LB349 Posted March 20 Posted March 20 Does most waitlist movement happen on or before April 15th? Also thinking about NYU.
gafoo Posted March 20 Posted March 20 11 minutes ago, LB349 said: Does most waitlist movement happen on or before April 15th? Also thinking about NYU. Seems like a lot happens in the week or two prior, but there's definitely a big surge on the day-of as the final cascade happens. And then a trickle in the following week as schools scramble to refill their cohorts from the people who declined acceptance on April 15. SocialKonstruct and arghgradapps 1 1
matchasimsbury Posted March 20 Posted March 20 18 minutes ago, arghgradapps said: its all so subjective. ive gotten 4 offers and 4 waitlists but rejected from the Tin House/MWC Summer Workshop LOL. hope this gives everyone some perspective i also just got rejected from that workshop yesterday LOL glad im not alone quetza1e5 and arghgradapps 1 1
arghgradapps Posted March 20 Posted March 20 Just now, matchasimsbury said: i also just got rejected from that workshop yesterday LOL glad im not alone i was kind of relieved lol now i can just have a chill summer job before starting my MFA. i don't really want to be workshopping in the summer too😅 quetza1e5, greenleaf, matchasimsbury and 1 other 3 1
gupppy Posted March 20 Posted March 20 1 hour ago, matchasimsbury said: i also just got rejected from that workshop yesterday LOL glad im not alone do yall know if they've sent out any acceptances?
martysupreme Posted March 20 Posted March 20 22 minutes ago, gupppy said: do yall know if they've sent out any acceptances? wondering the same! i would have assumed they sent out acceptances first, then waitlists and rejections. i applied and haven't heard at all so idk. i wonder why they wouldn't just send out all rejections at once gupppy 1
gupppy Posted March 20 Posted March 20 Just now, martysupreme said: wondering the same! i would have assumed they sent out acceptances first, then waitlists and rejections. i applied and haven't heard at all so idk. i wonder why they wouldn't just send out all rejections at once same, i applied and haven't heard back😅
arghgradapps Posted March 21 Posted March 21 (edited) what is ur problem @JUSTVERDE  i wish there was a block feature on this site. i cannot imagine being so angry about random people discussing MFAs. I really cannot. Edited March 21 by arghgradapps greenleaf, Hank Moody, madsmadsmads and 11 others 7 7
maxmaxmax Posted March 21 Posted March 21 1 hour ago, arghgradapps said: what is ur problem JUSTVERDE. i wish there was a block feature on this site. i cannot imagine being so angry about random people discussing MFAs. I really cannot. I agree. He makes this forum feel really negative. Its hard to believe JUSTVERDE is a well regarded poet and artist when this is the environment he is actively creating quetza1e5, lisichka, SocialKonstruct and 3 others 4 2
arghgradapps Posted March 21 Posted March 21 (edited) 13 minutes ago, maxmaxmax said: I agree. He makes this forum feel really negative. Its hard to believe JUSTVERDE is a well regarded poet and artist when this is the environment he is actively creating it's crazy. like actually crazy. i'm like imagining him tweaking out for no reason and thinking...yesssss...i NEED to go on gradcafe and ... downvote someone talking about wanting a chill summer job before doing an MFA?????????????  Edited March 21 by arghgradapps quetza1e5, lisichka, JamesJames and 8 others 9 2
linesofdemarcation Posted March 21 Posted March 21 Any word on UNCG? Looks like the spreadsheet shows quite a lot of poetry interviews, but not too many fiction. Going crazy waiting, especially with other programs asking for a decision - UNCG's early action deadline was in December, so it feels like a million years. bioluminescent sloth and LucaCampagnoli 1 1
bluecarpet Posted March 22 Posted March 22 On 3/18/2026 at 7:43 PM, blergatron5000 said: Has anyone heard from Iowa State yet? Their submission deadline was comparatively late (January 5) but they tend to notify people around this time. I've heard nothing yet. I don't have facebook so I can't see the spreadsheet. Some interviews on March 9, nothing else on draft since then (also waiting to hear from them... I didn't get interviewed...) SocialKonstruct and blergatron5000 2
molemola Posted March 22 Posted March 22 I declined a space at GMU before interviews happened, so hopefully that helps someone get funding. This week, I'm also hoping to get information on an additional fellowship from one of my schools. Once I have a yea or nay on that I can make my decision, I think.
