Official HKS Thread

feeling the same. I wasn't expecting to get in, but I'm frustrated that I wasn't even considered fairly for the program.

I think its absolutely ridiculous. I cant believe they simply decided to consider us for the MPA. The lady I spoke to told me that she didnt think I was even considered for MPP! I didnt spend $100 and countless hours so I could be considered for the wrong program. Apparently, they have no feedback system either. This is so frustrating. I really would have preferred an outright reject. It really bothers me that I wasnt considered for the MPP program.

Please, how many people in the same situation? And what kind of background?

i am.

800Q 660V 4AW, 2 years of econ consulting analyst, 3 years of research in undergrad, lots of volunteer work in public sector/school district

strong economic and ID background

Waitlisted MPA/ID and waitlisted WWS. Anyone else in the same boat? Just got an aid offer from SAIS though so not all bad news today.

Stats are 680v 790q 6.0 AW, 3.65gpa from top liberal arts school. 2 years consulting/investment banking experience in Latam.

Does HKS definitely wait until after the May 15th response deadline before it admits applicants off the waitlist? I'm beginning to think many admitted students will begin to decline admissions offers after April 1st when some realize they won't be receiving a desirable funding package, if at all. However, I'm not sure that necessarily translates in to HKS admitting waitlisted applicants on a rolling basis. I sure hope it's before May though...

Same situation, I dont fulfill the graduate study requirement. International. Bachelor in Law. GRE 690 Q, 520 V. Partner at a government consulting firm for 2 years. Head Legal/legislative advisior to Speaker of the House in my country 1 year, Legal consultant for the Federal Senate. Campagined for a seat in the House of Representatives Work experience in economic development policy - no academic background in economy

For MPA/ID accepted students: Is there any way we can find out the admissions result other than by the e-mail that the committee sent out? I can't access the e-mail that I put on the application, and called in HKS today but received no help. On MYFAID, it says something along the lines of the quote below, but I don't want to construe it as an acceptance... any suggestions?

It is important to think carefully and thoroughly about the costs of graduate school and the debt that you are likely to incur to finance your attendance... We look forward to meeting and assisting you.

No, i got waitlisted and my MYFAID says the same thing.. sorry.

For MPA/ID accepted students: Is there any way we can find out the admissions result other than by the e-mail that the committee sent out? I can't access the e-mail that I put on the application, and called in HKS today but received no help. On MYFAID, it says something along the lines of the quote below, but I don't want to construe it as an acceptance... any suggestions?

For those that are in, can you keep continuing to post your stats. Hard stats (GRE/GMAT, GPA, WE etc) will provide a good indicator for those of us who will be applying down the line.

Sure (accepted for MPP, Social & Urban Policy)

Undergrad Econ & Policy double major, math minor (Private mid-tier school)

GPA: 3.9

GREs: 800Q, 680V, 5AW

Several summers of work experience (research, think tank), two submissions for publication

As far as advice, I guess sometimes it's nice to coming in as a big fish from a little pond, rather than one of many very distinguished students at HYP, etc...I had a lot of opportunities that I wouldn't have gotten at a "better" university, and I think they helped my application a lot.

My background is two Masters degrees - one in environmental engineering and one in journalism.

GRE - 670 (V) and 800 (Q)

Graduate certificate in international affairs

Work ex: 4 years working for an energy company as Public and Govt. Affairs + plus some non-profit volunteer experience

Specifically applied for MPP 's IGA concentration.

Is there a way we can appeal? I dont mind being rejected - as long as its from the right program!!!

Okay. Not even close to your profile. What's going on seriously...

750Q 680V 4AW, international, almost 2 years research on my master thesis. Full time jobs : 2 years as an advisor to an important Minister, 1 year in the private sector (consulting). Part time : about 6 internships in local and national politics during my studies.

No specific economic or finances background :-(

I really don't get it.

Seriously, only the both of us??? :lol:

Talk about misfortune!

What do you think it means? They considered us for MPA only so if we don't get in we're screwed for the MPP even if it was our first choice? That's a non sense. They haven't gotten back to me yet. That's torture looool

Here is the 3rd one. I dont think they are not going to consider us for MPP. I clicked the check box for MPA2 as well but my embark status just told me that thanks for applying to the KSG. IMO the check box statement conveyed the message that if you are not accepted to MPP then would you like to be considered for MPA2. Besides that I have also mentioned in my statements that I am applying for the public policy for blah blah reasons. And so may you poeple have done. So I dont think we should worry about not being considered for MPP.

I had the same thing happen to me and just noticed the change in my SPARKs account. I e-mailed the Admissions Office and here is what they said:

"If you did not meet the requirements for the MPA2 program, you were considered for the MPP program. If you did meet the requirements for the MPA2 program, you were considered for that program. All applicants are only considered for one program."

This leads me to believe that if we haven't heard from the MPP admissions results by now, we were probably considered for the MPA2. I guess we will have to wait another week for the result? Not sure if our changes are better under the MPA2 process?? Is there anyone who has been through the same situation?

Confused.

