Waiting it Out on Canadian Universities

NoMoreABD

Has anyone else reached a point where they don't care about grad school anymore. Maybe it's because of the waiting but I seem to be losing interest everyday. Ughh.....:(

I keep telling myself just one more week then decisions get emailed out. I wish Canadian universities were faster.

I can't speak generally, of course, but in my experience Canadian universities are actually faster, or at least roughly the same, as US ones. US application deadlines for me were one to two months earlier than my Canadian ones. My US applications spanned from Nov. 15 to Dec. 31, while my Canadian applications were from Jan. 1 to Jan. 31. I got responses from all around the same time (mid to late February). This suggests to me that, from deadline to notification, Canadian universities are at least as quick, if not quicker, than US.

I'm thinking of contacting my program. They said all decisions would be out by March 31st, and I still haven't heard a thing. :huh:

I wouldn't give up hope - I finally heard from York today! And surprisingly the email was in my junk mail folder... be sure to check your junk mail as well! Since they gave you a date - I'd just wait it out until the end of the day tomorrow and if you still haven't heard anything, then send them a quick polite email.

Edited by daisy416

I wouldn't give up hope - I finally heard from York today! And surprisingly the email was in my junk mail folder... be sure to check your junk mail as well! Since they gave you a date - I'd just wait it out until the end of the day tomorrow and if you still haven't heard anything, then send them a quick polite email.

Yay! I'm glad someone finally heard back from York.

Thank you for your advice. I'll be checking my junk folder as well. If I don't hear anything by 4pm, I'll email them. Tomorrow is gonna be a rough day... but at least I know it should be a matter of hours...

Thank you for your advice. I'll be checking my junk folder as well. If I don't hear anything by 4pm, I'll email them. Tomorrow is gonna be a rough day... but at least I know it should be a matter of hours...

Sounds like a good plan... Best of luck :)

Me too!

Good luck to those of us still waiting.

I sent an email and all I got was "decisions still being made, keep checking the website".

Ugh... angry.gif

i heard from york yesterday too. FINALLY

I checked the application website for UBC yesterday and my application status was finally updated (unfortunately declined) for the 3 yr MARCH program. No other communication except a "We received your application" letter.

Wow. Foreign Guy, I feel like you've been waiting for a response forever. I hope you get a favourable response soon. I'm rooting for you.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

[still nothing, of course...]

Finally heard from the University of Ottawa today. And it was favorable, thank goodness!

I had given my hopes up, thinking that if I had to wait this long for a response it would either be a rejection, or an acceptance with no funding. Thankfully I was wrong and was accepted with decent funding. I'm still waiting on Toronto though.

I can't believe it's taking this long. I feel like I/we have been unofficially waitlisted and that schools are silently waiting to see how many others reject their offers and then, after receiving a certain amount of rejections/acceptances from other students, I/we are given our offer/rejection. It is a horrible process. I guess at least I have somewhere to be next year, Queen's funding offer would've been worse than taking a year off school.

Good luck to everyone!

Got a rejection e-mail from Queens a week ago. Possible rejection from UVic as well sad.gif. No reply from UToronto. Waitlisted on UWO....I guess I'll have to give up my hope of PhD this year....

i am sorry to hear. i know how easy it is to get pessimistic, but i dont think you have to give up hope quite yet. I was just wondering ur uvic and UWO. did you receive an email from Uvic about 2 weeks ago stating they sent out first round? also when did you hear from UWO?

just wondering i applied to both (ma) and have heard NOTHING from uwo and got that email from Uvic. yet i keep hearing a few people sporadically saying they heard something from uwo and it is driving me nuts!

Got a rejection e-mail from Queens a week ago. Possible rejection from UVic as well sad.gif. No reply from UToronto. Waitlisted on UWO....I guess I'll have to give up my hope of PhD this year....

i am sorry to hear. i know how easy it is to get pessimistic, but i dont think you have to give up hope quite yet. I was just wondering ur uvic and UWO. did you receive an email from Uvic about 2 weeks ago stating they sent out first round? also when did you hear from UWO?

just wondering i applied to both (ma) and have heard NOTHING from uwo and got that email from Uvic. yet i keep hearing a few people sporadically saying they heard something from uwo and it is driving me nuts!

This. Sorry to hear about your rejections, but no reason to get pessismistic on UWO. Is the waitlist ranked? If so, what's your place on it? I find that with all the waitlist success stories around here, waitlists don't always mean rejection -- it could just mean delayed acceptance! Best of luck you both.

I'm still waiting on Ryerson, which I haven't heard ANYONE talk about on here. Ryerson seems like a four-letter word with all the talk about UBC, Toronto and McGill on here.

@ poliscijunkie

Yeah I have received the mail from UVic telling me that the first round has gone out. And I mailed Teresa couple of days ago and got a reply immediately saying the adcomm still haven't made any final decisions regarding my application. The first round has gone out from UWO as well. Then they will see how many slots left and then decide and let me know by an e-mail. I think this probably puts me on the waitlist (or a possible rejection list).

:-( :-( :-(

What about you? Any update...?

Edited by Talisman

I am just scared to ask them about the waitlist ranking...laugh.gif. I guess I'll just wait it out and suffer in the meantime. Thanks everygirl for your words of hope.....means a lot right now

well at least you are still in the ranks. i guess it is not THAT late in the canadian process to still not "know".

thanks for that info! it means a lot ! in terms of uvic and uwo - nothing. nothing from sfu either. bad bad bad. i just lost all hope from uwo knowing now that first round has indeed gone out. blah.

@ poliscijunkie

Yeah I have received the mail from UVic telling me that the first round has gone out. And I mailed Teresa couple of days ago and got a reply immediately saying the adcomm still haven't made any final decisions regarding my application. The first round has gone out from UWO as well. Then they will see how many slots left and then decide and let me know by an e-mail. I think this probably puts me on the waitlist (or a possible rejection list).

:-( :-( :-(

What about you? Any update...?

well at least you are still in the ranks. i guess it is not THAT late in the canadian process to still not "know".

thanks for that info! it means a lot ! in terms of uvic and uwo - nothing. nothing from sfu either. bad bad bad. i just lost all hope from uwo knowing now that first round has indeed gone out. blah.

I emailed UWO last week and asked them about my status - rejected. She did say that the official rejection letters (waste of paper if you ask me) had already been mailed out the week before. And I have yet to see anything in my mailbox...maybe your acceptance is still on its way? I haven't read all your posts but if you haven't already I suggest you email the program assistant. goodluck!

you still need to be optimistic ! not even an hour after i posted "guess no UWO for me" i received my UWO acceptance with great funding... this morning i had written off this entire process....

I guess my hopes are gone as well. Well....I'm just being realistic; not optimistic. mellow.gif

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but I was wondering what range qualifies as bad, good, or great funding. One school offered me 9,500 for a one-year history MA and I'm thinking this is horrible funding. Is it? Or is it considered okay funding? Just curious what the standards are. Thanks.

you still need to be optimistic ! not even an hour after i posted "guess no UWO for me" i received my UWO acceptance with great funding... this morning i had written off this entire process....

Wow! Congratulations. I guess all you need to do to get accepted is mention you haven't heard on here. A watched pot does boil!

In that case: Ryerson, Carleton, U of Ottawa.... I'm looking at you.