barbou Posted March 22 Posted March 22 On 3/20/2026 at 9:40 PM, arghgradapps said: it's crazy. like actually crazy. i'm like imagining him tweaking out for no reason and thinking...yesssss...i NEED to go on gradcafe and ... downvote someone talking about wanting a chill summer job before doing an MFA?????????????  I feel like this could be the same person - https://www.reddit.com/r/MFAInCreativeWriting/comments/1rn8op6/i_got_into_a_great_mfa_writing_program_and_im_not/ Same rancid vibes and IMO scattershot approach to trolling (is justverde here just for the sake of his sympathetic and very real mentee? Or is he the one applying? Are all MFA programs bullshit, or did he just get in to one of the best ones?) kiyaar, lisichka, guntherpingu and 4 others 2 4 1
barbou Posted March 22 Posted March 22 On 3/14/2026 at 1:19 PM, pigorfrog said: i know! though i'm sure they'll try to push for this next week A few days away from the Bennington deadline, how're we doing? I was leaning WW, especially after reading through their handbook (the way it's structured sounds so intentional and organized, and a bit intimidating as it sounds very serious and rigorous - but I think that would also be good for me) but I just had a great call with a Bennington grad and a lot of what she said about the best parts of the program really spoke to me, so I continue to be kind of torn lol. JamesJames and maxmaxmax 2
pigorfrog Posted March 22 Posted March 22 7 minutes ago, barbou said: A few days away from the Bennington deadline, how're we doing? I was leaning WW, especially after reading through their handbook (the way it's structured sounds so intentional and organized, and a bit intimidating as it sounds very serious and rigorous - but I think that would also be good for me) but I just had a great call with a Bennington grad and a lot of what she said about the best parts of the program really spoke to me, so I continue to be kind of torn lol. Heard back from WW and was so excited. I'm very much leaning WW (even before this application season I was like, I only really want to apply to WW.) I also read through the whole handbook and felt the same way as you, ha! The only thing that gives me pause now is that Bennington's $ offer makes it significantly more affordable than WW. Kinda just waiting it out until B's deadline to make sure my mind is clear. But i'm interested in what you thought were the most compelling parts of Bennington's program, if you could share? maxmaxmax and JamesJames 2
arghgradapps Posted March 22 Posted March 22 3 hours ago, barbou said: I feel like this could be the same person - https://www.reddit.com/r/MFAInCreativeWriting/comments/1rn8op6/i_got_into_a_great_mfa_writing_program_and_im_not/ Same rancid vibes and IMO scattershot approach to trolling (is justverde here just for the sake of his sympathetic and very real mentee? Or is he the one applying? Are all MFA programs bullshit, or did he just get in to one of the best ones?) pleasseee it does sound the same. i think he will be disappointed when/if he matriculates from his MFA and has made no friends, no great connections, and rather than "pissed a lot of people off" with his mediocre work, his peers will probably just roll their eyes and go hang out somewhere without him. there's your writing community, @JUSTVERDE, you sound like the worst, fuck you and your mentee. your poetry aint so great either my friend. count yourself lucky if you did get into an MFA and try to be kind and normal, that's my advice to you. greenleaf, lisichka, gupppy and 4 others 2 4 1
arghgradapps Posted March 22 Posted March 22 (edited) 10 minutes ago, arghgradapps said: pleasseee it does sound the same. i think he will be disappointed when/if he matriculates from his MFA and has made no friends, no great connections, and rather than "pissed a lot of people off" with his mediocre work, his peers will probably just roll their eyes and go hang out somewhere without him. there's your writing community, @JUSTVERDE, you sound like the worst, fuck you and your mentee. your poetry aint so great either my friend. count yourself lucky if you did get into an MFA and try to be kind and normal, that's my advice to you. also - sounds like this is someone who only got into Columbia...notoriously easier to be accepted to and not actually one of the "best" MFAs since they want you to pay your life savings. LOL i think the joke will be on them, but I would still advise them not to pay for an MFA since that's just the kind of gal I am Edited March 22 by arghgradapps guntherpingu, ojo534, SocialKonstruct and 1 other 1 2 1
quetza1e5 Posted March 22 Posted March 22 Still waiting on BU & NYU 🫠. When everything settles it will be such a relief! JamesJames 1
