University of Washington

I called and got some info.

40-50 applications still remain for 10-15 spots

But what does that even mean? That they've winnowed down the pile to 40-50 applications and they still have 10-15 spots to offer? When are they finally going to sort through that tiny pile? April 14th?

Baah. Is it pretty clear at this point that they aren't offering funding to their PhD students coming in with BAs? If so, I might as well notify my other schools...

I've just heard from Brian Reed (indeed a great guy), and I'm not going to have first-year funding. Obviously, this increases my desire to land a spot at Carnegie Mellon or Michigan State (off the waitlist). If I don't get in either, I'm probably going to go with UW anyway...just a tough break.

I was accepted to the PhD program last week and also received the no funding (for first year) email. Has anyone actually received funding from UW?

OK, I've reviewed this entire thread (if someone wants to comb the "Results," be my guest).

I count 4 acceptances to PhD programs and 1 MA acceptance.

None of the 4 PhD program accepted people explicitly stated that they were getting funding in the first year.

2 (including me) stated that they weren't.

The MA accepted student, meanwhile, did get funding.

Possible Conclusions: As Brian Reed indicated, this is about a dearth of funds, due to a state with no income tax and of course the overall economy. The conventional wisdom that "if a school really wants you, they'll pay for you" is probably imperfect in this scenario.

Just thought I'd speculate.

My concerns over funding in Washington State are why I did not apply to UW. Sorry to those denied funding for the first year. That's a tough spot.

Thanks (that provides an overview of the state's issues).

I'm pretty sure I'm going to try to wing it if I can't get into Carnegie Mellon or Michigan State. Obviously, getting in one of those with funding would make this a moot point.

I have also been accepted to UW's PhD program in English.

I talked to Prof Reed, and he told me that I am the first alternate for funding in my first-year.

So there have certainly been PhD students offered funding in there first-year.

He also told me that nearly 100% of students receive funding after their first-year for the duration of their studies.

So that made be feel a little better about attending UW (assuming that I don't get moved off the wait-list) but...

My other top-choice just informed that I have received a fellowship that will pay me $20,000 for each year of my studies (bar the final year, in which I will receive nearly $14,000).

That makes my decision slightly easier right now, but I am going to to visit UW and my other top-choice and then decide on which offer to take.

Is anyone else visiting UW? While they are not providing me any funds, they have been very helpful with setting up a visit.

If UW blow me away, I might be willing to fund my first-year.

We shall see.

I have also been accepted to UW's PhD program in English.

I talked to Prof Reed, and he told me that I am the first alternate for funding in my first-year.

So there have certainly been PhD students offered funding in there first-year.

He also told me that nearly 100% of students receive funding after their first-year for the duration of their studies.

So that made be feel a little better about attending UW (assuming that I don't get moved off the wait-list) but...

My other top-choice just informed that I have received a fellowship that will pay me $20,000 for each year of my studies (bar the final year, in which I will receive nearly $14,000).

That makes my decision slightly easier right now, but I am going to to visit UW and my other top-choice and then decide on which offer to take.

Is anyone else visiting UW? While they are not providing me any funds, they have been very helpful with setting up a visit.

If UW blow me away, I might be willing to fund my first-year.

We shall see.

Thanks for the details! And congratulations on your success.

OK, I've reviewed this entire thread (if someone wants to comb the "Results," be my guest).

I count 4 acceptances to PhD programs and 1 MA acceptance.

None of the 4 PhD program accepted people explicitly stated that they were getting funding in the first year.

2 (including me) stated that they weren't.

The MA accepted student, meanwhile, did get funding.

Possible Conclusions: As Brian Reed indicated, this is about a dearth of funds, due to a state with no income tax and of course the overall economy. The conventional wisdom that "if a school really wants you, they'll pay for you" is probably imperfect in this scenario.

Just thought I'd speculate.

Maybe I can clear things up: I posted the accept with funding for the MA. Though, I am somewhat confused; I have a BA only and applied to the master's but I was accepted with 5 years guaranteed funding. So maybe it would be more accurate to say I was a PhD accept? Sorry for the confusion, I'm also confused as to how they're program works. Brian Reed referred to it as the MA/PhD program so I'm a PhD accept but at the Masters level I guess. Hope that helps.

I just got my acceptance letter to the MA program. The letter says that there was "an extremely competitive pool" of 465 applicants this year. This is the only school I reapplied to after being rejected last year, so it feels great!

No word on funding, and I'm not really expecting any since it's a Master's. I think that the only way I'd take this offer over the one from Carnegie Mellon is if it were fully-funded, and I will definitely not take this offer over a potential one from UT or UF since those programs are PhD.

Good luck to all!

I just got my acceptance letter to the MA program. The letter says that there was "an extremely competitive pool" of 465 applicants this year. This is the only school I reapplied to after being rejected last year, so it feels great!

No word on funding, and I'm not really expecting any since it's a Master's. I think that the only way I'd take this offer over the one from Carnegie Mellon is if it were fully-funded, and I will definitely not take this offer over a potential one from UT or UF since those programs are PhD.

