Official HKS Thread

Accepted.

My stats:

GPA: 3.7 (3.95 last two years)

GRE: 800Q/670V 5.5 AWA

WE: 3 years in local government program administration/evaluation

Other: Undergrad research experience, leadership roles in student employment and extracurriculars

Thanks IKB ! It's just really frustrating because I got a great financial offer from UMD and an ok financial offer from NYU, both of which require a decision by April 15, waiting for the waitlist means waiting till May 15th ..

Arghh I don't know what to do, the Wagner (tons of debt) vs. UMD (no debt) question was already driving me crazy as is !

What did you decide on ? I'm really curious what would tempt you into turning down HKS ;) ?!

Hattaba,

I was waitlisted at Princeton, so I know how frustrating that uncertainty can be. If it makes you feel any better, depending on financial aid, I'm most likely going to turn down my HKS spot. I received an offer from another school that's almost impossible to turn down. I know I'm only one person, but there have to be many more like me out there... Head up.

Do you know if they have done that on previous years? Send admitted/waitlist/rejected decisions for the same Programs on different days...

Me too - not sure why some of us have yet to receive it. I'd rather it just be done and over with!

Do you know if they have done that on previous years? Send admitted/waitlist/rejected decisions for the same Programs on different days...

on the results page looks like they sent out the MPP over two days - March 18th and 19th

Whoa! Straight up rejected! I had my heart set on this program until I got into WWS last week. How random this application process is. Heh, I am having a bit of a "you can't fire me, I quit!" kind of feeling. Congrats to all who made it in!! It is awesome program--you should be proud of yourselves!

That's a wrap--Princeton, here I come!

Whoa! Straight up rejected! I had my heart set on this program until I got into WWS last week. How random this application process is. Heh, I am having a bit of a "you can't fire me, I quit!" kind of feeling. Congrats to all who made it in!! It is awesome program--you should be proud of yourselves!

Accepted WWS and rejected HKS? That IS pretty **** random--just goes to show you what a crapshoot it all is!

On that note, I got accepted and was really pretty shocked. If you'd talked to me in undergrad, never would I have imagined that I'd apply, much less get in, to this program. (I'm 3.71, 730V, 770Q, about 4 years public service/international exp.)

Waitlisted. Overall: GSPP - in with $5k; HKS- Waitlisted; WWS - Rejected.

Attending: GSPP (Even if I get in HKS, is way too costly to attend) :-) Seems I'd be enjoying the beautiful Berkeley weather in a few months :-)

Congratulations to all those who made it!

I too am in the in-at-WWS, out-at-HKS boat. Totally fine with this outcome, as I wasn't going to go to HKS unless I got a very generous aid package anyway (which was unlikely, to say the least), but still a bit surprised. Generally speaking, WWS is supposed to be tougher to get into, right?

In previous years HKS has had around a 20% admit rate and WWS' has been around 10%. But who knows what it is this year. Luck of the draw I guess or maybe they're looking for different types of folks at the schools. In any case, both great schools--i'm psyched!

Anybody who didn't get in--don't be down on yourself. There's a lot of randomness in this process, and you'll be able to go on to a great career in public service regardless of where you get your policy degree!

I too am in the in-at-WWS, out-at-HKS boat. Totally fine with this outcome, as I wasn't going to go to HKS unless I got a very generous aid package anyway (which was unlikely, to say the least), but still a bit surprised. Generally speaking, WWS is supposed to be tougher to get into, right?

For those that are in, can you keep continuing to post your stats. Hard stats (GRE/GMAT, GPA, WE etc) will provide a good indicator for those of us who will be applying down the line.

Congrats to those that are in and for those that are not it seems like you've gotten into equally amazing programs. Congrats all around.

Any advice for the application process (what you wish you have done, what we should play special attention too etc) is always appreciated.

My stats:

GRE: 770Q, 660V, 4.0AW

Oxford Undergrad (2:1)

International applicant, 9 years work experience in NGO sector.

Can anyone clarifying whether the April 1 funding decision is for all the scholarships and fellowships that were part of the MYFAID process?

Funny that the announcement comes on April Fools Day.

Still a little stunned by this acceptance!

I was rejected today too... My friend sat on the admissions committee a couple of years back and kind of had me believing I had a chance! :(

A little sad, but waiting to hear from SIPA and Harris as well.

Thanks for all the feedback and info folks post here.

Congratulations to all who got it. I guess the interesting thing about the admission cycle is we can't all get an admission into the school we all apply to. Some of us do get into our dream schools but they don't provide funding and others don't get into their dream schools but they get great financial aid which they can't turn down. I think the most important thing to remember is: I gave it my shot but I did not get in or I was waitlisted. That is of course better than you did not apply but then you are wondering if the school would have picked you if actually applied (I can relate to that...and I am happy I did apply to a particular school). It is rather interesting how one factor (GPA, GRE, WE) that is important to one school means nothing to another. Or the fact that you are related to the CEO of the World Bank is that extra quality you need to get into a specific program or you saving chickens instead of dogs is what matters to another program to get an admission. So I say, it is a matter of luck at times that we get what we want even after some hard work and perseverance.

In any case, I hope you all get into programs that you find fulfilling and rewarding in your respective careers. While the school you might attend might be the difference between you get that World Bank, IMF or NGO job, I think what you get out of a program is even more important. If the program of a school gives you a chance to make a difference in the future no matter the brand name of the school, I think that is even more satisfying than killing yourself over why one school picked you and the other did not. No getting into one particular school and getting an admission into another might be what actually catapults your career and makes your personal objectives achievable!

So, don't despair or be mad that HKS, WWS, Columbia, Syracuse, LBJ, Yale, NYU...etc (depending on your situation) did not give you an admission or give you enough aid to get into their program. It might just be the kick in the butt that you need to realise that this other school who admitted you might be what you really need to have a fulfilling life and a great time in grad school.

I wish you all the best as you make your decisions and decide on which program to attend! I am just glad this anxiety of checking forums, e-mails and contacting schools is finally over. Be well and have a fulfilling time in grad school!

I got the information today. Got into Harvard, Tufts and SAIS, all 3 emails came in with 4 hours last night.

I am an international student

GRE: 1410 (Math 790, Verbal 620), writing 4.5

3.6 GPA (econ major in NYU)

Had 3 years of working experience in a non-profit foundation doing China-US relations work.

It is still pretty weird that all 3 letters come together.

Will probably defer for a year due to work situation.