Womp womp...

ViridianMambo

I had a boyfriend once break up with me through a text message after a year together. "It's not going to work." I sort of wish adcoms would do that. 140 characters or less - like ripping off a band-aid.

lol my ex-boyfriend of a year a half broke up with me over email. Granted it was a long email, but ... it was an email.

This is a summary of a rejection I received a couple of years ago (my first attempt at getting into a PhD program).

Dear applicant (LOSER),

We thank you for your interest (APPLICATION FEE) in our program. We received a record number of applications this year from highly qualified applicants (PEOPLE WAY BETTER THAN YOU). Unfortunately, there are limited positions for PhD candidates in our program (WINNERS), and we are unable to admit all that applied (LOSERS LIKE YOU FOR INSTANCE). We wish you the best of luck in your career (FOOD SERVICE INDUSTRY JOB) and academic (PARALEGAL STUDIES AT DEVRY INSTITUTE) endeavors.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha .... fantastic !!!!

Here's one I liked:

"I would like to keep your application open as the opportunity for its further consideration may occur, but it is unlikely."

Translated:

"You might still have a chance. Not!"

Wow, that's kind of...passive aggressive huh.gif

Yeah, I think that one line bugged me for days, actually. I didn't know what to think of it... until I just stopped thinking about it altogether!

They could have just chosen not to add that part to the letter; all that line meant to me was "you're not good enough to be even wait-listed," and if I'm already rejected, who cares?

Wow, that's kind of...passive aggressive huh.gif

Rejection letters have a reputation for being long and talking about how sad and hard it was to reject us. Acceptance letters are more like a brief: "Whoo hoo!"

Consequently, I propose a switch! Rejection letters can stick with a simple: "Sorry, you didn't get in this year." Instead, spend the extra text on letters of acceptance- that go on and on to mention the positives of us and our applications. :P

Rejection letters have a reputation for being long and talking about how sad and hard it was to reject us. Acceptance letters are more like a brief: "Whoo hoo!"

Consequently, I propose a switch! Rejection letters can stick with a simple: "Sorry, you didn't get in this year." Instead, spend the extra text on letters of acceptance- that go on and on to mention the positives of us and our applications. :P

I concur

These are all making me feel a little better about my track record.

UC Davis rejected me by sending me an email that read "You may review the decision after 8:00 a.m. PST on February 11, 2011, by accessing your UC Davis application on the online admission web site." I checked the site two days before this emboldened date and they had not only rejected me, but given me FOUR explicit reasons why I was in fact not fit for their program, all of which included the phrase "not competitive" and one which said that I was not prepared for advanced studies whatsoever. Basically, I barely have enough grasp on the English language to justify my applying at all.

Now they've posted a letter that says all of this in slightly kinder terms, but the last paragraph opens with "If you have any questions regarding the reasons for your denial, please feel free to contact the admissions adviser of the [Admit Major] graduate program". Thanks for taking the time to customize my letter, jerks!

Yes, being waitlisted feels more painful than being rejected.

When I applied for MD last year, the school gave an applicant day which includes an interview and written test. Decisions should have been made after that. But I was 'selected' for a 2nd interview a month later. The person on the phone said a lot on how rare it is for them to interview an applicant again. It took almost another month after the 2nd interview to receive the notification that I was rejected. In the meanwhile, I had lost count of the number of lengthy emails they sent to me implying that I was still on the waitlist.

I naively thought I could get it and wanted the MD so badly. Consequently, I missed the deadlines for PhD programs that year. I swore never to apply to that school again.

UC Davis rejected me by sending me an email that read "You may review the decision after 8:00 a.m. PST on February 11, 2011, by accessing your UC Davis application on the online admission web site." I checked the site two days before this emboldened date and they had not only rejected me, but given me FOUR explicit reasons why I was in fact not fit for their program, all of which included the phrase "not competitive" and one which said that I was not prepared for advanced studies whatsoever. Basically, I barely have enough grasp on the English language to justify my applying at all.

Now they've posted a letter that says all of this in slightly kinder terms, but the last paragraph opens with "If you have any questions regarding the reasons for your denial, please feel free to contact the admissions adviser of the [Admit Major] graduate program". Thanks for taking the time to customize my letter, jerks!

Wow, that's harsh. At least most of the ones that have been posted tried to couch their rejections in either generic, 'faint praise', or passive-aggressive language, but the personal specificity of those 'reasons' would make me pretty upset. I'd rather be just one in a pile of rejects given the same rejection letter than have my specific faults and problems picked out like that.

Edited by wtncffts

So I guess they're not looking for an application from you in the future, huh?