Waiting it Out on Canadian Universities

NoMoreABD

There is still hope! I swear!

I have just got an offer from McMaster!!! It was my #1 option!!!

And I have just been contacted by 2 more universities asking me if I was still interested.

I know how hard is the waiting , but, come on! Dont give up!!! There are still chances!!!

Good Luck To Everybody!!!

And I have just been contacted by 2 more universities asking me if I was still interested.

I know how hard is the waiting , but, come on! Dont give up!!! There are still chances!!!

Congratulations!! :)

Congrats!

Does anyone know anything about the Hispanic Studies MA program at UVic? They have a current list of MA students on their website, and there are only 5. I can't decide if that means the program is really selective or if they just don't have a lot of students interested in the program. I am working on wrapping up my undergrad in the States, but reading all of this has made me really anxious! I really want to do my graduate work in Canada, but I am already losing hoping and I haven't even applied yet.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone heard anything about admission into PhD program at McMaster ECE Dept.? Since the spring term commences on Jan 5th, I am worried that I don't have enough time to complete visa process if I am accepted.

FYI: If you are American, you can (and should) just apply for your study permit on your way into the country. (If you are not, disregard.)

To the person who replied my previous post thanks for your information, but I am not a US Citizen.

Could anyone tell me when Canadian universities usually announce the admission results for winter term. I couldn't find any post about the admission into Canadian Universities (especially for ECE/CS Departments) for winter term.

• 2 weeks later...

To the person who replied my previous post thanks for your information, but I am not a US Citizen.

Could anyone tell me when Canadian universities usually announce the admission results for winter term. I couldn't find any post about the admission into Canadian Universities (especially for ECE/CS Departments) for winter term.

February or March.

As I know winter semester usually commences in Jan. Then it should be no later than the first two weeks of the Dec. Anyway, i don't care when they will give out the results even though my application status is still same. Thanks!

Edited by baer

How much above the minimum GPA requirement do you think it's safe to say it's competitive? I know it's different for every program and it all depends on the candidate pool that year...but still, I've been restless :P

Applying for Masters of Science in Planning at UBC and a little bit scared since I haven't taken that many 3rd and 4th year level courses until this current semester but had to send in transcripts for the Dec 1st deadline. Going to send in a supplementary transcript though. For UBC, do they look at your last 2 years or is it, as they say, your 3rd and 4th year level courses?

I hate some of the GPA requirements.. like at U of T. Screw that school in general.

I applied to UWO and UBC among a couple others. Those are the two I mainly want to get into. This is for September 2012 though (May 2012 for one of the UWO ones). No idea when I'll find out from them, but the applications are due early January, so I'm hoping to hear by March or April?

I will take my application package to York University on Friday. I'm applying for PhD in Communication and Culture for the Fall 2012 term

Anybody else out there applying to the same program/same school?

Any ideas on when the results will be posted? I know it is in the Spring, but it would be nice to know an approximate month at least

• 2 weeks later...

I will take my application package to York University on Friday. I'm applying for PhD in Communication and Culture for the Fall 2012 term

Anybody else out there applying to the same program/same school?

Any ideas on when the results will be posted? I know it is in the Spring, but it would be nice to know an approximate month at least

Hey there fellow prospective Yorkie!

I'm applying to two York PhD programs (Sociology and Socio-Legal Studies) for Fall 2012. My deadlines aren't until mid-January, so I'm still putting it all together. LORs and transcripts are in, but I'm still messing with the online submission stuff.

I did my MA at York, and can tell you that my timeline for that MA app was prompt! I think that my app deadline for that session was the first or second week of February and I got a phone call in the beginning of March with an offer (online verification was later that day, application package was received in the mail a week after). The timing probably varies - it might be pretty department/program-specific and the experience might be different if it was a waitlist/rejection decision (and even when the process is fast, it's never fast enough!)

Congrats on getting yours in! Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions re: York. My experience was limited to my MA and my department, but my time there was very positive! I've applied elsewhere, but York is my first choice!

Best of luck to you AlyaLeka!

Hey there fellow prospective Yorkie!

the experience might be different if it was a waitlist/rejection decision

Hey all, another prospective Yorkie here.

I am re-applying to FES PhD program. Last year I was waitlisted. It took FOREVER to find out, really. But I guess my experience wasn't very common. At a very late stage - sometime during May - after I emailed them and asked a couple of times, they actually told me that I was on the first place in the waitlist, and that they were trying to find extra funding to allow 2 international students to get in instead of one, so they could accept me. Of course, eventually they didn't "find" any more money and I got rejected...

However, it did give me some hope, knowing that I made it that high on their list. So this year I am re-applying, but, being aware they only have one spot in the program for an international student, I am also applying to other places (even though they're still my first choice).

Anyway, this year the process was a bit stressed. I had to wait to the last minute for my updated transcripts.

I UPSed my package, it arrived very fast, but they won't receive it because of the holiday. :-( Their website clearly says they'll be accepting applications during the holiday, but I guess it doesn't include actual packages... Hopefully UPS will re-deliver it on Wednesday, and it'll be (2 days) within the deadline.

Good luck to all prospective Yorkies out there

Congrats on getting yours in! Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions re: York. My experience was limited to my MA and my department, but my time there was very positive! I've applied elsewhere, but York is my first choice!

Best of luck to you AlyaLeka!

Thank you so much for your response! I will keep you posted if I hear anything. Please do the same!

I got my application in so early, because my Bachelor's was from abroad. The department did not clearly say that I should go by the international student deadline, but they advised that I did. :) They were worried that processing a foreign transcript might take longer.

Last year I was waitlisted. It took FOREVER to find out, really. But I guess my experience wasn't very common. At a very late stage - sometime during May - after I emailed them and asked a couple of times, they actually told me that I was on the first place in the waitlist, and that they were trying to find extra funding to allow 2 international students to get in instead of one, so they could accept me.

Good luck this year!!! Nice to see another prospective "Yorkie" :)

And I know first hand how hard it is to be an international student. I did my Master's as an international student in the States, but can now apply as a local.

Hang in there. It might be harder to get in in Canada, but lots of US universities give you diversity credit. :)