Acceptance email... for SOMEONE ELSE!!!

lil kiwi

I got an email from a professor at 'school which shall not be named' today. I had never heard from him nor gotten in touch with him myself.

The email basically said:

"Dear 'random person's name'

I'm pleased to let you know that you have been accepted into the Neuroscience programme at our school

details of who they will hear from and what they should expect to get in the mail"

I emailed him back saying that that was not my name, though I did also apply to your programme "I'm guessing this email was not intended for me?"

The reply basically said, oops, we screwed up: please disregard and this doesn't have any bearing on your application - we are sending out admissions info one at a time.

I cannot believe this happened... I will be super pissed off now if they don't accept me. AND I'm not so sure if I'm still interested in a school that can't even get their email addresses right :( :( :(

I've definitely heard of that happening before.

At my old school, they actually emailed our social security numbers out to a swath of other students instead of the faculty... whoops.

If you're sending anything that has any real bearing, I recommend checking the To: field. For things like this, I feel like its only right.

I received an acceptance from one school, and then two days later received a form email informing me I was waitlisted. I responded to them and basically said, ":unsure:" and they wrote me back saying they'd sent the email to the wrong listserve and reassured me of my admission. Apparently all admitted applicants were accidentally informed they were waitlisted. They had to send out a mass PLEASE DISREGARD LAST EMAIL message in response. I bet they got a lot of panicked responses in the few minutes before the problem was corrected...

I also know that some students received the waitlist email and then were accepted afterwards; for those of you who recognize this situation, I would write to confirm that you were on the right list!

This happened to me a couple weeks ago, except I received a rejection letter addressed to someone other than myself. So I had a few moments of panicky, 'there's still hope!' before sending off an email to clarify and finding out not much later on that the rejection was, indeed, intended for me-- they'd just gotten the name wrong. Really, really wrong. "Sorry for that. Yeah, you're still rejected."

Not the way to go about giving out information that meant so much to me.

Good thing you read it properly. I probably would have been so excited I wouldn't have noticed and then gone and told all my friends/family, then horribly embarassed myself.

That is so unprofessional of them!

That would totally happen to me... I have only really checked the first lines of my letters for good or bad... that's terrible!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I'm so happy for you. After all that suspense, you should not have deserved anything less than an acceptance!

:D:D:D:D

May I ask what programs you've applied to? I'm applying for neuroscience as well but still waiting on my decisions. Wish me luck!

Ughh. That would be my worst nightmare. I can't believe that happened. But on the bright side you're in :) Congrats!! I hope they gave you some good funding after that mishap. Full tuition waiver. $100,000,000,000,000 per year stipend. hehe.

Goodluck with decisions.

I got an email from a professor at 'school which shall not be named' today. I had never heard from him nor gotten in touch with him myself.

The email basically said:

"Dear 'random person's name'

I'm pleased to let you know that you have been accepted into the Neuroscience programme at our school

details of who they will hear from and what they should expect to get in the mail"

I emailed him back saying that that was not my name, though I did also apply to your programme "I'm guessing this email was not intended for me?"

The reply basically said, oops, we screwed up: please disregard and this doesn't have any bearing on your application - we are sending out admissions info one at a time.

I cannot believe this happened... I will be super pissed off now if they don't accept me. AND I'm not so sure if I'm still interested in a school that can't even get their email addresses right :( :( :(

You should have replied:

Dear Professor,

I don't wish to attend your school. However my friend Lil Kiwi also applied. He/she is far smarter and harder working than I am.

Yours truly,

Other Person

Thanks everyone, I'm super excited :)

joenobody0: very creative, I like it!

PhD Pharmacist: I applied to Rockefeller, Northwestern, NYU, Cornell, Boston, UIC, UAB and Purdue. I've heard back from all of them now and I'm trying to make my choice :)