Good luck to all!

Congratulations and thanks for the details.

Maybe I can clear things up: I posted the accept with funding for the MA. Though, I am somewhat confused; I have a BA only and applied to the master's but I was accepted with 5 years guaranteed funding. So maybe it would be more accurate to say I was a PhD accept? Sorry for the confusion, I'm also confused as to how they're program works. Brian Reed referred to it as the MA/PhD program so I'm a PhD accept but at the Masters level I guess. Hope that helps.

I think you get this,but I am fairly sure this means that you're in the rare category of student accepted to the PhD program directly out of undergrad. To get funding on top of that (especially at a school with so little funding) is quite an achievement. Three things for you:

1. Congratulations.

2. Do be sure I'm right about this.

3. What is your area of study?

I think you get this,but I am fairly sure this means that you're in the rare category of student accepted to the PhD program directly out of undergrad. To get funding on top of that (especially at a school with so little funding) is quite an achievement. Three things for you:

1. Congratulations.

2. Do be sure I'm right about this.

3. What is your area of study?

Thanks! I'm really dumbfounded by this, especially after all my other rejections. My area is early American, and I'm also interested in narrative theory and cultural studies.

I am strongly considering a visit at the end of this month (I have a new job and the CCCC conference in the first week of April, so it's my last chance to size up the situation). Would be interested in trying to coordinate my visit with anyone in here (who knows, maybe we could split some costs) if they'd be interested.

Of course...that would mean shedding our secret identities! The horror!

Edited by Rhet Man

Just got a follow-up email to my inquiry about MA funding. Apparently I've been accepted to the MA/PhD program, and they are assuring me that "the transition from MA to PhD is internal and non-competitive". So . . . I guess I just got into my first PhD program . . . ? I'm slightly confused, but apparently Brian Reed is going to follow up with more information, including about funding.

If this offer is funded, it will easily become my best option. I'd still wait out UT's list, but . . . wow.

p.s.- I also have a BA only, so I think that I'm kind of in the same boat as woolfie.

Edited by tortola23

Just got a follow-up email to my inquiry about MA funding. Apparently I've been accepted to the MA/PhD program, and they are assuring me that "the transition from MA to PhD is internal and non-competitive". So . . . I guess I just got into my first PhD program . . . ? I'm slightly confused, but apparently Brian Reed is going to follow up with more information, including about funding.

If this offer is funded, it will easily become my best option. I'd still wait out UT's list, but . . . wow.

p.s.- I also have a BA only, so I think that I'm kind of in the same boat as woolfie.

Well, then same-boatian congratulations are in order!

No funding is available the first year. Very apologetic email from the DGS.

Unfortunately, I have other offers that are at least partially funded. I really doubt I could afford to live in Seattle for a year without any money. Hmm. Definitely still holding out hope for those wait-lists.

About a week and a half after receiving an acceptance to UW's "MA" program (I had applied to the PhD) and a note that funding info would come soon, I had mostly written it off, having not heard back from the DGS.

Today, however, I decided to contact the dept. just to be certain that I was an unfunded MA. To my surprise, I was accepted to the MA/PhD but was waitlisted for funding.

Not sure what the communication issue with UW is, and why everything is done by postal mail, but if there are any "lurkers" here, I would definitely recommend emailing if you have questions about your acceptance (or status in general.) The reply emails that I received were really cordial.

Not sure what the communication issue with UW is, and why everything is done by postal mail, but if there are any "lurkers" here, I would definitely recommend emailing if you have questions about your acceptance (or status in general.) The reply emails that I received were really cordial.

I emailed Brian Reed and he responded very quickly, as did Jennifer Siembor. Maybe contact them?

Yeah, I emailed today, and that's how I found out the above info. Both were really nice and sincere. Prof. Reed was really honest about the funding situation, which sounds gloomy to say the least, but at least I know now!

I emailed Brian Reed and he responded very quickly, as did Jennifer Siembor. Maybe contact them?

About a week and a half after receiving an acceptance to UW's "MA" program (I had applied to the PhD) and a note that funding info would come soon, I had mostly written it off, having not heard back from the DGS.

Today, however, I decided to contact the dept. just to be certain that I was an unfunded MA. To my surprise, I was accepted to the MA/PhD but was waitlisted for funding.

Congratulations!

The funding situation sounds VERY bleak at Washington. I am sort of juggling my wait-lists at UT and UF with my admits at UW and Carnegie Mellon right now. Even though Carnegie Mellon is only willing to do half-funding, they're still a better deal than UW, especially since UW probably can't even guarantee second-year funding. UF would be awesome, but their funding is low this year. UT would be the best: excellent funding, a well-funded program overall, and financially stable.

SIGH.

I see your SIGH and raise you an I CAN'T DO THIS.

I have just declined UW's offer after reviewing what my financial situation would be for a year. I'm a little embarrassed to have made plans to visit only to pull a 360 on them, but we all make mistakes.

I am now back to a more pure form of waitlist limbo as I wait to hear from Carnegie Mellon and Michigan State.