Waiting it Out on Canadian Universities

NoMoreABD

umm I am not really sure what constitutes as "good." my only offer of funding has been just over 16 000 for a one year poli sci ma. my thoughts that were covering tuition was considered good, and anything above that (especially for an ma program) was considered very good.

@everygirl haha yeah it worked out that way. good luck to everyone! this process is mentally exhausting

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but I was wondering what range qualifies as bad, good, or great funding. One school offered me 9,500 for a one-year history MA and I'm thinking this is horrible funding. Is it? Or is it considered okay funding? Just curious what the standards are. Thanks.

been reading this forum for awhile now. just thought id contribute and add to the hysteria.

much like all you, ive been painfully waiting for an acceptance/rejection from UofT, Mcgill, and SFU.

still haven't heard a peep and it seems like my chances become slimmer each day. totally frustrating as you watch people be both accepted AND rejected on the admission results page.

sorry i can't add anything new!

you still need to be optimistic ! not even an hour after i posted "guess no UWO for me" i received my UWO acceptance with great funding... this morning i had written off this entire process....

If you're accepting at Western, I'll see you there!

A Question about deadlines for acceptances:

I was accepted to graduate programs at 2 Canadian universities rolleyes.gif, but none of them told me of a deadline to accept. Could that be right or am I missing something?

Thanks.

You should ask the programs directly, because I'm sure there is a deadline of some kind. There's a whole bunch of administrative processing involved, I'm pretty sure they're not allowing you to just accept whenever you want and show up in September.

Soooo..... it's April 5th and I've heard from one of two schools I've applied to for an MA in Communication. Carleton rejected me.

Heard nothing from Ottawa U but I saw someone posted on the results board they received acceptance last week. The individual indicated they were an American student (I'm Canadian)... Any thoughts on whether an international student would hear back earlier (due to funding possibly)?

I called a few weeks ago and was told they will be sending out emails at the end of April. But since the aforementioned individual heard back already I have a feeling the first round of acceptances went out. Possibly rejected or waitlisted :( I thought I had a slightly better chance at Ottawa U since I did my undergrad there and my recommendations are both from professors who currently teach at the graduate-level there.

Oh well.

Just venting. I can't stand waiting. I wish they would just let me know already! I gotta get moving on my Plan B but don't want to waste money applying to a college program in case I get into grad school.

This process is soo much more stressful than I had anticipated. At least I will be better prepared for the emotional rollercoaster should I choose to go through this process next year!

Edited by girlsetsfire101

I called a few weeks ago and was told they will be sending out emails at the end of April.

That is crazy. This process totally eludes me. A lot of programs had early deadlines for their offers- whose going to wait around to see if they'd been waitlisted! What happens if their A lists decline and by the time they get to B or C, those people have already taken other offers... bah.

girlsetsfire101--I am also waiting on Ottawa U. Like yourself, when I saw someone reporting a response on their MA application to Communication in Ottawa U, I called and emailed the school asap to ask if decisions were made. In both cases, the school answered with the geenric "results will be emailed by the end of April.' I find it interesting that they'd respond this late, given that my application was complete in December. Furthermore, the automated response once you hand in the application says "We will review your application over the next few weeks."

Anyways, I don't see any reason for concern. After all, only a SINGLE unverifiable individual posted a result on this website :)

Good luck!

Soooo..... it's April 5th and I've heard from one of two schools I've applied to for an MA in Communication. Carleton rejected me.

Heard nothing from Ottawa U but I saw someone posted on the results board they received acceptance last week. The individual indicated they were an American student (I'm Canadian)... Any thoughts on whether an international student would hear back earlier (due to funding possibly)?

I called a few weeks ago and was told they will be sending out emails at the end of April. But since the aforementioned individual heard back already I have a feeling the first round of acceptances went out. Possibly rejected or waitlisted :( I thought I had a slightly better chance at Ottawa U since I did my undergrad there and my recommendations are both from professors who currently teach at the graduate-level there.

Oh well.

Just venting. I can't stand waiting. I wish they would just let me know already! I gotta get moving on my Plan B but don't want to waste money applying to a college program in case I get into grad school.

This process is soo much more stressful than I had anticipated. At least I will be better prepared for the emotional rollercoaster should I choose to go through this process next year!

Hello,

Does anyone know when U of T typically sends out acceptance/rejection notices? I got an offer of admission to York and I'm on the fence as to where I'd like to go.. I'd be happy going to either. But I'd like the chance to look over the options of each before I make my final decision. However, York has given me an April 15th deadline to accept.. so like, what do I do if U of T doesn't accept/decline me by then?? Is it bad to accept an offer then retract it?? I don't know what to do...

:S aah!.

Yikes. My MA application disappeared from Ottawa U Info Web. What could that mean?

Maybe they're in the process of updating! I'd email to make sure though.

Anyway, I agree with your post about Ottawa U and the mysterious acceptance on the board. I applied to the same program, and every communication with me has been that they would notify mid to late April. I don't believe that someone out there is screwing with vulnerable grad school applicants by actually posting fake results, so I assume that person is 'extreme first round' -- otherwise known the stellar, incredible applicants who hear of acceptance almost as soon as their applications are opened. I bet this person also had an incredible funding package too. As for the rest of us, I still believe that not having heard is not a bad sign. They're just late!

(They lost my transcripts last month and I had to resend, so annoying. They verified my application was complete months ago.)

