E-mailing potential professors

mj53

I know it's common practice to e-mail a professor you're interested in working with when you apply for PhD programs but does this also hold true for terminal Masters programs? I applied to PhD only programs last year and did not get in so this year Im including some terminal Masters programs and I'm trying to gauge if the same rules apply.

I guess Im asking this question because I feel like with a Masters program you aren't working as closely with a single professor as you would be in a PhD program. Or am I just completely wrong here? I've put together a list of schools which I plan on applying to so is it customary for applicants to email professors in the department for terminal Masters programs as well?

Also a side note, if anyone would like to give me some pointers on what to include in such an e-mail let me know. I did them last year but I was fairly brief in them so if someone with better experience who has actually been accepted wouldn't mind sharing how they approached the first e-mail to a prospective professor I'd definitely like to hear what you have to say.

Thanks.

I know it's common practice to e-mail a professor you're interested in working with when you apply for PhD programs but does this also hold true for terminal Masters programs? I applied to PhD only programs last year and did not get in so this year Im including some terminal Masters programs and I'm trying to gauge if the same rules apply.

I guess Im asking this question because I feel like with a Masters program you aren't working as closely with a single professor as you would be in a PhD program. Or am I just completely wrong here? I've put together a list of schools which I plan on applying to so is it customary for applicants to email professors in the department for terminal Masters programs as well?

Also a side note, if anyone would like to give me some pointers on what to include in such an e-mail let me know. I did them last year but I was fairly brief in them so if someone with better experience who has actually been accepted wouldn't mind sharing how they approached the first e-mail to a prospective professor I'd definitely like to hear what you have to say.

Thanks.

I think it is okay to email master's program profs as well. You would still be working in their lab right?

I think emails should be pretty brief to potential professors.

Something like:

Dr. X, hi my name is blank and i'm interested in school Y's psychology program. I am interested in your blank research and was wondering if you were taking any students next fall.

thank you,

neuropsych76

Most of the time they'll give you a brief yes or no reply. but sometimes they'll ask for a cv or even want to talk on the phone.

note: how the respond seems to have very little predictive value on if they will accept you though.

I emailed professors at all my schools and also mentioned them in my essays.

One school was a 1-year more general program, and barely any of them replied.

Professors at the 3 other schools I replied to replied quite enthusiastically. At some programs, they don't have a say in the admissions process, so they just told me about their research, asked me if I had any questions, and asked me to let them know if I got invited for an interview day (or if I got accepted). Some take students on during the 1st year, and remember the ones who contacted them early on as priority students.

Other schools, the professors seemed to have much more influence.

Overall, it definitely can't hurt, and is a good process to go through before you commit to a program. You get a great sense of how involved the professors are and how much they care. Include your CV with the article as well.

I recently spoke to my thesis mentor who is the director of clinical training at my university about this exact topic.

She said make you actually read the professors website before you email them. One of the most annoying things was getting emails asking if she was accepting students when she had already discussed this on her website.

She said some professors love getting these emails and will respond enthusiastically. Others are kind of apathetic. She did mention that some professors don't really like getting these emails but that it won't negatively affect you in the application process. A brief email in early fall isn't going to follow you during apps, most professors will just forget about them. All in all, she said go for it. It can't hurt.

Say that you're interested in their work and applying for the next app cycle. Read some of their publications before hand and come up with one or two questions. Keep it brief and simple. You don't have to send your CV unless they ask

Edited by syzergy

JW, is mentioning POIs in SOI the standard practice?

I emailed professors at all my schools and also mentioned them in my essays.

One school was a 1-year more general program, and barely any of them replied.

Professors at the 3 other schools I replied to replied quite enthusiastically. At some programs, they don't have a say in the admissions process, so they just told me about their research, asked me if I had any questions, and asked me to let them know if I got invited for an interview day (or if I got accepted). Some take students on during the 1st year, and remember the ones who contacted them early on as priority students.

Other schools, the professors seemed to have much more influence.

Overall, it definitely can't hurt, and is a good process to go through before you commit to a program. You get a great sense of how involved the professors are and how much they care. Include your CV with the article as well.

^ Not JW, but from what I can tell, yes, it is.

Some schools, like Stanford, even require you to list a certain number of people you're interested in working with at the top of your SOP!

I'd recommend just fitting in a line or two about how you're really excited about X's work and would love to continue your scientific development doing Y and Z with N equipment/methods.

Thanks!

^ Not JW, but from what I can tell, yes, it is.

Some schools, like Stanford, even require you to list a certain number of people you're interested in working with at the top of your SOP!

I'd recommend just fitting in a line or two about how you're really excited about X's work and would love to continue your scientific development doing Y and Z with N equipment/methods.

JW, is mentioning POIs in SOI the standard practice?

Check the school websites for masters. For PhD, it definitely is. For Masters, it's a gray area. Some schools, you are assigned 1 mentor/adviser (faculty member) and they have much more influence in your acceptance. For those schools, definitely put in their names. In other master's programs, you are more accepted to the general program and if you are assigned a professor (sometimes you're not at all), then it happens at the end of the 1st year. In those cases, I still emailed the faculty members (it was really helpful to talk to them) and I mentioned them in my essay but it was more like ("I'm interested in a variety of things, such as x's research") since the professors really have little influence on the admissions process. But you still want to show that you have knowledge about the program and the research done there.

