A SCREEEEEEEEEAM INTO THE SILENCE

GGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Four rejections in one day!

F-O-U-R

Jesus, I'm sorry. I just got my first official rejection, and it has completely ruined my day. I wish I hadn't checked my email until Booze O'Clock at night.

My playlist lately has included more stuff like The Ramones and The Bloodhound Gang. Fueling my misery, I guess.

Edited by tortola23

Osodulce, I'm really sorry to hear that you've had such a rough day! Five really is just beyond tolerable measure. I don't know if this will help cheer you up at all, but I'm going to contact Kansas early next week and let them know that they can give my funding and spot to someone else. I was thinking of waiting for more offers, but I know I'll take my other guaranteed offer instead. Knowing that it might help someone worry a bit less made up my mind. I'll email Monday. I sure hope it's you so that you'll have a guaranteed spot while waiting for the rest of your decisions. Best of luck :)

My grandfather's in palliative care in the hospital and they're pretty much giving him between the next few hours and the next few days to live -- and they've been saying this for two days. Coming home from classes and staying at the hospital for most of the day only to find a rejection from Brown and an implicit from NYU didn't hurt as much as it would regularly since it's the least of my worries, but it certainly didn't feel good. I'm... just kinda numb about everything right now, but I know that once things settle down in a week or so and all it all catches up with me, it's gonna be rough.

My grandfather's in palliative care in the hospital and they're pretty much giving him between the next few hours and the next few days to live -- and they've been saying this for two days. Coming home from classes and staying at the hospital for most of the day only to find a rejection from Brown and an implicit from NYU didn't hurt as much as it would regularly since it's the least of my worries, but it certainly didn't feel good. I'm... just kinda numb about everything right now, but I know that once things settle down in a week or so and all it all catches up with me, it's gonna be rough.

I'm sorry about your grandfather.

Osodulce, I'm really sorry to hear that you've had such a rough day! Five really is just beyond tolerable measure. I don't know if this will help cheer you up at all, but I'm going to contact Kansas early next week and let them know that they can give my funding and spot to someone else. I was thinking of waiting for more offers, but I know I'll take my other guaranteed offer instead. Knowing that it might help someone worry a bit less made up my mind. I'll email Monday. I sure hope it's you so that you'll have a guaranteed spot while waiting for the rest of your decisions. Best of luck :)

I didn't apply to Kansas, but just wanted to say this post made me really happy :) It's just wonderful to see this kind of fellow feeling, and that's exactly why I love the Grad Cafe.

Also, to echo what's already been said before on this issue: I don't think Kansas would think you ungrateful for bowing out gracefully with a polite and courteous email. I'm sure they know that you're a top candidate who's likely to have other offers. And if you feel awkward about turning them down earlier rather than later, you can say something like you wanted to release your spot so that they can offer it to someone else who is waiting anxiously to hear. If anything, they'll appreciate your being considerate about others. Congrats on your other offer, and good luck with the remaining ones!

Thanks Fall-11 :) I'm just concerned about looking ungrateful or arrogant. I really, really do appreciate the offer, and combining the advice of you all with the reality of someone who just might get the funding I'm declining gives me the gumption to get this done. I hope everyone has a good weekend!

You're really kind to say this. I thought about making a general comment in an earlier thread but thought it might seem too self serving--although our areas of interested only minimally overlap, so I doubt that your decision will impact me directly. Last year, I got waitlisted for funding, and the person ahead of me in line took until 4:30 on April 15th to make up their mind to come. That was pretty hard.

This is okay. I new that given the odds at least five schools were likely to reject me. May be having it happen all on the same day is actually better in the long run.

Gosh! That's so long to make a decision! I understand the need to weigh options but that seems a bit much. Anyway, I really do hope some funding comes your way soon. Those multiple rejections in one day can be good in the way you point out; at least it stops the worrying and hoping. I got 3 on Monday and it was nice, once the immediate reaction wore off, to just have it done. Good luck!

No, wait. Make that five.

F-I-V-E

Mother of F*&k.

I'm a second-round applicant and last year I decided that I was going to do a shot for every rejection I got. Then I got five in one day and decided that my liver couldn't take it.

I'm just praying this year isn't exactly the same....

No, wait. Make that five.

F-I-V-E

Mother of F*&k.

Osodulce, that sucks. I'm really upset for you. I got two rejections within a week of each other (one of which came on Valentine's day-- c'mon, really?), and I thought that sucked, but this is awful. These schools really need to communicate with one another so that no one gets such a downpour of misery. Hang in there!

This thread is definitely cathartic. I feel a lot better after reading some of these suggestions. I think I might get more acquainted with Messrs Daniels, Adams and Cuervo - I hear they're good company. wink.gif

Don't forget Mr. Jim Beam. And Captain Morgan.

There's this fancy ginger ale I love, called "Maine Root." I don't know if they sell it outside of the northeast, but it would be amazing with almost any kind of alcohol. Reed's ginger brew is also really good. Mmmmm fancy ginger ale and vodka....

There's this fancy ginger ale I love, called "Maine Root." I don't know if they sell it outside of the northeast, but it would be amazing with almost any kind of alcohol. Reed's ginger brew is also really good. Mmmmm fancy ginger ale and vodka....

Dark & Stormy --- Reed's extra ginger brew, The Kraken rum, and lime juice. :)

Hey, we literature folk are known for our drinking! There was a recent Chronicle piece, I think, about the AWP Conference cleaning out the hotel bar.

Sort of lame that I got the idea from a Disarrono commercial, but ginger ale and amaretto is pretty tasty as well.

Sort of lame that I got the idea from a Disarrono commercial, but ginger ale and amaretto is pretty tasty as well.

This is fast turning into "Keep a Drink, Drop a Drink" (only in the literature forum...), but amaretto and pineapple is peculiarly delicious also. Discovered by accident on account of one hard-of-hearing barkeep.

edited because i wrote it like i'd been dropping drinks all day.

Edited by harpyemma

This is fast turning into "Keep ad Drink, Dop a Drink" (only in the literature forum...), but amaretto and pineapple is peculiarly delicious also. Discovered by accident on account of one hard-of-hearing barkeep.

Amaretto and Lemonade (as recommended by my 11th grade religion teacher).

Edited by againstourfaces

Keeping literary, there's a Gertrude Stein cocktail...but it's fucking weak. Has like *no* booze in. Considering Pimm's is only 25% ABV/50 proof, mixed in equal volume with the syrups (not even taking into account the splash of soda), that's about as alcoholic as a standard cheap red wine--you've have to have like ten of 'em to get anywhere. I think i'd probably slug some gin in there.

2 ounces Pimm's

1 ounce chamomile syrup (combine equal parts strong chamomile tea and sugar on a stovetop and cook over moderate heat until the sugar completely dissolves.)

1 ounce lime mix (combine equal parts lime juice with sugar syrup and stir to dissolve)

splash of lemon-lime soda

2 lemon wedges

Method

Fill Collins glass with ice and add Pimm's and chamomile syrup. Squeeze lemon wedges into glass, add lime mix and top with more ice. Add a splash of lemon-lime soda and stir. Garnish with a cucumber stir stick.

Pimm's is tasty on coffee ice cream, though I doubt that has much to do with the crazy Buttons lady.

Actually, I worked in an ice cream cafe where we served a "rum raisin" delicacy that tasted a bit . . .awkward, but did the trick--especially if the partaker ended up neck-deep in a vat of it after close . . .