks. Am I missing something? 

Hey! I also found Dal's application process confusing but this is my second time applying and I think I got it down. Now that you have submitted the online portion, you have to gather three documents into one PDF file to email to them before the deadline: SCSD Additional Information Form (you can find that on their website and fill it out), your resume, and your unofficial transcript with this semester's grades included). This link might better explain everything: https://www.dal.ca/faculty/health/scsd/scsd-admissions-info/scsd-admission-procedures.html

Last year, they didn't send any emails confirming they received this information so you might have to keep emailing to confirm everything later on. 

Hope this helps!

Hey, 

A little confused about the statement of intent for UofT, hoping someone can help. 

On their website it says;

Statement of Intent

All applicants must complete a Statement of Intent and there are two components to the Statement of Intent. The first section should be a maximum of 3,000 characters (this incudes spaces) and should address the following topics, in particular the first four items:

1. Outline reasons for choosing speech‑language pathology as a career;
  2. Highlight specific personal attributes that would be relevant for the profession;
  3. Emphasize academic and non‑academic accomplishments;
  4. Outline reasons for choosing the MHSc program in speech‑language pathology at the University of Toronto; and
  5. Demonstrate current knowledge about the profession of speech‑language pathology.

Applicants may also wish to use this statement to explain irregularities in their application and to outline any research experiences.

The second section of the Statement of Intent is a summary of volunteer experiences and should list:

1. Volunteer experiences in the field of speech‑language pathology and/or audiology in point form, including dates, duration, total hours, populations, and the nature of activities in which the applicant participated; and
  2. Other relevant volunteer experiences, including dates, duration, populations, and activities.

HOWEVER, when you open ORPAS there is no mention of the second section AND they only allow 3000 characters. So should I just answer the first section? I do not see anywhere to add the second section. 

On 12/27/2023 at 7:28 AM, speechbean said:

Hey, 

A little confused about the statement of intent for UofT, hoping someone can help. 

On their website it says;

Statement of Intent

All applicants must complete a Statement of Intent and there are two components to the Statement of Intent. The first section should be a maximum of 3,000 characters (this incudes spaces) and should address the following topics, in particular the first four items:

1. Outline reasons for choosing speech‑language pathology as a career;
  2. Highlight specific personal attributes that would be relevant for the profession;
  3. Emphasize academic and non‑academic accomplishments;
  4. Outline reasons for choosing the MHSc program in speech‑language pathology at the University of Toronto; and
  5. Demonstrate current knowledge about the profession of speech‑language pathology.

Applicants may also wish to use this statement to explain irregularities in their application and to outline any research experiences.

The second section of the Statement of Intent is a summary of volunteer experiences and should list:

1. Volunteer experiences in the field of speech‑language pathology and/or audiology in point form, including dates, duration, total hours, populations, and the nature of activities in which the applicant participated; and
  2. Other relevant volunteer experiences, including dates, duration, populations, and activities.

HOWEVER, when you open ORPAS there is no mention of the second section AND they only allow 3000 characters. So should I just answer the first section? I do not see anywhere to add the second section. 

yes you only need to do the first section since they have waived the volunteering requirement for this year

Hello everyone!

Do you know how long it takes for the Dal admission committee to send the e-reference email? It says up to five but does it take that long!! I just submitted it last night. 

23 hours ago, MarySLP said:

Hello everyone!

Do you know how long it takes for the Dal admission committee to send the e-reference email? It says up to five but does it take that long!! I just submitted it last night. 

hey! I had trouble with this a few weeks ago. My problem was I didnt submit the application fee right away so none of my references received it until I did so and it was really fast! I think they got maybe 24 hours later. 

On 12/19/2023 at 10:26 PM, SquidSLP said:

I don't thinkcollege teachers can be used as references, but I would suggest reaching out to the school directly to confirm. For instance, UofT has posted this blurb regarding college teachers: "Applicants must arrange to have two academic referees complete the Confidential Assessment Form and write an academic reference letter. Referees must be full‑time faculty members (normally with a rank of lecturer, sessional lecturer, assistant professor, or higher) at an accredited university. Please note that college instructors are NOT considered to be appropriate academic referees"

Hello! I am also applying this year and emailed Western SLP regarding CDA professors being an academic reference. They confirmed that you can use 1 CDA professors as an academic reference, I am using an undergrad professor as my other academic reference. 

Just submitted my ORPAS application a few minutes ago. I still have my Dalhousie app documents and my backup Masters to go😭 I’m already really anxious even though we wont receive any information for a while (just Mac interview invites in February…). Anyways I wanted to say goodluck to everyone! We’ve made it this far our work won’t be in vain! Take care everyone!!

Hey guys! I know we've all probably submitted our application but I just had a question that I couldn't get out of my head. Does UofT look at the third reference? I know they waived the clinical reference requirement, but I wasn't sure if this meant that they won't look at the third reference at all, or that it is ok to get a personal/professional submission. Thanks, and good luck everyone!

