TPike Posted March 30 Posted March 30 Does anyone know if there’s something different going on with UMD’s funding this year? I was under the impression that they fund 3 fiction and 3 poetry candidates, but I’m on the waitlist and was told it if I got off the waitlist it would be for an unfunded spot and then might get funding if one of those spots are turned down.
Walter Hartwell White Posted March 30 Posted March 30 Visiting VCU as a waitlisted candidate today… hoping it goes well! guntherpingu 1
impatientjoy Posted March 30 Posted March 30 Feeling a bit confused about Idaho! I’m on their waitlist and they communicated they had 1-3 spots for poetry. But it seems like in the rejection email that went out, they told people there’s only one poetry spot? Just curious if anyone has insight into this. Idaho is my top program, but if there’s only one poetry spot, it feels pretty unlikely that I’ll see movement off the waitlist.
arghgradapps Posted March 30 Posted March 30 21 hours ago, lizard in a blizzard said: Got off the waitlist at Michener! yayyy congrats! were you on any other waitlists/sitting on other offers?
linesofdemarcation Posted March 30 Posted March 30 Anyone else still waiting on programs? I haven't yet heard back from Warren Wilson or Bard - wondering if they send rejections by snail mail.
precociousreader Posted March 30 Posted March 30 expecting a waitlist or straight rejection from columbia (playwriting) and i'm just so tired of the wait. just send me the email. put me out of my misery! its the only thing i'm waiting for before i decline my one acceptance. i know it isn't a fit, and i feel really bad because a faculty member at the uni really is fighting for me, but after talking to lots of students there, especially one in particular, i fear it both won't give me what i need as a writer AND that i'm a diversity quota acceptance (in the sense that!) just let me know if there's something to wait for columbia pleek. JamesJames and adoubles_writing 2
gafoo Posted March 30 Posted March 30 2 hours ago, impatientjoy said: Feeling a bit confused about Idaho! I’m on their waitlist and they communicated they had 1-3 spots for poetry. But it seems like in the rejection email that went out, they told people there’s only one poetry spot? Just curious if anyone has insight into this. Idaho is my top program, but if there’s only one poetry spot, it feels pretty unlikely that I’ll see movement off the waitlist. Lol I was surprised by that too… also 4 CNF, 1 poetry and 1 fiction is such a strange ratio. Both because that’s such a strange balance AND because I feel like CNF is always the one with fewer spots? impatientjoy 1
adoubles_writing Posted March 30 Posted March 30 On 3/27/2026 at 3:18 PM, meanwhile said: just needing to vent momentarily. i am in the top spot of a waitlist for a program i am very excited about and have gotten (and will most likely receive) rejections from every other program i applied for. my nerves are through the roof. i was ready to write this cycle off as all rejects but this is a kind of painful glimmer of hope that is dragging on. i am SO grateful, but also exhausted. is anyone else in a similar boat? where it’s sooooooo close and literally within reasonable reach, but still possibly impossible? same here. rejected from all but a program I simply can't afford, and waitlisted for my first choice which is also well within my budget. Their acceptance deadline for admits was 10 days ago though, so I imagine they're just sharpening their rejection email for me at this point. meanwhile 1
potentialyeti Posted March 30 Posted March 30 19 hours ago, womanonline said: FINALLLYYYYYY. I hope CNF hits soon. UArizona and UNLV are the only two I haven't heard from, and it feels unbelievably late to not have heard anything. I think I'm going to email UArizona tomorrow and finally check in because I swear I've seen them send out acceptances and waitlists on the spreadsheet awhile back, so I don't understand why they won't put me out of my misery. Big same. It's so late not to have heard anything. I'm still waiting on a poetry response from UNLV, and all the results in draft so far are just for fiction cry bioluminescent sloth 1
adoubles_writing Posted March 30 Posted March 30 Has anyone heard anything from the University of British Columbia waitlist? Their grad support has been so unresponsive it's honestly starting to feel like a personal slight. I responded to my waitlist announcement with a question (a month ago) and didn't hear back, then on the acceptance deadline for admits, I just sent a note of continued interest and also asked about estimated timelines, and did not hear back. I understand waitlists are not the priority, but this feels like a kind of snobbery. It's really turning me off and I almost wish I had a strong acceptance so I could tell them to f off. I've seen a lot of comments of people on other waitlists getting specific feedback, and also getting some kind of advocacy in the program, but UBC can't be bothered to answer basic questions...