Good luck!

• 11 months later...

I know that this thread has been inactive for awhile, but I wanted to add one question...WHEN is a good time to send the email asking if they are taking students for the next year? One of my advisers told me that mid to end of summer is good because profs aren't as busy during the summer (as opposed to during the semester) but another person told me that they may not know that early if they are taking students for the next cycle. Any feedback on this?

I know that this thread has been inactive for awhile, but I wanted to add one question...WHEN is a good time to send the email asking if they are taking students for the next year? One of my advisers told me that mid to end of summer is good because profs aren't as busy during the summer (as opposed to during the semester) but another person told me that they may not know that early if they are taking students for the next cycle. Any feedback on this?

There are definitely multiple aspects... They are more likely to reply, but less likely to remember you. Also, it so far from when they actually make admissions decisions that they're unlikely to know how many students they're taking. This is also influenced by funding--they might be waiting on a bunch of grant apps, and those decisions (outside of their control) could/would impact their interest/enthusiasm in taking students. I would go for it anyway after doing careful review of their site and their current pubs/CV (might not be listed on their site--look on pubmed or similar sites).

Coincidentally I was talking to a prof today who said he hates these emails because he gets the impression that students are trying to circumvent the admissions process. Even if he's in the minority, prospective students would do well to avoid any hints at this in their emails.

I pointed out that I personally emailed profs because I wanted to see whether they were taking students and save $100 if I knew there was no chance of admission (i.e., cheap not obsequious) and that if he had a current "I'm taking/not taking students" statement on his website it might cut down on inquiries ;)

Thank you all for your feedback. This whole prep/application process is liking walking on eggshells in many ways and it is so hard to know what/when to do things to make the best impression and accomplish what you need to. <SIGH> I appreciate all of your comments :)

There was one school I applied to (Pittsburgh, I believe) that had a statement on each prof's profile about whether or not they were taking students. Wish every school had that...definitely would have saved $$!

Hi there,

I would start in the late summer/fall. Summer is often a time for conferences, vacation and/or data collection, so some profs might not be around.

I know some people mentioned not emailing profs because you might send off the wrong vibe...but I HIGHLY recommend investigating who you want to work with, as this will be an important relationship for you for the next 2 years.

I would first look through departmental websites at who has the same areas as you, and even look at some publications and previous student dissertations. Then I might email some of their current students to ask them what it's like to work with the professor, and mention that you are interested in the possibility of doing your masters with them. I have received some of these emails, and have never minded responding. Then I would email the professor a short email with your area of interest/topic, and ask if they are taking on students in the upcoming year and the possibility of meeting with them. Because it's your masters, you will also need committee members, so even if the prof says they are not taking on students, it might be still valuable to meet and talk about your research, as they could be a potential committee member.

I would make sure all your emails are short, and worded in a way that suggests you are grateful for them taking their time to read/consider you, and that you are excited at the prospect of working with them! You want to be very professional and respectful (which I am sure you are! :) )

There was one school I applied to (Pittsburgh, I believe) that had a statement on each prof's profile about whether or not they were taking students. Wish every school had that...definitely would have saved $$!

Yes, that would be awesome! So far I haven't found any of my POIs that have this, but thanks for the tip!

Hi there,

I would start in the late summer/fall. Summer is often a time for conferences, vacation and/or data collection, so some profs might not be around.

I know some people mentioned not emailing profs because you might send off the wrong vibe...but I HIGHLY recommend investigating who you want to work with, as this will be an important relationship for you for the next 2 years.

I would first look through departmental websites at who has the same areas as you, and even look at some publications and previous student dissertations. Then I might email some of their current students to ask them what it's like to work with the professor, and mention that you are interested in the possibility of doing your masters with them. I have received some of these emails, and have never minded responding. Then I would email the professor a short email with your area of interest/topic, and ask if they are taking on students in the upcoming year and the possibility of meeting with them. Because it's your masters, you will also need committee members, so even if the prof says they are not taking on students, it might be still valuable to meet and talk about your research, as they could be a potential committee member.

I would make sure all your emails are short, and worded in a way that suggests you are grateful for them taking their time to read/consider you, and that you are excited at the prospect of working with them! You want to be very professional and respectful (which I am sure you are! :) )

Thanks for the info! I have done a lot of the research that you have suggested except emailing current grad students. I hadn't really thought of that as an option, so thanks for this :) It looks like I should probably shoot for sending my POIs emails around August 30-ish.

About emailing current graduate students: Remember that we talk to one another and to the profs. Recently I had someone email me about my program and I gave a prompt and detailed reply. At lunch that day, eating with my fellow students, I found out that this person had simultaneously emailed half a dozen of us and we'd all replied, and now were irritated at all the duplication of effort.

tldr: Email one or two grad students per school, not all of them.

• 5 months later...