Waiting it Out on Canadian Universities

NoMoreABD

yes i have been checking the results... one MA notice from UWO in mid feb.. but that is it... and nothing for sfu (in terms of poli sci). but i dont put to much into the results (because not too much reporting on Can schools, esp less internationally recognized ones). so in my thinking, many more MA acceptances could have gone out for UWO as well as for sfu...

Thanks for the advice !! since i dont actually have a decision to make, I think i will just hold out and weight for the rejections (pessimism has over taken me) the old fashioned way haha

Poliscijunkie -- I don't think you should assume the worst, but I think you have a legitimate right to expect an update by now.

Have you been checking the survey page to see whether other people have heard back from those schools? http://thegradcafe.com/survey/ (go to the page, enter your school name and the program -- e.g. "University of Toronto" "political science")

At this point, I don't think there would be anything wrong with sending polite notes to each of the departments asking for a status update. You could mention that you have already heard back from all of the other places to which you applied and will need to make a decision soon (whether or not this is exactly true). I contacted the last three schools I was waiting to hear from and received positive responses within 24-48 hours. In one case, an acceptance; in another, waitlisted; in the last case, a note saying they would try to rush my application.

Good luck! :)

I know how you feel...Have you applied to other universities as well?They will e-mail us the decisions (at least,that's what they told me).

Just NYU and got rejected :(

Hopefully I'll get an acceptance this time. Not so optimistic, though. Last year, I hear they only took 10 people out of 300 apps!

Good luck!

Still nothing from York U. :( Why are they taking so long?

hang in there.

I know decisions for my program have just started to go out for MA and will be going out in the next two weeks for PhD.

I also saw a few postings on the results board for other programs.

Looks like you won't have to wait much longer.

Good Luck!wink.gif

Have any U of Ottawa applicants received news about funding? I just got my official acceptance letter in the mail (for the MA in Public and International Affairs) but said NOTHING about funding. I suspect this means I did not receive any, but I suppose some schools send funding info separately.

Have any U of Ottawa applicants received news about funding? I just got my official acceptance letter in the mail (for the MA in Public and International Affairs) but said NOTHING about funding. I suspect this means I did not receive any, but I suppose some schools send funding info separately.

I am particularly nervous because U of Ottawa calculation my GPA as 7.7 and you need at least an 8.0 out of 10 for admissions scholarships unless the department recommends you based on other factors.

Edited by calum

Hello Carleton.

Your silence is deafening. You rejected someone on the board last week. But you accepted someone at the beginning of the month. So where's my letter/email/phone call?

Is it me? Is it you? Is it my gmail account? Am I refreshing too much?

Can you please pick up the phone, drop an envelope in the mail, stick a post-it on a carrier pigeon and throw the damn bird out the window and LET ME KNOW?!?!

Just got an informal email response from a Carleton PhD program (one, and waiting on another) that the first round of acceptances were sent out. I was not selected. Not clear to me as yet, whether my application was waitlisted or rejected.

Hello Carleton.

Your silence is deafening. You rejected someone on the board last week. But you accepted someone at the beginning of the month. So where's my letter/email/phone call?

Is it me? Is it you? Is it my gmail account? Am I refreshing too much?

Can you please pick up the phone, drop an envelope in the mail, stick a post-it on a carrier pigeon and throw the damn bird out the window and LET ME KNOW?!?!

hang in there.

I know decisions for my program have just started to go out for MA and will be going out in the next two weeks for PhD.

I also saw a few postings on the results board for other programs.

Looks like you won't have to wait much longer.

Good Luck!wink.gif

I hope you're right! I noticed a lot of MA results on the board a few days ago, but there's still nothing from my department.

Good luck to you too! :)

Waiting on an Anthro MA at U of T and NPSIA at Carleton. If anyone hears anything, let me know!

I have heard back from Carleton, Western, and Waterloo for their Anthro MA (if anyone is waiting). As well, several of my friends have heard from York MA programs, except for Development Studies.

Good to know I'm not the only one. There have been a lot of results lately on the results board, so I'm getting worried.

really? when I check, I see some results for PhD's and Masters and not one entry has been for the program that I applied for.The deadline was Feb 1. Maybe it's too soon?

