Hey you, guess what?

skeedy

There is good in every situation.

No matter what happens over the next month or even the next week(s), remember that this hair-pulling, teeth-grinding, death-glaring-at-the-results-page experience isn't in vain - no matter what the outcome. So many people live their lives without taking chances, and as grad school applicants every single one of us has proven that we are courageous, driven, and willing to take (big) risks for (big) rewards. This whole process has been an exciting/nerve-wracking/humbling experience but interacting with all of you grad cafe users has shown me that the journey really is as important as the destination. Cheesy? Yes. True? You betcha.

Basically: Be proud of yourself for what you are doing. You're kind of awesome.

Thank you very much. I needed that. I now have seven rejections total in two years, and the rest of the schools are, I fear, just taking their time in getting back to me for numbers 8-12. If it weren't for GradCafe I would have gone mad. But everyone here says that I am so passionate and encourages me, so I will prevail whatever happens!

I've been following the current application season and I remember how I felt last year while I was waiting for news from the programs. I was in panic mode. Couldn't sleep, constantly checked my e-mail, constantly checking the results page, eating what I shouldn't eat, drinking more alcohol than usual, etc. In other words, I remember it as hell. But, trust me, I don't regret anything at all. I wouldn't do it again (God, not again!!!), but I think it was completely worth it. I spend several really crappy weeks, but now I'm studying something I love in a wonderful program with wonderful people. So hang in there, keep coming to GradCafe (which helps TONS), and think that, with a little bit of luck, you'll be studying what you really love in a few months.

All my good vibes to all of you. Good luck with your applications and throw a party when you're done, no matter the outcome! rolleyes.gif

P.S. I leave you with this Chinese parable, which I like and think it's useful during an application process: http://www.cleveland.com/living/index.ssf/2009/02/parable_of_a_chinese_farmer_ho.html

"the journey really is as important as the destination"

Thank you, skeedy! And good luck to you all who is on this journey.

It is so good to hear that I am not the only one who is going through fits waiting for replies from schools. I am not close with anyone else who is applying so I don't have anyone I can talk to about what I am going through. Waiting for replies from schools is like going through detox. I can't sleep, I can't eat, and I can only think about one thing- checking my email over and over like some sort of junkie. I just want the wait to be over!

There is good in every situation.

No matter what happens over the next month or even the next week(s), remember that this hair-pulling, teeth-grinding, death-glaring-at-the-results-page experience isn't in vain - no matter what the outcome. So many people live their lives without taking chances, and as grad school applicants every single one of us has proven that we are courageous, driven, and willing to take (big) risks for (big) rewards. This whole process has been an exciting/nerve-wracking/humbling experience but interacting with all of you grad cafe users has shown me that the journey really is as important as the destination. Cheesy? Yes. True? You betcha.

Basically: Be proud of yourself for what you are doing. You're kind of awesome.

Upvote for Hyperbole And A Half avatar

Upvote for Hyperbole And A Half avatar

Thanks -It was time to make the change. And I already posted the Alot image in another forum topic, so this made the next best sense.

Glad to cheer some of y'all up! I have been having some high "highs" and low "lows" this past week... And I have to keep reminding myself that the experience itself is worth something.