It Has Begun

BadgerHopeful

Didn't Yale make its deadline two weeks later than it was last year? So perhaps we won't find out two weeks later than last year, aka the the 3rd or 4th week of February. Maybe I'm going crazy/making things up.

That's what I have gathered. Correct me if I'm wrong: Yale's deadline was Dec 15 for 2010 and 2011 fall and Jan 1 for 2009 but it maintained a similar timeframe of notification in 2010 and 2009. I guess we should hear soon too.

Didn't Yale make its deadline two weeks later than it was last year? So perhaps we won't find out two weeks later than last year, aka the the 3rd or 4th week of February. Maybe I'm going crazy/making things up.

You're only making yourself nuts by having these kind of "deadlines." Let the unexpected come to you! :)

Also, one of my letter writers called my potential adviser at Yale, which got my hopes up. But he also told me said person said that funds had been cut, which means a small cohort. He said probably only a couple for European history (that's what I assumed anyway, since the phrasing was a little vague).

Ugh, funding for European history (I hope that this assumption is wrong!) Not that I am against European historians and/or the study of European history, but apparently Yale were engaged in the process of expanding the fields of World History and African History (and other non-European) - so much for that!!!

On a side note, noticed my first grey hair today - wonder why?

Ugh, funding for European history (I hope that this assumption is wrong!) Not that I am against European historians and/or the study of European history, but apparently Yale were engaged in the process of expanding the fields of World History and African History (and other non-European) - so much for that!!!

On a side note, noticed my first grey hair today - wonder why?

"Only a couple" of places for European history doesn't necessarily mean that World or African history won't be expanded. There could be overall cuts but also readjusted funds for new areas. We'll see I suppose.

Congrats to the Lat Am history poster on the results page. I heard Duke was a tough acceptance this year due more of their acceptances enrolling last year than they expected. I'm hoping to hear the same from Wisconsin soon. Did they mention anything about funding?

One Stanford and one Harvard posted now...... ahhhhhhhh

It looks like the Harvard acceptance is from a separate program, the "History and East Asian Languages" PhD program (see here), which is an interdisciplinary blending of History Department and the East Asian Language and Civilization Department. So, while not necessarily a strict "history" applications---like I imagine most of us here are hoping for---it does show that the ball is rolling in Cambridge, MA. I guess the same could be said of the Stanford acceptee, who is likely in the Classics department.

Major congrats to the two acceptances though!

I guess the same could be said of the Stanford acceptee, who is likely in the Classics department.

Major congrats to the two acceptances though!

As the person in question, I'll add that, yes, I believe I count toward Stanford's Classics Department's quota, not History's.

Thank you and good luck to you all!

Harvard's HEAL program take its East Asian Program's quota.. no worries ;)

As the HEAL admit, I can confirm I was admitted through the East Asian Languages and Civilizations department - no need for all of you to worry.

As the HEAL admit, I can confirm I was admitted through the East Asian Languages and Civilizations department - no need for all of you to worry.

Congratulations! HEAL is an extremely competitive program and I didn't even want to bother.

And I really really glad that we are not applying to the same program haha :)

I am getting so desperate - started reading my horoscope for a peek into my future!!! Apparently I was to receive "big news" concerning my career around the 2nd - where the heck is this news???

I have such a love hate relationship with this website :-()

Who send you this email? Dept or professor?

I got the same e-mail from the departmental secretary. I didn't think it was cold and with hundreds of applicants it's not shocking that it's impersonal. Good to know early on, though.

Sucks. I had a decent feeling about UI.

Edited to add:

Dear Applicant:

The Department of History Admissions Committee has now met regarding applications to our graduate program. We received approximately two hundred applications this year, and our goal is to recruit an incoming class of 10 or 12 students. The quality of the applications was very strong, making it very difficult to select from among so many highly qualified applicants. We sincerely regret that we are unable to offer you admission. Please forgive the impersonality of this letter, but we wanted to convey our decision as speedily as possible. We thank you for your interest in the graduate program in history at Illinois.

Dana Rabin

Associate Professor

Director of Graduate Studies

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Edited by thepoorstockinger

I got the same e-mail from the departmental secretary. I didn't think it was cold and with hundreds of applicants it's not shocking that it's impersonal. Good to know early on, though.

Edited to add:

No different from what Emory sent out last year. Except that Emory was more apologetic... :(

Edited by ticklemepink

Edited to add:

I got the same email. This is my first response from any of the schools, and though I'm handling the rejection fairly well, it just doesn't give me too much hope. But like you said, I'm glad I know now rather than later! I had been in contact with one of the professors specifically in the field of Middle Eastern history (which is a growing area at UIUC) and he told me how they don't have many MidEast students. And on the results page, one of the UIUC history admits was Middle Eastern history; I suppose in a cohort of 10-12 people, they would only be able to accept one or two in that area.

But let's stay positive! :)

If it makes you feel any better, last year Northeastern's Dr. Brown called me and told suggested I not apply to graduate school ever again. He followed up by telling my that my undergrad institution was 'sub-par, although you write very well.' What a douche. Tuft's letter was quite trite. It was one line with zero sense of apology.

If it makes you feel any better, last year Northeastern's Dr. Brown called me and told suggested I not apply to graduate school ever again. He followed up by telling my that my undergrad institution was 'sub-par, although you write very well.' What a douche. Tuft's letter was quite trite. It was one line with zero sense of apology.

Wow, that is awful :-( I would have been tempted to reply that my undergrad institution was not as sub-par as his place of work :-)

Don't be dismayed by these peeps who have zero social skills, and keep your chin up (this goes to all!!!)

I can't believe a professor would say that. What an idiot. I hope you don't let that ever get to you. I think I would've said something really sarcastic and mean to that professor. Wow, I just can't believe that. I'm sorry. Forget that piece of trash.