Who else has still heard nothing from a school?

mj53

I feel a little better knowing I'm not the only one having this problem (although I'm really sorry anyone else is put in this position). I'm still waiting to hear from OSU, the only school on my list who hasn't rejected me. I've emailed the history grad coordinator on two separate occasions (separated by a month), and spoke with the Office of Graduate Admissions once--but no one seems to want to give me any answers. I called the history coordinator just yesterday, because decisions were supposed to come out this week. I was simply told that decisions would be sent this week, and my request to see if someone could just look up my application and tell me over the phone was denied. Perhaps this seems a little pushy, but I desperately need to find housing and a job if I'm not accepted to OSU.

Has anyone else been having this problem with OSU in particular? I saw one of two posts of this nature in the results search, but those posters were able to get answers over the phone, or were notified in mid-March as opposed to the end.

Some schools don't send out anything if they reject you, period. You might end up having to contact them to find out about your rejection. I speak from experience...

What!

No rejection letter, even a form one? That's terrible. You would think the application fee buys you some kind of notification!

I just accepted an offer and no longer care about my #4 application I was waiting on. But today I got an automated email from their portal website saying that my password was about to expire, and that I needed to change it. This was after sending my master's transcript twice, having them still mark my application "incomplete," and then not answering my email as to how to remedy this situation.

Well, good riddance.

The last school I'm waiting for emailed me two weeks ago and told me my application was under review and they would notify me once a decision is made, then to email if I had any questions. I sent an email back maybe an hour later expressing my continued interest in their school, etc. It's been two weeks. My girlfriend keeps yelling at me, telling me to get another email from them. D:

I applied to two schools. According to this site, they started sending out acceptances the week of the 14th. I did not get an acceptance letter, so I assume that I was not their first choice. They began sending out rejection letters and "wait list" announcements at the end of last week. I have received neither. I have no idea what this means. Any insight would be appreciated.

There was a recent news story that the University of Washington (my first choice) has a bias against in-state applicants. It is difficult budget times and they just don't get enough money from the in-state people, so they are accepting a disproportionately large number of out of state applications. (News story stated that some 3.8 GPA / 1580 SAT undergrad applicants were being turned away). I also saw that the University of Washington was having a reception this weekend for "Students of Color". Alas, I am a white man :-( On the "bright" side, I am over 40; maybe they need to increase that demographic.

The second school - University of British Columbia - stated overtly "don't contact us, we will contact you" when they confirmed that they had received all the supporting documentation for my application. No updates have been posted on UBC's application portal. It just states "Application Complete".

Any thoughts regarding what, if anything, I should be reading into the deafening sound of silence?

To those who didn't hear from a school and emailed them to ask about it, who did you email? The graduate admissions office or the graduate program coordinator or both? I think emailing the graduate admissions office might not yield a helpful response, but emailing the program coordinator might annoy them. What did you all do?

To those who didn't hear from a school and emailed them to ask about it, who did you email? The graduate admissions office or the graduate program coordinator or both? I think emailing the graduate admissions office might not yield a helpful response, but emailing the program coordinator might annoy them. What did you all do?

ex

For American University I've been only emailing admissions, I've done it twice now and was really told the very same thing..."you'll from us the first week of April." I had asked a more specific question the second time and it wasn't really answered. At this point I won't email anyone else, if I don't get anything the mail by next Friday, I'm calling.

But at George Mason when I found out my application was fully processed after being declared "incomplete" by admissions I emailed the coordinator just because I had spoken to her on the phone after getting that annoying "incomplete" email. I actually called her by accident, meant to call admissions but dialed her number instead, glad I did. So when I figured I'd email her and not admissions a couple of days later to let her know that my application was now complete I also asked when I could expect a decision because admissions didn't say anything about it. She said I should be receiving a very exciting letter in the mail next week. That has definitely been the most helpful response I've ever gotten.

I know I have been unofficially admitted to one good school, but have not gotten official notice of admissions or funding yet. I just emailed the department's head graduate coordinator and got an automatic email that said she was out of office until April 11th. So helpful... I really need to know what's going on because if they fund me, I will probably go there.