Yikes. My MA application disappeared from Ottawa U Info Web. What could that mean?

Glad to hear I am not the only one who hasn't heard back! Only because it reassures me, not because you are all being tortured as I am :)It could be because they are updating? Mine still says "We will review your application over the next few weeks" blah blah. Having dealt with Infoweb throughout undergrad I found it's not the most reliable site-it goes down for maintenance at least once a month. In a past experience where I had applied for a second undergrad (which I didn't end up doing), Infoweb updated with the acceptance DAYS before I got an email. Which is why I've been checking mine compulsively as of late!

I wonder if everyone will find out in April? I have a few friends who are currently in the program so I will ask them how long until they waited. A friend of mine got a rejection letter from another school in AUGUST last year. I would die!

No news is better than bad news, I guess. Like you said, maybe that one mystery accept was simply a stellar individual with perfect grades and lots of experience!

I am so glad I found this forum. I think my boyfriend would've killed me if he had to hear me complain about this process one more time.

Good luck to everyone! Please keep me posted and I will do the same!

Hold on -- this is for the acceptance for MA in Communication for Ottawa on the results board? Where does it say that the person is American?

Hi,

Im now oficially in your club!!!

No news about any university to which I have applied, UW, Queens, McMaster, neither Ottawa if you are wondering.

This is waiting is INSANE!!!

I dont want to wait anynmore!!!

And yes, I asked to Ottawa and they told me that

You should have a result within the next couple of weeks.

And the rest of universities my status is No decision has yet been taken, or Under review

so this is twisted, but it is what this process has turned me into. SO finally got an accept, but now i am starting to think it is a mistake. the email said it would show up on my online student account, but nothing there so far... and i have read the horror stories posted on this board. sorry i just needed to vent my irrationality (my friends and family can't take it anymore...). i think i have PTSD from my other rejections...

so this is twisted, but it is what this process has turned me into. SO finally got an accept, but now i am starting to think it is a mistake. the email said it would show up on my online student account, but nothing there so far... and i have read the horror stories posted on this board. sorry i just needed to vent my irrationality (my friends and family can't take it anymore...). i think i have PTSD from my other rejections...

CONGRATS!!! I would say not to worry- website updating probably takes time to go through etc etc. CELEBRATE! Me... yup still waiting. tick tock tick tock

haha thanks....after waiting this long it is hard to accept LOL i wrote back accepting the offer, so hopefully solidified by end of day!

good luck!! i hope you don't have to wait too much longer for good news !!

CONGRATS!!! I would say not to worry- website updating probably takes time to go through etc etc. CELEBRATE! Me... yup still waiting. tick tock tick tock

I just got a declination from Carleton's PhD in Communications. Didn't expect it to hurt this much :( One would expect to be strong after so many life experiences, ups and downs, etc...but I guess sad news are what they are!

Well...I think first they review the PhD applications and then comes Masters. Because first round of letters for PhD's are already out for most of the schools, and they are waiting for the acceptance and rejections of offers by the applicants to sort out the second round of letters. I'm doomed I guess.... :angry:. Never had luck with the waitlist theory... :(

My best wishes to all of you out there..... :) !!

@serenewinds

Yeah you're absolutely right. I never thought I would care much about my Queens application. But when the rejection came I was sooo down that it took me at least a couple of days to recover. Just hang in tight. We all will get something positive..... :)

@serenewinds

Yeah you're absolutely right. I never thought I would care much about my Queens application. But when the rejection came I was sooo down that it took me at least a couple of days to recover. Just hang in tight. We all will get something positive..... :)

Yup Queens hurt the most- mostly because the two profs who agreed to work with me were very optimistic. I also had an email from the program telling me that my application was very strong and I stood a good chance. so much for that (they really shouldn't do that). For everyone who hasn't heard from some PhD programs (this includes me), I say we don't get too negative- you just never know. What's the point of walking around all bummed out without a solid reason?!

And just to put everything in perspective, if our biggest worry in life at the moment is indeed PhD acceptance- I'd say we have it pretty good. The fact that we have applied means we do have serious ambitions- lets not let a few people on a committee dictate our happiness and success.

I know it burns- cause I feel it too... now to take my own advice and let all this stress go

@everygirl

at the bottom of the page...

Key: A: American; U: International, with US degree; I: International, without US degree; O: Other; ?: Unknown.

This person had an 'A' there. but who knows if it's true. :S

When I got my first rejection I was pretty down for a few days. I think it's normal that it stings a bit... I hope everyone gets some (positive) news very soon!

I just got a declination from Carleton's PhD in Communications. Didn't expect it to hurt this much :( One would expect to be strong after so many life experiences, ups and downs, etc...but I guess sad news are what they are!

So sorry to hear your news. I agree -- sad news is sad news, but I think you've come to the right place to find a lot of people who know exactly what a rejection feels like, from one of the places you could really see yourself in. You have company, if that makes you feel better. :) Chin up, there's a place for you somewhere else!

Thank you guys for the support. It helped so much, yesterday. I did pick up on the "wine" suggestion, and strongly recommend it. Hehe, hubby bought me the 90% dark chocolate, a gesture which comes from 5 years of experience ;) . Picked 12 hours of sleep which helped recover from the negativity quicker. First thing this morning, I checked my email with eyes half shut and found a response from Ottawa U's MA in Communication. A positive, at long last!

Fate is a roller coaster...