UT Austin

I am not afraid to own up to my own insanity. I'd get off this website if I could; I do actually have another life.

Hehe, I love how insane everyone starts sounding. Please understand I am NOT making fun of anyone, because we ALL sound crazy, but there is a little perverse humor in our suffering.

Supposed to be reading Chinese drama under the Mongols and writing about how a sexual allegory is softened by the creation of a spiritual realm and the use of birds/inanimate objects as metaphors for body parts. Also, getting absolutely nothing done.

I am at work right now.

Obviously getting nothing done. Sigh.

It's not by month -- I'm January!

My belief is that it's by the proximity of your folder to the person in charge of sending the e-mail or pushing the button. So yeah, probably random.

I don't think an adcomm is going to take the time to put applicant files back in alphabetical order after they make their decisions.

I applied here too and got pretty disheartened when I saw the first few acceptances without getting anything in my e-mail. But my status on the application check hasn't changed yet and I haven't gotten a rejection outright. I guess I'll have to keep hoping I might be on the waiting list.

Don't know if it helps anything, but since I haven't seen this page posted yet, these are the numbers from some of the previous years: http://www.utexas.edu/ogs/prospective/stats/

Whoa, how did you find that?! I thought I had looked everywhere.

Those charts do make me feel somewhat better; they admitted 18% of applicants last year! Also my stats are a bit better than the average, which makes me feel a little more cheerful whether I'm admitted or not. :)

I suppose they'll finish sending out admits on the 28th? Maybe sooner.

I have a feeling things have changed a little bit. Someone said in an earlier post that only 1/20 had been recommended for admission. I wish it were as it was in 2009, though.

Whoa, how did you find that?! I thought I had looked everywhere.

Those charts do make me feel somewhat better; they admitted 18% of applicants last year! Also my stats are a bit better than the average, which makes me feel a little more cheerful whether I'm admitted or not. :)

I suppose they'll finish sending out admits on the 28th? Maybe sooner.

I have a feeling things have changed a little bit. Someone said in an earlier post that only 1/20 had been recommended for admission. I wish it were as it was in 2009, though.

You never know how their funding looks this year, though! We'll just have to wait and see.

Good luck!

Mine are all higher too, but I don't think that UTA puts a ton of stock by objective data. However, as you all mentioned, either way feels nice to be above the average, no?

For me it's comforting to know that if I did get rejected, it probably wasn't my scores that did it. Which is good since some of those measures (like GPA) really can't be changed at this point.

Okay: What I don't understand is why they don't just do a mass emailing all at once. Every acceptee gets the same email, every rejectee gets the same email, this is a massive college with a fancy electronic mailing system--just send them out on a timer or something!

I will never quite get it. Although if all of this waiting means that they're still making decisions, that's cool. Haha.

I am completely confused at this point. I hand in the towel and give up the art of deciphering signs.

Okay: What I don't understand is why they don't just do a mass emailing all at once. Every acceptee gets the same email, every rejectee gets the same email, this is a massive college with a fancy electronic mailing system--just send them out on a timer or something!

I will never quite get it. Although if all of this waiting means that they're still making decisions, that's cool. Haha.

Yesterday I got an email from the DGS saying that I had been rejected, and then today I got a form email saying that I should check the site, which also said I had been rejected. I don't really know why the had to tell me twice...I was actually hoping there was some mistake! If they're updating some people's accounts online, then the rest should follow... better luck to the rest of you! :)

I go to UT for my undergrad. Should I just go in to ask the Program Coordinator at this point? What do you guys think?

Yesterday I got an email from the DGS saying that I had been rejected, and then today I got a form email saying that I should check the site, which also said I had been rejected. I don't really know why the had to tell me twice...I was actually hoping there was some mistake! If they're updating some people's accounts online, then the rest should follow... better luck to the rest of you! :)