Waiting it Out on Canadian Universities

NoMoreABD

Thank you guys for the support. It helped so much, yesterday. I did pick up on the "wine" suggestion, and strongly recommend it. Hehe, hubby bought me the 90% dark chocolate, a gesture which comes from 5 years of experience ;) . Picked 12 hours of sleep which helped recover from the negativity quicker. First thing this morning, I checked my email with eyes half shut and found a response from Ottawa U's MA in Communication. A positive, at long last!

Fate is a roller coaster...

Wow, congratulations! My words in the post above were prophetic. I applied for that program too -- guess that means I should be getting nervous.

Congrats, again!

Thank you guys for the support. It helped so much, yesterday. I did pick up on the "wine" suggestion, and strongly recommend it. Hehe, hubby bought me the 90% dark chocolate, a gesture which comes from 5 years of experience ;) . Picked 12 hours of sleep which helped recover from the negativity quicker. First thing this morning, I checked my email with eyes half shut and found a response from Ottawa U's MA in Communication. A positive, at long last!

Lol........Congrats.

Congrats! That's awesome!

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if there are any new Queen admits out there.

I got my offer to Queen's school of graduate studies late March on eservice, which under student number had "not available at this time". I accepted the offer on the same day (it was like March 23 or something)... and to this date I have still not been given a student number.

Just wondering if other new students have received a student number. I contacted my department and they told me that the system is undergoing maintenance and I should get one ... but it's been almost a month since I accepted my offer.

Canadian Universities are sooooooooooo slow, I have not heard from the 5 schools I've applied to :angry: What on earth are they doing? They don't even respect April 15th....dry.gif

BTW the funny thing is I have already accepted an offer from a school in US. I didn't even considred where I applied to, wasted my money and time.dry.gif

Edited by GI1

Canadian Universities are sooooooooooo slow, I have not heard from the 5 schools I've applied to :angry: What on earth are they doing? They don't even respect April 15th....dry.gif

Well, Canadians schools don't abide by the April 15th notification deadline. It's something to take into consideration when applying to Canadian and American schools. If you look at the results board for last season, a lot of Canadian applicants didn't get notified until mid-April, May, and even June! ;)

Edited by PrettyVacant

I am still waiting to hear back from McMaster's HRM program. When I called a couple of weeks ago they said they would have decisions by the end of April. That seems awfully late and now I'm paranoid that that's when the rejection letters go out.

This wait is excruciating. My parents stopped calling because I lose it every time they ask how I am. I have bags under my eyes. I keep hearing the countdown clock from "24" in my head. And I'm pretty sure my email inbox laughs at me every time I hit refresh. I need answers!

I don't have much to go on as there doesn't seem to be any applicants to Women's Studies at York here (past or present). Except for the one person who submitted their rejection on March 25th....

That's the only bit of hope I have, drowned the rest of it with whiskey, chinese food and bad b-movies.

I don't have much to go on as there doesn't seem to be any applicants to Women's Studies at York here (past or present). Except for the one person who submitted their rejection on March 25th....

That's the only bit of hope I have, drowned the rest of it with whiskey, chinese food and bad b-movies.

Not a whiskey drinker myself, but I've been eating a lot of jelly beans and chasing them with beer. (I've created beer-flavored jelly beans!) If I'd never known that American schools have an April 15th deadline, I think I would've been fine. I'm just sort of bitter about Canadians not having the same sort of agreement, but happy that most of the people on this forum will either be ecstatically happy or put out of their misery tomorrow.

I need some advice, because obviously I'm not thinking with a clear head these days.

My POI from my first pick program notified me that they can't make me an offer due to lack of funding (aka someone better got it grrr). After a couple exchanges back and forth, she wrote "We can't promise anything because queen's rule is 18,000 minimum per year for 4 years, it is impossible to create promises before funding packages are in place. If you have other offers that have deadlines, I suggest you take what is secured; but if you can wait, that's great, too."

ok so obviously I'm hanging off the last bit - but since I have not heard from my last school, should I email her and ask her if I'm on a waitlist? Or how to improve my application should I reapply next year... or is silence golden at this point? I really don't want or need to be that pesky applicant. <BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

I need some advice, because obviously I'm not thinking with a clear head these days.

My POI from my first pick program notified me that they can't make me an offer due to lack of funding (aka someone better got it grrr). After a couple exchanges back and forth, she wrote "We can't promise anything because queen's rule is 18,000 minimum per year for 4 years, it is impossible to create promises before funding packages are in place. If you have other offers that have deadlines, I suggest you take what is secured; but if you can wait, that's great, too."

ok so obviously I'm hanging off the last bit - but since I have not heard from my last school, should I email her and ask her if I'm on a waitlist? Or how to improve my application should I reapply next year... or is silence golden at this point? I really don't want or need to be that pesky applicant. <BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

The pertinent question here is: how long ago did your POI email you the bolded bit? If it's been a few weeks, I say ask, ask away, whichever question you wish to ask. Even if it's only been a week or so, I'd probably still email. It's not quite crunch time yet, but it will be soon -- I should think (hope) anyone involved with the PhD admissions process would understand that applicants need to know whatever information is available so they can plan their LIVES.

I really think that worries about being the pesky applicant at this time are unfounded, so long as our emails or calls are polite and not insane sounding. Like I said above, we have to plan our LIVES based on their decisions. I desperately want to hear about whether I've made it off the waitlist so I can sign an apartment lease, leave/stay at my job, etc. This decision will shape my life for the next year or few years. Isn't it understandable that we want to know?

Good luck, andiepants!

The pertinent question here is: how long ago did your POI email you the bolded bit? If it's been a few weeks, I say ask, ask away, whichever question you wish to ask. Even if it's only been a week or so, I'd probably still email. It's not quite crunch time yet, but it will be soon -- I should think (hope) anyone involved with the PhD admissions process would understand that applicants need to know whatever information is available so they can plan their LIVES.

I really think that worries about being the pesky applicant at this time are unfounded, so long as our emails or calls are polite and not insane sounding. Like I said above, we have to plan our LIVES based on their decisions. I desperately want to hear about whether I've made it off the waitlist so I can sign an apartment lease, leave/stay at my job, etc. This decision will shape my life for the next year or few years. Isn't it understandable that we want to know?

Good luck, andiepants!

Thanks for your reasoning... she sent it three weeks ago. I am going to ask but I'll wait until Monday.

Going away for the weekend and I'm going to try not to think about all this for at least a couple days, for the sake of mine and my partner's sanity!

Wow! I never thought that this waiting could be really painful

Meanwhile I think McMaster will send out letters after July 1st!!! At least I think that by this,

Your application will be evaluated when all of the required supporting materials have been received by Friday, July 01, 2011 application deadline.