I am still waiting on UT Austin's Masters program in Higher Education Administration. I called them on Tuesday and they said they thought it was strange that my status hadn't updated on the website because they submitted all of the acceptances/rejections on Tuesday... I can't get ahold of the coordinator for this program and have left a voice mail with no response. It makes me uneasy when someone in that department doesn't know why my status wasn't changed...

Anyone waiting for this program as well?

Still waiting on both remaining schools. My guess is "waitlist" for both, but I haven't seen anything pop up on the results section. To be fair, that doesn't mean anything, but I still have hope, right?:unsure:

I applied to 6 American schools. So far one school rejected me via email last month. None of the other 5 contact me for any news. I feel frustrated. I have received an offer without information of funding from a shool in UK and need to confirm acceptance by 28 April.

I figure that I have been rejected by the 5 schools, but at least they should send me letters of results so that I won't wait.

I applied to 6 American schools. So far one school rejected me via email last month. None of the other 5 contact me for any news. I feel frustrated. I have received an offer without information of funding from a shool in UK and need to confirm acceptance by 28 April.

I figure that I have been rejected by the 5 schools, but at least they should send me letters of results so that I won't wait.

Since the American schools have to make decisions by April 15th, you'll have to hear by then. Hopefully good news too.

Hello everyone, I am new to this board. I saw grad cafe when browsing through grad school reply times. I myself am quite anxious about hearing back from graduate schools. I would like to ask you all your opinions on certain matters and if you have heard from any schools. I'm applying for an International Affairs program at Penn State, American U, and GWU, as well as an MPA program in GMU and JMU. I filled out and completed all the applications around late December, but the recommendation letters weren't in until probably the first week of February. I have heard from JMU and GWU (accepted and rejected, respectively). However I am waiting on hearing back from PSU, GMU, and AU. I see during searches that there have been a lot of responses for AU but nothing for PSU's School of International Affairs. I mean nothing, nada. I scrolled through all 14 pages. So I called American and Penn State today to determine the status of my applications. Penn State, the Director of Admissions was out but a lady took down my name and number. My question here is this doesn't hurt my chances that I am just inquiring about when a response will be mailed out, correct? (Note: I did not use any charged words or show any pre-conceptions). When calling American I was told that my letter is on the way this week, and should expect it by Friday or Monday at the absolute latest. Does this late mailing from American mean I was rejected, or is this whole "batch" theory correct? Thanks for hearing me out fellow prospective grad students. It is nice to know there is somewhere to vent my tensions.

~Grndhog

P.S. My apologies for the verboseness of my post, but I had a lot to say.

Hello everyone, I am new to this board. I saw grad cafe when browsing through grad school reply times. I myself am quite anxious about hearing back from graduate schools. I would like to ask you all your opinions on certain matters and if you have heard from any schools. I'm applying for an International Affairs program at Penn State, American U, and GWU, as well as an MPA program in GMU and JMU. I filled out and completed all the applications around late December, but the recommendation letters weren't in until probably the first week of February. I have heard from JMU and GWU (accepted and rejected, respectively). However I am waiting on hearing back from PSU, GMU, and AU. I see during searches that there have been a lot of responses for AU but nothing for PSU's School of International Affairs. I mean nothing, nada. I scrolled through all 14 pages. So I called American and Penn State today to determine the status of my applications. Penn State, the Director of Admissions was out but a lady took down my name and number. My question here is this doesn't hurt my chances that I am just inquiring about when a response will be mailed out, correct? (Note: I did not use any charged words or show any pre-conceptions). When calling American I was told that my letter is on the way this week, and should expect it by Friday or Monday at the absolute latest. Does this late mailing from American mean I was rejected, or is this whole "batch" theory correct? Thanks for hearing me out fellow prospective grad students. It is nice to know there is somewhere to vent my tensions.

~Grndhog

P.S. My apologies for the verboseness of my post, but I had a lot to say.

