UT Austin

Hey!

Condolences to the people posting rejections, but I've still heard nothing and I'm wondering a couple of things. How many of you have similarly still not heard anything? And what are the suppositions at this point as to what this means? Pending rejection, potential acceptance, at best waitlist? I had just decided to count myself rejected when those acceptances were first posted, and now I must admit that damn hope is starting to smolder in the ashes. . . I'd just really like to know what's going on!

Hi lyoness. I'm in the same boat as you. This is my guess: on Monday or even Sunday they will finish sending out the rest of the rejections/acceptances waitlists. Since we haven't been contacted yet and others have been accepted I'm assuming that we are at least not among the tip-top best applicants. We might be on the list for a personalized rejection email, we might be on the fringe of acceptance and they are waiting for some reason (maybe funding info or last weekend decisions), or we might be waitlisters. Beyond that there's no real way to know except waiting till Monday.

Hey WordFiller. That about matches my personal hypotheses as well. I guess we'll wait until Monday and see what's up. At least the grad sec. said we could contact her March 1 if we don't know yet so we can all pounce Tuesday if we don't hear by Monday! Good luck to you!

Hey WordFiller. That about matches my personal hypotheses as well. I guess we'll wait until Monday and see what's up. At least the grad sec. said we could contact her March 1 if we don't know yet so we can all pounce Tuesday if we don't hear by Monday! Good luck to you!

I got a rejection tonight. It's strange that no one else did; why didn't I get mine yesterday? Anyway, good luck to those still waiting.

I still don't understand why we haven't seen more acceptances. There are only four and they're fellowship recipients. Do you think that they've finished with their offers, it's just that those acceptances don't use grad cafe? Or that there's another round of offers to be made? The email about contacting by March 1st if you havent seen word makes me think that, if you haven't been contacted by March 1st, you're rejected. Because if you were accepted, they wouldn't forget to tell you....

I still don't understand why we haven't seen more acceptances. There are only four and they're fellowship recipients. Do you think that they've finished with their offers, it's just that those acceptances don't use grad cafe? Or that there's another round of offers to be made? The email about contacting by March 1st if you havent seen word makes me think that, if you haven't been contacted by March 1st, you're rejected. Because if you were accepted, they wouldn't forget to tell you....

I was accepted, but not with a fellowship. I don't think the other posters on the results page mentioned fellowships either, did they? I'm pretty sure all of UT's first-round decisions have gone out, but some schools just keep their 2nd/3rd/etc. tiers of applicants waiting for a while without telling them anything. Nobody's posted a waitlist notification, after all!

I guess we all know where we stand at this point. Condolences to all the rejections.

How many have posted that they've been waitlisted? It seems like they are basing it around specialties to have a more rounded department, which makes sense.

It might be a good idea to get a feel for the specialties in the wait-list. I'm a medievalist.

anyone else on the waitlist care to post their specialties?

I guess we all know where we stand at this point. Condolences to all the rejections.

How many have posted that they've been waitlisted? It seems like they are basing it around specialties to have a more rounded department, which makes sense.

It might be a good idea to get a feel for the specialties in the wait-list. I'm a medievalist.

anyone else on the waitlist care to post their specialties?

Congrats on the waitlist!

I just got my waitlist email as well. I'm a postcolonialist.

Wait-listed! So bittersweet.

If you're declining your offer or going off the wait-list to accept a preferred offer, please let the department know as quickly as you can. This is my top top top choice, favorite school, and I want to stay in Austin this fall so badly!

Very strange to feel so much pride at being "unanimously voted for admission" at such a great school, as well as so much frustration at having to wait on a real answer for another month! I feel lucky, though, and this gives me so much more hope about all of my other applications. Whew.

Also waitlisted. I'm an early modernist. I'm hoping that it doesn't take until right at the April 15 deadline for notification about the liklihood of getting in off the waitlist, but with the late visit date, it seems pretty likely it will take awhile. Obviously would have preferred a direct admit, but I would agree, tortola, the unanimous recommendation for acceptance bit felt nice :)

Soooooooo, don't mean to sound pushy or anything like that, but I was just wondering if there are any early modernists who were accepted to UTA who are considering turning down that offer for another. I realize that until post visit weekend, most people won't know, but I'd love, love, love to go here and would be interested in hearing if there is anybody with at least a potential alternate decision he/she would prefer. Thanks!

Yeah, don't know. I'm hoping that there's like one per subfield on the waitlist so that if one on the first-round accepted list says no, there's room for the waitlisted in the field, but somehow, I think that's wishful thinking. I emailed Dr. Lesser asking for specifics after I got his waitlist email, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet :( I'll let you all know if I have any info.

Yeah, don't know. I'm hoping that there's like one per subfield on the waitlist so that if one on the first-round accepted list says no, there's room for the waitlisted in the field, but somehow, I think that's wishful thinking. I emailed Dr. Lesser asking for specifics after I got his waitlist email, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet :( I'll let you all know if I have any info.

I'm also an early modernist waitlisted at UT, so that right there means that there are likely multiple students waitlisted in all subfields. That said, lyonessrampant, you should know that the odds of me ending up at UT, even if I'm eventually accepted off the waitlist, are about 1%. (based on family considerations, NOT the quality of the program.)

So I emailed back with some questions regarding the waitlist on Monday. I have heard nothing back. Has anyone else on the waitlist received any followup communication?

I emailed on Monday to say that I'll be remaining on the wait-list for as long as I can. I haven't heard back, but my email didn't really require follow-up. They must be insanely busy right now, though!