What are you doing before classes start?

Sevi

I was wondering what everyone was planning on doing before they start graduate school. With final decisions being made in March/April and classes not starting until late summer/early fall, that leaves some time in between. I keep hearing from current grad students and PIs that you should really take advantage of this time (since it'll probably be the last vacation you'll have in LONG time!).

So what are you ideas?

Since I've lived in Texas my whole life and will be doing a PhD here also, I'm hoping to live somewhere else for two months without school or work every day! At least I'll be able to escape the dreaded Texas summer heat!

I haven't decided yet.

If I get really good funding I'll probably just work the same part time job I've had since high school (because it's really flexible) and run around doing whatever hits my fancy. Or stay in my college town and run around doing whatever hits my fancy with my best friend.

Probably some traveling and vacationing and such. Work on getting a tan. I haven't had one since high school since I'm always inside doing research or school work or work work.

Otherwise I'll have to defer a year and work to save up money to pay for grad school, in which case I won't be running around doing whatever hits my fancy. I'll probably become a lab rat and do PCR all year long. :/

I hope I get good funding.

I'm about to finish training and will be working as a flight attendant until classes start!! I'm super excited, especially since it's a very international airline and I'll get to visit lots of places I haven't seen (and some I already have!), so it's a very good use of my time until then :) Now that I have acceptances, too, I don't have to stress about "what if I get stuck in this job foreeeeeeever?!" and can just enjoy it :)

Assuming I get in somewhere, I will be slacking off, spending the money I will have saved just for summer, and being incredibly lazy. I am thinking of buying a rail pass and traveling California by train for a week or so. I also may take a summer course or two, an art class or auto shop. It would be nice to study something fun and not psychology related!

Anyone thinking about buying a home? In my city, rent is marginally less than mortgage. With six years ahead, we are thinking about buying a place. Even if we lose a bit of money down the road when we sell, it would still be less financial loss than paying rent for all six years... Thoughts?

I've thought a lot about this. For the first year, at least, i think I am going to rent. Homeownership takes a lot of work and I want to get my feet wet in grad school before making such a commitment (and also make sure that I AM going to be there for six years). I can potentially see a condo in my future (easier to maintain).

I still have undergraduate work to do until May. After that, I'm going to work part time, look for apartments, and hopefully take some trips. I really want to spend some time at my uncle's condo in the White Mountains this summer, too. We usually go for 2 or 3 days at a time, but I'm thinking that I'd like to spend a solid week or two up there this summer between the time when my job ends and school starts. Assuming I get in somewhere, of course ...

I've thought a lot about this. For the first year, at least, i think I am going to rent. Homeownership takes a lot of work and I want to get my feet wet in grad school before making such a commitment (and also make sure that I AM going to be there for six years). I can potentially see a condo in my future (easier to maintain).

My husband and I are in a similar boat. We will wait, at the very least, until the end of the first semester, to buy. How else will we know where we want to live, and if we're getting a good price? I think I'd rather wait a year too, though, to make sure I can focus on the written comps that usually come during the first summer in my field.

I'm about to finish training and will be working as a flight attendant until classes start!! I'm super excited, especially since it's a very international airline and I'll get to visit lots of places I haven't seen (and some I already have!), so it's a very good use of my time until then :) Now that I have acceptances, too, I don't have to stress about "what if I get stuck in this job foreeeeeeever?!" and can just enjoy it :)

That's such a fantastic and great idea!!! I'm sure you'll have tons of fun and LOADS of memories from it!!

Anyone thinking about buying a home? In my city, rent is marginally less than mortgage. With six years ahead, we are thinking about buying a place. Even if we lose a bit of money down the road when we sell, it would still be less financial loss than paying rent for all six years... Thoughts?

I've thought about this a lot. My half-brother is really into buying property so he's encouraging me and would be there for advice. It makes sense to buy a place rather than waste money on rent for 5-7 years. And it especially makes sense if you are married or in a committed relationship. That's the only thing really keeping me from going for it. Not in a relationship. So my plan now is to rent for a year to make sure I really will be there for 5-7 years and make sure I like the area, then look for a place to buy. And maybe by then I'll be in a committed serious relationship ;) Haha. I can dream. :P

After I graduate in June, I am going to continue working part time at my job on campus, since former students are allowed to work one quarter after they graduate. Sometime in the end of June/beginning of July, my family is going on a cruise to celebrate my brother's high school graduation and my college graduation.

Otherwise, hopefully I will get some time to relax, study languages at my leisure, and maybe enjoy life a little :)

From a financial aid point of view, this is a good idea, especially if you're married and your spouse is not a student. Federal aid definitely hits married couples the hardest when only one of the couple is a student, and purchasing a house allows you to move more of your money into a mortgage, and therefore out of the government's equation for determining your expected financial contribution.

Do, however, remember to factor in the headaches and unforseen expenses of buying a house- as well as the really slow sellers market (although that may pick up in 6 years).

I wanted to buy a house when I moved, but I decided to hold off until I knew the area well- and now I'm really glad I didn't. When you're putting in 70 hour weeks at school, the last thing you want to have to do is come home and work on the plumbing. Being able to just call the landlord is really nice in these situations.

I'm trying to line up a summer position working for a company that has roots in the school I'm currently at. I'll probably take a couple of weeks of vacation but until then I'll be working my butt off trying to save up some money for my move and such.

My boyfriend and I are planning on riding our bicycles across the United States before I start grad school (Western Express/TransAmerica route from SF to VA then to NY). If I don't get in anywhere we'll do it anyway... and I'll just be bitter. That'll be in June/July and I'm super excited!

Oh yeah, and before that I'll also quit my job as a restaurant hostess. YES

Edited by mostlytoasty

My boyfriend and I are planning on riding our bicycles across the United States before I start grad school (Western Express/TransAmerica route from SF to VA then to NY). If I don't get in anywhere we'll do it anyway... and I'll just be bitter. That'll be in June/July and I'm super excited!

Oh yeah, and before that I'll also quit my job as a restaurant hostess. YES

Cool!!!

If we don't move, (two schools would require a move, two wouldn't), I'll plant a garden. Hoping to get in some good camping, this summer, too. And our annual pilgrimage to Maine. So love Maine.

Provided I get in, I'll be editing my thesis for journal publication, editing a paper I wrote last year for a journal pub, and working retail. Come August, I'll move.

If I don't get in, I'll still rework the thesis, work retail, and move. I'll just be adding "job-hunting" to the list.