Idktbh Posted March 30 Posted March 30 5 hours ago, TPike said: Does anyone know if there’s something different going on with UMD’s funding this year? I was under the impression that they fund 3 fiction and 3 poetry candidates, but I’m on the waitlist and was told it if I got off the waitlist it would be for an unfunded spot and then might get funding if one of those spots are turned down. What genre are you? I’ve heard the funding issues are for poetry as they’re waiting to see if they’ll get state funding but apparently it doesn’t affect fiction students.
spg_ Posted March 30 Posted March 30 officially rejected from the waitlist at VCU for fiction, meaning it's a shut out this year. It's funny--I'm actually at a writing residency right now and feeling so inspired by all the writers and artists and composers here and it both redoubles my desire for an MFA and reminds me that I don't *need* one to be a writer. To anyone else feeling bummed about rejections, may you keep writing, keep pushing forward, keep inspiration alive. And who knows, maybe I'll be right back here next year, haven't decided yet! MamaCats, guntherpingu, bioluminescent sloth and 7 others 10
madsmadsmads Posted March 30 Posted March 30 Does anyone know about any successful waitlist movement from previous years at UMich? Particularly in poetry? It's my top choice, and I am trying so hard to hold on to some hope, but feeling so nervous. Doesn't look very hopeful from looking at draft.
molemola Posted March 30 Posted March 30 24 minutes ago, Idktbh said: What genre are you? I’ve heard the funding issues are for poetry as they’re waiting to see if they’ll get state funding but apparently it doesn’t affect fiction students. My understanding is they have 3 funded fiction, 3 unfunded fiction acceptances offered at the moment. 5 minutes ago, madsmadsmads said: Does anyone know about any successful waitlist movement from previous years at UMich? Particularly in poetry? It's my top choice, and I am trying so hard to hold on to some hope, but feeling so nervous. Doesn't look very hopeful from looking at draft. Idk if this is helpful, but fwiw, I only just formally accepted an offer and released my other acceptances today. I was waiting on a decision about extra funding from the university (not the department), and it took forever for that to get processed. I would imagine a lot of decisions like that are taking longer this year, and that might be impacting how long people are holding off on making a decision, pushing waitlist notifications out. dyedviolet, gafoo and mouthfullofmercury 3
TPike Posted March 30 Posted March 30 39 minutes ago, Idktbh said: What genre are you? I’ve heard the funding issues are for poetry as they’re waiting to see if they’ll get state funding but apparently it doesn’t affect fiction students. Poetry. Thanks for letting me know!