yamselot Posted March 22 Posted March 22 30 minutes ago, birdfriend67 said: Still waiting on BU & NYU 🫠. When everything settles it will be such a relief! I'm afraid the acceptances for BU have already gone out, but I've only heard of one so I will continue to delude myself ! quetza1e5 1
oomphies Posted March 23 Posted March 23 i wish Arizona and Irvine would just end my misery and send their rejections out  meanwhile, ojo534, bucket and 1 other 3 1
gafoo Posted March 23 Posted March 23 Fellow waitlisters—how are you handling this period of ambiguity? If you have a school that you think might convert, are you reaching out to students, faculty, researching more about the place/program, considering a visit? Are you also terrified about the scenario where you have to make a rushed decision for an acceptance on/after April 15 for one school's offer while the others haven't finalized yet? I have enough waitlists where I'm ""high up"" that I think one of them will convert. But it's also possible I get into none of the programs! ojo534, strawberrymatcha, JamesJames and 2 others 4 1
barbou Posted March 23 Posted March 23 (edited) 9 hours ago, pigorfrog said: Heard back from WW and was so excited. I'm very much leaning WW (even before this application season I was like, I only really want to apply to WW.) I also read through the whole handbook and felt the same way as you, ha! The only thing that gives me pause now is that Bennington's $ offer makes it significantly more affordable than WW. Kinda just waiting it out until B's deadline to make sure my mind is clear. But i'm interested in what you thought were the most compelling parts of Bennington's program, if you could share? Sent you a super long DM but figured I'll try to post a more succinct thing here since I think others are curious too... After sitting with my thoughts a bit more, I'm realizing that part of my issue with deciding is that anyone I talk to who loved their program and is super passionate about it has the power to change my mind and make me think that sounds like the best program ever. Like, one of the things I was wowed by when talking to the Bennington grad was a particular instructor they worked with who was amazing, and "changed my writing more than anyone ever has"...so here's me thinking, "omg, I want an amazing instructor who will change my writing more than anyone ever has!!" ...but I'm sure someone from Warren Wilson could say the exact same thing about mentors they loved! So, I still think WW is the one for me, partly due to their reputation for being the most rigorous and craft focused program (which I think isn't just reputation and is reflected in the handbook and semester plans), but the things that turned my head about Bennington were: - They give students more info about the business aspects of writing (via their professional development seminars) whereas the WW grad I spoke to said there's almost no discussion of that aspect. It seems like this may translate to Bennington grads being better poised to query agents and publish (and as far as alumni publications, if you look at WW's list it seems very impressive, but it includes all time. If you pull that list and run it through a script to limit to just the past 10 years, it shrinks more than you may expect, and Bennington starts to look more impressive I think). That said, I think I'm going to put my faith in the craft focus and hope that's the best investment of my time - come out having improved as much as I possibly can, and hopefully have reason to learn about the business of publishing later. - Cleaner and more well maintained living quarters, much better food...as I mentioned in my longer message, that shouldn't necessarily be so important, but I have heard multiple people refer to the WW housing as "icky," "gross," or "run down," most likely related to the fact that undergrads doing their required time on a work crew are the ones responsible for cleaning and maintenance, SO I thought I'd mention it for everyone's awareness! [lol, this is me being succinct...maybe Warren Wilson can help me learn parsimony]. Edited March 23 by barbou pigorfrog 1
delraiser Posted March 23 Posted March 23 just getting a temperature check, rutgers-newark release anything yet (fiction)? i already am positive i'm rejected but i just wanna make sure since it's been silent on that end.  if so-- that's 7 for 7 for me. i'll be seeing everyone next year :')
junebugboy Posted March 23 Posted March 23 28 minutes ago, delraiser said: just getting a temperature check, rutgers-newark release anything yet (fiction)? i already am positive i'm rejected but i just wanna make sure since it's been silent on that end.  if so-- that's 7 for 7 for me. i'll be seeing everyone next year :') I see a few fiction acceptances from early March. Sorry
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now