OOps. Dont tell me. Now this sounds like a real mess for me too. I also took it as a formality thinking that anyways I will be considered for MPP. If not accepted in MPP then no harm in being considered for MPA2. This is ridiculous

Edited by abaabeel

Prabbit and abbabeel : check your embark status. if it says "MPA" so yes, we are on the same boat. And according to what the Admission office told to several of us, no we won't be considered for the MPP, the program we applied to in the first place.

If your embark status says MPA, please PM me.

Please, if anyone else is in the same situation (applied to the MPP, checked the box, embark status says MPA), speak up.

Edited by Elsa

Where would it say MPA on Embark?

SN

Prabbit and abbabeel : check your embark status. if it says "MPA" so yes, we are on the same boat. And according to what the Admission office told to several of us, no we won't be considered for the MPP, the program we applied to in the first place.

Please, if anyone else is in the same situation (applied to the MPP, checked the box, embark status says MPA), speak up.

Where would it say MPA on Embark?

SN

In the box "your application status". Here is what mine says :

"Thank you for applying to the MPA program at Harvard Kennedy School. We have processed your application, and your file is now complete. Please note that if admitted to Harvard Kennedy School, you will be required to submit official transcript(s). An official transcript is one that is sent directly to HKS from the issuing institution. "

:-( :-(

Hi all, got into the MPA-ID. Was accepted into the MPP 2 years back but I declined it then.

Stats:

American male (asian background)

GRE: 800Q, 540V, 6.0 AWA GMAT: 770 (50Q, 45V), 6.0 AWA. I had applied to the joint program with hbs (dinged), and I think I submitted both scores to HKS

GPA: 3.95, Economics (with significant econometrics). Math background: A tad more than a typical engineering student would do.

Also wrote my undergrad thesis based on education and economic development

Work ex: 2 years Teach for America (with sig results), 2 years internationally with Teach for All partner country (including managerial experience)

Congrats to all those admitted! Looking forward to meeting everyone this fall

Accepted by MPP, and my stats:

Undergrad Major: International Affairs (no economic or quantatitive courses at all) GPA 3.76 (major 3.9)

GRE V610+Q780+3.5, Toefl 107

Several internships in local NGOs, worked as an international volunteer in India for 6 weeks. no professional working experience (now a senior undergrad student)

As for advice, I do think that recommendation letter is very very important.

In the box "your application status". Here is what mine says :

"Thank you for applying to the MPA program at Harvard Kennedy School. We have processed your application, and your file is now complete. Please note that if admitted to Harvard Kennedy School, you will be required to submit official transcript(s). An official transcript is one that is sent directly to HKS from the issuing institution. "

:-( :-(

Sorry, I meant the Sparks account.

So people, anyone who applied for the MPP, didn't get a decision and has a SPARKS account stating you're applying to the MPA?

I am also in this situation. They should have been more clear about that box.

I am also in this situation. They should have been more clear about that box.

Well, when I filled in the app form, I thought that "deemed ineligible" meant : not considered for and not accepted. Apparently, it meant "considered for" only... Checking the box made us change the pool we're competing with. That's at least what I understand from this... Any other thoughts?

Indicate the program to which you are applying:<br style=line-height: 20px; ">(Please be sure to select the correct program, as the application questions and essays are different for each program. If you want to change this please do so in the Preliminary Questions.)MPP or MPA2If qualified, would you like to be considered for the Two-Year MPA program? Yes No (MPA2 applicants are required to enter the program with prior graduate level coursework similar to the MPP core curriculum (four courses minimum) and at least three years of full-time, professional work experience by the application deadline. Applicants who do not meet the graduate coursework and work experience requirements will not be considered for the MPA2 program. If you are deemed ineligible for the MPA2 program, your application will still be considered for the MPP program.)Please note that you will only be considered for one program. If you answered yes to the HKS-HBS joint program question, you will remain in the MPP applicant pool.

I am in the same boat. Apparently i am being considered for the MPA and not MPP :( do you know the consequences? is it less reputed? I thought I had applied to the MPP and will be considered for MPA is rejected for MPP. They should have been more clear about this. In any case, the result is not out yet and I am very nervous about it.

Well, when I filled in the app form, I thought that "deemed ineligible" meant : not considered for and not accepted. Apparently, it meant "considered for" only... Checking the box made us change the pool we're competing with. That's at least what I understand from this... Any other thoughts?

Indicate the program to which you are applying:<br style="line-height: 20px; ">(Please be sure to select the correct program, as the application questions and essays are different for each program. If you want to change this please do so in the Preliminary Questions.)MPP or MPA2If qualified, would you like to be considered for the Two-Year MPA program? Yes No (MPA2 applicants are required to enter the program with prior graduate level coursework similar to the MPP core curriculum (four courses minimum) and at least three years of full-time, professional work experience by the application deadline. Applicants who do not meet the graduate coursework and work experience requirements will not be considered for the MPA2 program. If you are deemed ineligible for the MPA2 program, your application will still be considered for the MPP program.)Please note that you will only be considered for one program. If you answered yes to the HKS-HBS joint program question, you will remain in the MPP applicant pool.