First, no apologies necessary, we're all here to vent, rant, and support each other through this insane process. Second, I also applied to GMU, but for Global Affairs which is under the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, not sure if the MPA is under the same. I submitted my app to Mason in mid-January, however it wasn't processed and deemed complete until just 2 or 3 weeks ago. They didn't start processing until after the March 15th deadline, but they send out the decisions as soon as they're made, which is good. I did not expect to hear from them so soon. First off, I had contacted the coordinator because they claimed they did not receive one of my documents, she told me if they didn't get back to me in a few days she would see to it herself. I emailed her letting her know they found it and completed my application and asked when to expect a decision, her response floored me, "you should receive a very exciting letter in the mail next week!" And she was for real. But they just started making decisions like 2 weeks ago, I guess mine was at the top of the pile somehow, not sure, maybe it was because I was in contact with the program coordinator, who knows.

I was waitlisted for GW's International Development program, glad I still have a shot at it, however slim, but I'm not counting on it and I'm just running with Mason now.

In regards to American....sigh, I got my reject letter for International Development also in the mail today. I read it and then promptly shredded it. I didn't expect a rejection, most people on this board who got rejected or waitlisted at GW got INTO American. The batch theory is definitely solid. Those of us who have been waiting and waiting are starting to receive waitlist and rejection letters. Most of the acceptances went out in the 1st and 2nd batches, we're just not sure at this point if there are any acceptances in the 3rd batch at all. There certainly could be so this isn't meant to discourage or upset you, you could be one of the lucky ones. But those few of us that frequent this board who were in the 3rd batch submitted around the same time you did, my LOR wasn't done until the day of the deadline. I don't know if this hurt my chances...I don't care anymore. This is unfortunately the reality of it, but again, there could be acceptances in the batch, we just don't know...or you very well could end up on the waitlist. But you do have an acceptance from JMU and that's something awesome!

Many of us have contacted admissions at least once just to get a little information, I couldn't even imagine something like that hurting your chances. I would say no to that. Admissions is busy because of US.

Have you visited the GMU campus? I'm curious about it.

First, no apologies necessary, we're all here to vent, rant, and support each other through this insane process. Second, I also applied to GMU, but for Global Affairs which is under the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, not sure if the MPA is under the same. I submitted my app to Mason in mid-January, however it wasn't processed and deemed complete until just 2 or 3 weeks ago. They didn't start processing until after the March 15th deadline, but they send out the decisions as soon as they're made, which is good. I did not expect to hear from them so soon. First off, I had contacted the coordinator because they claimed they did not receive one of my documents, she told me if they didn't get back to me in a few days she would see to it herself. I emailed her letting her know they found it and completed my application and asked when to expect a decision, her response floored me, "you should receive a very exciting letter in the mail next week!" And she was for real. But they just started making decisions like 2 weeks ago, I guess mine was at the top of the pile somehow, not sure, maybe it was because I was in contact with the program coordinator, who knows.

I was waitlisted for GW's International Development program, glad I still have a shot at it, however slim, but I'm not counting on it and I'm just running with Mason now.

In regards to American....sigh, I got my reject letter for International Development also in the mail today. I read it and then promptly shredded it. I didn't expect a rejection, most people on this board who got rejected or waitlisted at GW got INTO American. The batch theory is definitely solid. Those of us who have been waiting and waiting are starting to receive waitlist and rejection letters. Most of the acceptances went out in the 1st and 2nd batches, we're just not sure at this point if there are any acceptances in the 3rd batch at all. There certainly could be so this isn't meant to discourage or upset you, you could be one of the lucky ones. But those few of us that frequent this board who were in the 3rd batch submitted around the same time you did, my LOR wasn't done until the day of the deadline. I don't know if this hurt my chances...I don't care anymore. This is unfortunately the reality of it, but again, there could be acceptances in the batch, we just don't know...or you very well could end up on the waitlist. But you do have an acceptance from JMU and that's something awesome!

Many of us have contacted admissions at least once just to get a little information, I couldn't even imagine something like that hurting your chances. I would say no to that. Admissions is busy because of US.

