UT Austin

Hey guys, I'm one of the admits (just posted a few minutes ago). I heard via email which appears (?) to be a form email, though it's quite long. Invited to orientation weekend at the end of March. Also, I haven't looked at the board but saw a comment from someone here re: 27k/year? The total value of the package is listed as approximately 27k (including the tuition waiver/health insurance), but the stipend itself is a little over 14k. Of course, it's always possible that someone got a giant fellowship, but since the email itself mentions 27k as the value, my guess is that whoever posted listed that number instead of the stipend amount. I wish I had some information for you guys on whether or not they're still notifying, etc. Good luck to you all!!

Hey guys, I'm one of the admits (just posted a few minutes ago). I heard via email which appears (?) to be a form email, though it's quite long. Invited to orientation weekend at the end of March. Also, I haven't looked at the board but saw a comment from someone here re: 27k/year? The total value of the package is listed as approximately 27k (including the tuition waiver/health insurance), but the stipend itself is a little over 14k. Of course, it's always possible that someone got a giant fellowship, but since the email itself mentions 27k as the value, my guess is that whoever posted listed that number instead of the stipend amount. I wish I had some information for you guys on whether or not they're still notifying, etc. Good luck to you all!!

Congrats, Bee!

I saw that in the past, acceptances haven't all gone out on the same day. I certainly am not holding my breath, but we still have a chance until we get that big fat REJECTED!!!

Congratulations!

Congrats, Bee!

Can I ask: Do you have a BA or an MA, and what kind of school did you come from?

My BA is from a really small lib arts college, and that worries me.

Thanks for all of the congratulations, everyone! I should also have mentioned, to the extent it's relevant, that I applied to the rhetoric concentration. Tortola, I don't have an MA, but I do have a JD. My BA is from an Ivy, but my GPA was not setting any records. My JD was from a decent law school where I had a high GPA. As you can probably guess, I might not be the best person to use as a benchmark because my application is unconventional in a few different ways.

Thanks for sharing that info, BeeRuckus, and congrats again on the admit! I think the rhetoric program is different than the English Ph.D., so that might mean that the large pool of regular English Ph.D. admits haven't been contacted yet? I may be reaching for straws, but I think I'll keep hope alive for another day or so. God! I can't WAIT until all this is over. Ugh.

Thanks for sharing that info, BeeRuckus, and congrats again on the admit! I think the rhetoric program is different than the English Ph.D., so that might mean that the large pool of regular English Ph.D. admits haven't been contacted yet? I may be reaching for straws, but I think I'll keep hope alive for another day or so. God! I can't WAIT until all this is over. Ugh.

Oh man...I applied to the rhet/comp PhD program. Do you think it's bad news that my inbox is empty?

Do you guys think there is any chance of getting an e-mail now that it is after 5:00? I should probably mention that I go to UT Austin as an undergrad and have spoken to the Graduate Coordinator several times. She told me last week that decisions would probably be on her desk on either Feb. 16 or Feb. 28. So, I am confused why these decisions came out today. I just e-mailed her to ask about this.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. My suspicions have been aroused many times, especially since I know several professors in the English department (being an English major here, of course). I actually "accused" one of my past professors the other day of being one of my readers. It was pretty ridiculous, and I am embarrassed now. Thankfully, he is a nice guy and understands my anxiety well.

Whew, let us know what she says. I live in Austin, too, and there's something really nerve-wracking about all of the decisions happening right down the street from my apartment.

Edited by cicada123

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. My suspicions have been aroused many times, especially since I know several professors in the English department (being an English major here, of course). I actually "accused" one of my past professors the other day of being one of my readers. It was pretty ridiculous, and I am embarrassed now. Thankfully, he is a nice guy and understands my anxiety well.

Ha, nice! I'm glad he was good-humored about it.

I hope there are more admits coming out, maybe on the 28th . . .

I'm trying to remain calm, but please post it if you get any information!

Didn't they send every admit out in a couple of days last year?

Also, AugustQuail: Did you get into BU?

In January I remember getting mass e-mail from the graduate assistant informing us that if we hadn't heard by March 1 we should e-mail her. So I'm going to give it a week....

I'm trying to remain calm, but please post it if you get any information!

Didn't they send every admit out in a couple of days last year?

Also, AugustQuail: Did you get into BU?

I haven't heard anything from BU, unfortunately. No acceptance, and no rejection. I don't really know what to think!

Maybe this will help a little bit as far as UT goes--

I'm one of those who were admitted. I received an email from Dr Wayne Lesser, the Graduate Advisor, notifying me of my acceptance, and then I also got an email from the UT Office of Admissions today directing me to the Application Status Check page (https://utdirect.ute...tatus_check.WBX). (It was, indeed, updated. I checked just to make triple sure I was actually in!)

The email (which sounds exactly like the email BeeRuckus mentioned receiving--must be a form email) asks for a reply by the end of this week (Feb 25) about whether or not I will be able to make it to the visiting weekend at the end of March. Seems to me like that deadline might indicate something... I think it's safe to assume all the acceptances went out at once, since we're being asked to reply with such little turnaround. Email also mentioned that "fewer than one in twenty applicants" were recommended for admission, in case that helps anybody with the numbers game.

Best of luck to everyone still waiting!

Edited by the giaour