16 hours ago, malslp said:

Hey guys! I know we've all probably submitted our application but I just had a question that I couldn't get out of my head. Does UofT look at the third reference? I know they waived the clinical reference requirement, but I wasn't sure if this meant that they won't look at the third reference at all, or that it is ok to get a personal/professional submission. Thanks, and good luck everyone!

hey! i'm pretty sure that they do not look at it if it is not from a professor/lecturer, meaning they only read the academic references. 

I have been waiting to hear back from UofA about how to send in a transcript. I am only able to send the transcript via email or to the institution directly. I cannot download it as a PDF. Has anyone run into this issue before or know how to submit it according to UofA's guidelines?

Hi all,

I'm re-applying to UofA this year and I'm feeling very stupid but I can't understand their reference timeline. Their website says that references will be contacted after we submit our applications and pay the $135 application fee- but their letters must be submitted before Feb 1st. What am I missing? That would mean that I'd have to submit my application like a week prior to the 'formal application submission deadline' of Feb 1st, so that my references would get an email from UofA inviting them to upload their letters. I checked the application online and it's definitely set up so that the references submit their own letters. Did I miss something? Thanks for the help :

21 hours ago, SLP_Sarah said:

Hi all,

I'm re-applying to UofA this year and I'm feeling very stupid but I can't understand their reference timeline. Their website says that references will be contacted after we submit our applications and pay the $135 application fee- but their letters must be submitted before Feb 1st. What am I missing? That would mean that I'd have to submit my application like a week prior to the 'formal application submission deadline' of Feb 1st, so that my references would get an email from UofA inviting them to upload their letters. I checked the application online and it's definitely set up so that the references submit their own letters. Did I miss something? Thanks for the help :

Hi! I also applied to UofA this year. Yes, you have to submit your application and pay the fee before your references will get the request to submit theirs. You need to do this before February 1st as the references must submit their forms before the 1st (they are due that day). For example, I submitted my application and paid last week and now my references will have until the 1st to submit. They will receive an email with a link to filling out forms and letters.  Hope that helps! 

On 1/9/2024 at 12:14 PM, SquidSLP said:

I have been waiting to hear back from UofA about how to send in a transcript. I am only able to send the transcript via email or to the institution directly. I cannot download it as a PDF. Has anyone run into this issue before or know how to submit it according to UofA's guidelines?

Are you accessing your transcript through MyCreds? If so, what I did was share the transcript to my personal email and from there I was able to download it and save as a pdf, which I submitted for the application. 

58 minutes ago, slp2024hopeful said:

Are you accessing your transcript through MyCreds? If so, what I did was share the transcript to my personal email and from there I was able to download it and save as a pdf, which I submitted for the application. 

Okay, perfect! Yes, it is through MyCreds. Thank you very much!

Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone knows if I can submit a CV for the UofA application? It says a resume on the application process website, but in the application portal, it says CV/Resume. Also, I don't believe I've seen a limit on how long the resume can be as well. I've emailed their admission office, but I'm yet to hear back. So anyone with any information would help, planning to submit in a few days! Thanks

Hello friends,

I have submitted my application for Dal about 2 weeks ago. I am still waiting for the Identification (B00 Number). Last year I got it after a few days! Is anyone in the same boat?

58 minutes ago, SLPcd said:

Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone knows if I can submit a CV for the UofA application? It says a resume on the application process website, but in the application portal, it says CV/Resume. Also, I don't believe I've seen a limit on how long the resume can be as well. I've emailed their admission office, but I'm yet to hear back. So anyone with any information would help, planning to submit in a few days! Thanks

I believe they just want you to name the document a "Resume" but a CV should work. I've heard from some people that it should be 2-3 pages, but I also know people who've been accepted that had longer ones, so not too sure if there's a strict rule on it.  

Hi everyone, 

So I had an issue with my transcript for this last fall semester and now they are going to take a while to update my grades (one of my exams was marked wrong). Does anyone know if that will affect my subGPA calculation or can I just email the schools when the change happens🙃

5 hours ago, MarySLP said:

Hello friends,

I have submitted my application for Dal about 2 weeks ago. I am still waiting for the Identification (B00 Number). Last year I got it after a few days! Is anyone in the same boat?

Hi! I have also not received an identification number but received one after about ten days last year. 

21 hours ago, MarySLP said:

Hello friends,

16 hours ago, tayslp said:

Hi! I have also not received an identification number but received one after about ten days last year. 

I submitted my application on Nov 29 and received my B00 on Dec 5. Maybe it's because of the winter break?

Edited by SocialCommSLP

On 1/13/2024 at 2:34 PM, MarySLP said:

Hello friends,

Hey! Because you applied last year too, your B00 number is the same. It should have said what your B00 number is in the email you received once you paid the application fee for this application cycle. As a re-applicant, I did not receive any new emails with a B00 number, just one when I paid this year that said it in the email. If you need it you should just refer to yours from last year:)