Emblazonries Posted March 30 Posted March 30 2 hours ago, linesofdemarcation said: Anyone else still waiting on programs? I haven't yet heard back from Warren Wilson or Bard - wondering if they send rejections by snail mail. Waiting on Montana for fiction! Assuming rejection at this point since its so late, but I do wish they'd just put me out of my misery... dyedviolet 1
dyedviolet Posted March 30 Posted March 30 6 minutes ago, Emblazonries said: Waiting on Montana for fiction! Assuming rejection at this point since its so late, but I do wish they'd just put me out of my misery... Same! A part of me is still clinging to hope since it's been a slow year everywhere, but just knowing the answer will be better than waiting. Emblazonries 1
madsmadsmads Posted March 30 Posted March 30 34 minutes ago, molemola said: Idk if this is helpful, but fwiw, I only just formally accepted an offer and released my other acceptances today. I was waiting on a decision about extra funding from the university (not the department), and it took forever for that to get processed. I would imagine a lot of decisions like that are taking longer this year, and that might be impacting how long people are holding off on making a decision, pushing waitlist notifications out. Okay, that's good to know! Were you negotiating funding at UMichigan? And did you accept? If so, I really hope to see you there (if my waitlist end up being anything lol)
molemola Posted March 30 Posted March 30 2 minutes ago, madsmadsmads said: Okay, that's good to know! Were you negotiating funding at UMichigan? And did you accept? If so, I really hope to see you there (if my waitlist end up being anything lol) nope! a different school. I also didn't get the extra funding, ha. madsmadsmads 1
Idktbh Posted March 30 Posted March 30 46 minutes ago, molemola said: My understanding is they have 3 funded fiction, 3 unfunded fiction acceptances offered at the moment. Idk if this is helpful, but fwiw, I only just formally accepted an offer and released my other acceptances today. I was waiting on a decision about extra funding from the university (not the department), and it took forever for that to get processed. I would imagine a lot of decisions like that are taking longer this year, and that might be impacting how long people are holding off on making a decision, pushing waitlist notifications out. That’s so strange for UMD to make unfunded offers considering they advertise themselves as a fully funded program. Do you know anything about how this affects people on the waitlists? I’m tempted to just email the program coordinator to ask but skeptical about how forthcoming they will be considering they have made no indication of funding issues/changes. TPike 1
molemola Posted March 30 Posted March 30 2 minutes ago, Idktbh said: That’s so strange for UMD to make unfunded offers considering they advertise themselves as a fully funded program. Do you know anything about how this affects people on the waitlists? I’m tempted to just email the program coordinator to ask but skeptical about how forthcoming they will be considering they have made no indication of funding issues/changes. I have no idea, I'm sorry!
SocialKonstruct Posted March 30 Posted March 30 39 minutes ago, dyedviolet said: Same! A part of me is still clinging to hope since it's been a slow year everywhere, but just knowing the answer will be better than waiting. Same here. Going to go as quickly to a MFA or Ph.D. program before next year happens in this dumpster fire of a country nose-diving into the ground. Awaiting two more schools...
gafoo Posted March 30 Posted March 30 Feeling pretty crushed about VCU rejection off the waitlist. I really let myself think that the messaging of "#1 on the waitlist" meant I'd end up getting in on April 15—I had calls with current students and both of the program directors, planned out CoL, looked at neighborhoods, reallyyyy let myself believe I might live in Richmond. This whole process is going to be the death of me lmao friendned, jka0124, bucket and 7 others 10
meanwhile Posted March 30 Posted March 30 18 minutes ago, gafoo said: Feeling pretty crushed about VCU rejection off the waitlist. I really let myself think that the messaging of "#1 on the waitlist" meant I'd end up getting in on April 15—I had calls with current students and both of the program directors, planned out CoL, looked at neighborhoods, reallyyyy let myself believe I might live in Richmond. This whole process is going to be the death of me lmao feeling this so much. haven’t been rejected yet, but the 1st on the waitlist email i received even said they thought they would see movement by now and haven’t. am trying to remain optimistic and even trying to get excited about applying next cycle, but rn, the thought of doing this over again is making me wince. getting SO close like this is truly maddening 🥲 gafoo, dyedviolet, bluecarpet and 2 others 5
friendned Posted March 30 Posted March 30 2 hours ago, gafoo said: Feeling pretty crushed about VCU rejection off the waitlist. I really let myself think that the messaging of "#1 on the waitlist" meant I'd end up getting in on April 15—I had calls with current students and both of the program directors, planned out CoL, looked at neighborhoods, reallyyyy let myself believe I might live in Richmond. This whole process is going to be the death of me lmao Totally feel this. On a few waitlists myself, not sure of what's going to happen. I had a second interview with UNCG for fiction last week and I'm hoping I'll land a spot. The wait is agonizing!! dyedviolet and arghgradapps 2
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now