Fall 2024 Sociology Applications

mikayah02

Hey hey! I didn't see anyone post a thread yet for soc apps for Fall 2024. 

I am applying to the following programs: 

NYU Sociology PhD
Johns Hopkins Sociology PhD
Vanderbilt Sociology PhD
UNC-Chapel Hill Education PhD (Policy, Leadership, and School Improvement)
Princeton Sociology PhD
Duke Sociology PhD
Brown Sociology PhD

What about others? I am so nervous! What are you guys doing to fend off anxiety about admissions decisions?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi all

I'm international student and

I have applied to 

Princeton

Yale

UW

Indiana Bloomington

Rutgers

UCD(communication)

McGill

Hope the best for all of us

Hi all,

I am an international student and I applied:

UCLA UCI UCSD Yale Northwestern

JHU Brown

SUNY Albany CUNY Graduate Center

UMich UW-Madison 

TC Columbia Penn GSE

I hope the best for all of us...

I am a bit worried cuz I think these programs are way too good for me...

On 1/15/2024 at 10:14 PM, Lizesmore said:

Hi all,

I am an international student and I applied:

UCLA UCI UCSD Yale Northwestern

JHU Brown

SUNY Albany CUNY Graduate Center

UMich UW-Madison 

TC Columbia Penn GSE

I hope the best for all of us...

I am a bit worried cuz I think these programs are way too good for me...

Please don't take this the wrong way. But I want to say, get over it. Nothing is too good for you; you worked hard and identified schools. You put the work in and put yourself out there; you took a shot at yourself. Don't let people you have not met yet decide if you are too good or not for something. You got this!

I've seen several USC sociology acceptances from different websites, including reddit, gradcafe and another platform. It seems that they only send acceptance letters and do not send rejection or waitlist to other applicants, which is confusing... Did anyone receive anything?? From previous records of timeline, it seems like their "tradition". Not respected to applicants and professional as expected...

I saw 2 people were waitlisted for Boston College PhD program, and I'm still waiting to hear back. I'm assuming that I'm going to be rejected, but I haven't seen anything aside from the 2 waitlist posts and I'm kind of hoping they're fake, so then I might still have a chance. 

On 1/25/2024 at 9:20 PM, 24App said:

Can anyone claim the Stanford acceptance? It is a bit isolated considering the previous releasing time for acceptance.

Seeing as there were several acceptances posted, I'm assuming they are real... However, I still haven't gotten any news from Stanford. Is this normal? Do they send out waitlist/rejections this long after acceptances, or are they accepting in waves?

Edited by mediokra

Hi all!

I applied to six Sociology PhD programs:

• Harvard
  • Berkeley
  • Stanford
  • Yale
  • Princeton
  • Columbia

I just received my first decision. I was DENIED from Stanford, today, on January 31st, 2024. 

But I feel great!! My submission was super competitive and I'm very proud of the quality of work I produced. Excited for the next decisions to roll out!

Good luck to everyone!

Edited by JohnnySmith

On 1/30/2024 at 2:59 PM, mediokra said:

Seeing as there were several acceptances posted, I'm assuming they are real... However, I still haven't gotten any news from Stanford. Is this normal? Do they send out waitlist/rejections this long after acceptances, or are they accepting in waves?

Okay, not to harp on this… but it seems like Stanford sent out their acceptances a week ago and rejections yesterday/today. From previous years, they seem to do everything in these two batches.

With that said, I still only have “Submitted” as my status in the portal. Does anyone have insight to what that means? Should I reach out to the department or just keep waiting?

12 hours ago, mediokra said:

Okay, not to harp on this… but it seems like Stanford sent out their acceptances a week ago and rejections yesterday/today. From previous years, they seem to do everything in these two batches.

With that said, I still only have “Submitted” as my status in the portal. Does anyone have insight to what that means? Should I reach out to the department or just keep waiting?

I know it's hard. But I'd say wait. You will know sooner or later.

Has anyone heard back from UMass Amherst? This is my first time posting on any discussion forum on this site. Some folks have already uploaded their decisions, including two acceptances and one waitlist. It's my top choice program, and I fear I will be rejected despite being a good fit. I'm sharing my stats just for reference:

4.0 Graduate and 3.6 Undergraduate GPA; MA in Sociology funded via TA'ship for 5 semesters; Research experience including undergrad honors and master's thesis along with research assistant on two projects as an undergrad; multiple conference presentations, but no publications; co-authored paper that is a revise and resubmit, but unrelated to my research interest

Here are the other schools I applied to:

• UPitt
  • Florida State (in-state)
  • Boston U
  • Oklahoma State

Curious why things are fairly dead here, especially this far into the process! Applied to PhD programs at five schools. Got acceptances to UMN and Vanderbilt, waiting on Columbia, Princeton, and Georgetown. Princeton and Georgetown are PoliSci programs (I am focused on social movements so depending on the faculty I can fit into both disciplines okay). Whole process has been super nerve-wracking though I am super happy to have acceptances under my belt. Based on past years I imagine we still have a week or two before we hear from Columbia, anyone else waiting on that? 

Edited by GradSchoolTony3

I am also waiting for Columbia in addition to Harvard, Berkeley, Cornell, and MIT (HASTS program). And even though Stanford has sent out a bunch of acceptances and rejections… I’m still waiting on them too. 😩

Only one I have heard from was UPenn, which I got accepted to! Very relieved and happy with Penn, but anxiously awaiting other results.