Hey, thanks for the response. I have also resigned myself to the fact that I got rejected from American. Just looking through all the searches in results and seeing all the acceptances tells me there will be terrible few to hand out come this third and last batch. However I may just be projecting my cynical view onto their possibly un-biased process and the fact that we're in the last "batch" could mean absolutely nothing. Who knows.

I have been to Mason's campus a couple of times. I am from the area, it is where I grew up. There is nothing special about it to be honest, and the campus is fractured. Overall, Northern Virginia is not my favorite place in the world when speaking in the context of a college town/area. Who knows you may like the feel of Mason's campus, I just know that personally I am not a huge fan.

On a second note I just got my letter of admission to Mason's MPA program today. This is a huge relief because their program actually offers a concentration that is germane to what I wish to do career-wise. Or at the very least it unlocks the doorway to a job in the DoD. So depending on what the last 2 schools say, maybe see you around?

On a second note I just got my letter of admission to Mason's MPA program today. This is a huge relief because their program actually offers a concentration that is germane to what I wish to do career-wise. Or at the very least it unlocks the doorway to a job in the DoD. So depending on what the last 2 schools say, maybe see you around?

Awesome! Congratulations!

I'm still waiting. I should probably bite the bullet and ask. My top choice is three hours behind, so they should still be there...

This wait is getting to me. The other night I had a dream that my sister (a history major!) got acceptance letters from the programs I applied to. :(

Edited by Owlie

Congrats!! They work fast, which is refreshing. In regards to the campus, I still would prefer to actually be at one of the top schools in DC if I'm being honest,that's where I plan to do any internship or job. But I applied to Mason because I deemed it a safety school, it's almost in DC, and they at the very least have something pretty close to what I wanted, which was International Development with a Governance and Democracy concentration like American and GW have. Mason has a specialization in Global Governance and Public Management., close enough. For me the location is a very close second in importance to of course my desired program. I didn't even consider any school not in the DC area. I'm fine with a not-so-special campus and I'm ready and excited about returning to academia, I guess if I were an undergrad living on campus I'd care more or if I had any other options ;)

I have to start the process of finding an apartment, I know DC a little and know a few people in town, but obviously I can't justify living in DC if I'm not even going to school there so I'm thinking about finding something in between DC and the campus but I have to be very close to a metro stop because I do not want the expense of a car. This is so new and I haven't even touched this subject until right now because I couldn't get motivated to do the research until I got an acceptance letter.

Oh, and I already confirmed my admission with Mason and they told me I can start registering for classes on April 12! Yikes, this is for real now. The only way I won't be at Mason is if I get an offer from GW in May, but the chance of that happening is most likely incredibly slim..so sure see ya around!

Congrats!! They work fast, which is refreshing. In regards to the campus, I still would prefer to actually be at one of the top schools in DC if I'm being honest,that's where I plan to do any internship or job. But I applied to Mason because I deemed it a safety school, it's almost in DC, and they at the very least have something pretty close to what I wanted, which was International Development with a Governance and Democracy concentration like American and GW have. Mason has a specialization in Global Governance and Public Management., close enough. For me the location is a very close second in importance to of course my desired program. I didn't even consider any school not in the DC area. I'm fine with a not-so-special campus and I'm ready and excited about returning to academia, I guess if I were an undergrad living on campus I'd care more or if I had any other options ;)

I have to start the process of finding an apartment, I know DC a little and know a few people in town, but obviously I can't justify living in DC if I'm not even going to school there so I'm thinking about finding something in between DC and the campus but I have to be very close to a metro stop because I do not want the expense of a car. This is so new and I haven't even touched this subject until right now because I couldn't get motivated to do the research until I got an acceptance letter.

Oh, and I already confirmed my admission with Mason and they told me I can start registering for classes on April 12! Yikes, this is for real now. The only way I won't be at Mason is if I get an offer from GW in May, but the chance of that happening is most likely incredibly slim..so sure see ya around!

Have you looked into Alexandria? There's a ton of different Metro stops and it seems to be a lot cheaper than DC itself.

Have you looked into Alexandria? There's a ton of different Metro stops and it seems to be a lot cheaper than DC itself.

I will consider it now, thanks for the suggestion! Have you decided on a school yet?