Edited by Kurlee

Final words for this thread:

Everyone, it has been fun to wait with you. You've made this easier, although, at times, more stressful... wink.gif

By now, the last result I'm waiting on should be updated on the school's website. I can't check it yet, I don't want to know. I'm submitting my MA thesis in two days, so I need to concentrate.

Whatever the result may be, I want to say that this forum is great and I glad I found it.

It allows me to do things as writing over-dramatic posts when I need to ventcool.gif

I guess I'll see some of you here again next year, unless of course we meet in a couple of days at the got-into-grad part of this forum.

Anyway, good luck to us all!

Final words for this thread:

Everyone, it has been fun to wait with you. You've made this easier, although, at times, more stressful... wink.gif

By now, the last result I'm waiting on should be updated on the school's website. I can't check it yet, I don't want to know. I'm submitting my MA thesis in two days, so I need to concentrate.

Whatever the result may be, I want to say that this forum is great and I glad I found it.

It allows me to do things as writing over-dramatic posts when I need to ventcool.gif

I guess I'll see some of you here again next year, unless of course we meet in a couple of days at the got-into-grad part of this forum.

Anyway, good luck to us all!

Best of luck to you, Foreign Guy! It was great to wait with you. Hey that rhymed.

@ ForeignGuy -

Just curious - I see that you´re waiting on York U. You mention that it should be updated by now. Why do you say that? I only ask because I also applied to York and have heard nothing. The website reads ´No Decision Yet´. Any scoop?

Thanks and luck!!

@ ForeignGuy -

Just curious - I see that you´re waiting on York U. You mention that it should be updated by now. Why do you say that? I only ask because I also applied to York and have heard nothing. The website reads ´No Decision Yet´. Any scoop?

Thanks and luck!!

Mine also reads 'No Decision Yet'. I think a lot of us are on the same boat.

I also applied to York and have heard nothing. The website reads ´No Decision Yet´. Any scoop?

Hey there,

The only info I have is that my program has posted decisions on the website, both for MA and PhD. They promise to do so by Apr 4 - this is why I think it won't be long for the rest of you.

Good luck everybody!

Is it too early to email Canadian universities for an update yet? I am just waiting on U of T now...

No. I think emailing for an update is perfectly fine. They must know we're going out of our minds, and any department secretary fields several of these per hour.

In other news, I just heard from a friend of a friend that people were accepted into a UofT Masters program in late August to early September two years ago. This story just depressed me, even though it was supposed to cheer me up. If I don't get into my top program (I was waitlisted) by summertime, I will be living my plan B. To get an acceptance that late in the game when I can't do anything about it would almost be worse than an outright rejection.

I'm also waiting on York.... I did find a facebook post from the Education department regarding master's applications in case anyone else is waiting to hear back about that. "The Graduate Admissions is presently adjudicating the doctoral applicant files. Once they are complete, they will be adjudicating the Full-time MEd applicant files and decisions will most likely be made sometime in April." This was posted early March.

U of T is crazy as heck, my partner was outright rejected from U of T and two months later received a fully-funded spot. That is so unbelievably lame. Anyway, he was already accepted to another school, but it kind of shows you the level of disorganization at the school. However, saying that, I did apply and waiting to hear back!

No. I think emailing for an update is perfectly fine. They must know we're going out of our minds, and any department secretary fields several of these per hour.

In other news, I just heard from a friend of a friend that people were accepted into a UofT Masters program in late August to early September two years ago. This story just depressed me, even though it was supposed to cheer me up. If I don't get into my top program (I was waitlisted) by summertime, I will be living my plan B. To get an acceptance that late in the game when I can't do anything about it would almost be worse than an outright rejection.

At the university I am at now one of the PhD students was told she had the funding a week before term started! [Thankfully] she was working in a jon she hated and was taking a year out, so she worked her notice and then came to study here. Just goes to show small miracles do happen.

I'm also waiting on York.... I did find a facebook post from the Education department regarding master's applications in case anyone else is waiting to hear back about that. "The Graduate Admissions is presently adjudicating the doctoral applicant files. Once they are complete, they will be adjudicating the Full-time MEd applicant files and decisions will most likely be made sometime in April." This was posted early March.

thanks!