Climate Change

neuropsych76

I'm from the northeastern US and the weather except for summer is often chilly with lots of snow in the winter. But for grad school, I'm moving to the south where it's warm pretty much year round :) I'm excited to not have to worry about snow and months of coldness. I even think it's a good trade for very hot southern summers.

Just wondering if anyone is changing to a different climate for grad school (or has changed) and they are expecting or what it was like :)

I'll be moving from a tropical country to a place that apparently can have some harsh winters. I've visited places that have winters and experienced snow and ice before, I just haven't had to live through it, so it should be quite the adjustment.

Edited by newms

I am changing for a different climate. But luckily it won't be too different. I would not want the change to be too drastic. So it will be warmer than in a place I have lived in, but not too much. Which is perfect! :)

Philadelphia to Edmonton, Alberta. Everyone I've told this too is convinced I'm going to freeze to death, but I'm actually looking forward to the cooler weather. I'll take freezing winters over blistering humid summers any day.

I live in Arizona, where the temperature ranges between 30 degrees at night in the dead of winter and 120 degrees in a hot summer (2 days ago). I specifically didn't apply to any schools where I might find that legendary white frozen water falling from the sky and blocking in my car. My school in CA will be even nicer than it is here! Not as cold, and not as hot! I am still worried about that legendary LIQUID water that might fall from the sky though...

Haha Aaron, the weather is absolutely miserable here right now isn't it? Well, I think so. Now that monsoon season is here it's also humid, which makes it worse. I've lived in NJ most of life though and have to say that the general lack of humidity here is the one thing I will miss, but I can't take this heat and I miss the gorgeous fall season. I'm headed back to the east coast, Northern VA/DC area and can't wait.

I've lived in the the Northeast all of my life, specifically Pennsylvania, and will be moving down to Nashville, TN for graduate school. I am definitely looking forward to living in warm weather for most of the year and not having to deal with tons of snow in the winter. I've been told that people in Nashville go crazy when there is 1 or 2 feet of snow on the ground. Shows you how rare snow is down there! I don't think I will miss Northeast weather at all.

Edited by ZeeMore21

Philadelphia to Edmonton, Alberta. Everyone I've told this too is convinced I'm going to freeze to death, but I'm actually looking forward to the cooler weather. I'll take freezing winters over blistering humid summers any day.

I've been in Edmonton in winter. Yes, it gets cold, but it really is a drier cold; it doesn't penetrate the way East Coast winters do.

Days it was 0C/32F, I walked around with my coat unzipped, no hat (and my hair is thinning), no gloves.

I'm from the northeastern US, and thus far have mainly lived in the Northeast, plus Ontario and Newfoundland Canada. I'm looking forward to the mild Vancouver climate and yes, even the perpetual drizzle that makes the PNW so lush and green.

I'm from Edmonton. Dry cold is really the best kind of cold. If you bundle up enough you will stay warm. Wet cold is just miserable and penetrates through everything.

Summers can be nice, but it really didn't feel like summer until last weekend. Now it's super hot and there are literally a million mosquitoes (it's not usually or always this bad). I thought I was going to go insane from being swarmed by them at rugby practice last night.

I'm not looking forward to the humidity in Toronto. Makes everything so much hotter/colder. And my hair won't stay straight if I straighten it :(

I'm from a tropical country and will be moving to a state which experiences all four seasons. I have never experienced snow and have never visited a place that have winter, so that'll be something new to me. Climate-wise, it's going to be a big adjustment for me.

I will be moving from Vancouver where it rarely gets too hot or too cold, to the land of extremes: the Midwestern United States. I'm not looking forward to the change in climate. I just hope I can go down to the tropics frequently for my research :)

Edmonton definitely gets cold in the winter. I agree that dry cold is better because it doesn't penetrate like wet cold. However, there is an evil that lives in the prairies that is hard to escape, in the form of wind. The wind reduces the already cold temperatures with a wind chill that can freeze exposed skin in a matter of seconds. I lived my childhood in Regina and found the winters nearly unbearable. I have heard that Edmonton is even colder. At least the mosquitos are not too bad in in Edmonton summers.

Oh prairie winters... I remember the day that I walked home from school and the wind chill was -72'C. I'm going to have some good stories for my grandchildren someday...

I'm from a tropical country and will be moving to a state which experiences all four seasons. I have never experienced snow and have never visited a place that have winter, so that'll be something new to me. Climate-wise, it's going to be a big adjustment for me.

Snow is great! I hope you'll love it :)

Yeah the winter cold sure motivates you to get school work done though. It's too cold for you to want to go outside and the roads are too bad to make driving anywhere worth it.

I'm moving from northern New Jersey (right outside of NYC) to Arizona. Being from the South, and having lived most of my adult life in California and Florida, I absolutely hatehatehate the winters here. This year, I slipped on the ice and fell down the stairs, injuring my back. Then I fell three days later and dislocated my shoulder. Then while I was going through physical therapy for my shoulder, I slipped on the ice again and fell on my injured shoulder.

I am completely finished with winter. You can have it. I never need to see snow, sleet, or ice again.

Oh I dunno if it's miserable. I can take it. And I know this is odd, but I looove humidity! Oh, and I think you mean haboob season? xD

It would take many more summers before I could say, "I can take it." And yes it is odd that you love humidity, but to each his own. I am going to admit right now that I have no idea what "haboob" season means...but my guess is that it's something that any 12 year old boy would giggle at.

I am hoping I will. :)

It's awesome at first but get's old quick.

I always love seeing people's facebook statuses that are something like "yay first snow of the year" and then a few months later those same statuses morph into "ugh when will spring come." :P

It's awesome at first but get's old quick.

I always love seeing people's facebook statuses that are something like "yay first snow of the year" and then a few months later those same statuses morph into "ugh when will spring come." :P

ditto that. I usually get sick of it by February. December (or earlier) it's still new and fresh. January's okay, but by February, I'm usually ready for a heat wave.

Lol... Im going to Ohio from a tropical country where summer temperatures touch 47 deg celsius :P. I have never seen snow in my life ....and boy I'm looking forward to it !! (though my parents are positive that I'l run away after the first winter ) . wonder whats in store for me...and to the brave soul going to Edmonton...> You'r gonna learn much more than grad school can ever teach you :)

I did the opposite move three years ago - I'm was living in Atlanta and I moved (back) to New York. In my experience, Southern summers are not even really hotter than New York summers - at least not in the last couple of years (they used to be, but with climate change, not so much). It's often the same temperature there as it is here during the summer. The biggest difference is the humidity. Sometimes during Atlanta summers I felt like I was gasping for breath because the air was so thick. It's humid in NYC too, but not that humid.

The biggest change was the winters. I was raised here so I was expecting it, but being back in 20-30 degree weather after ten 40-50 degree winters was a struggle at first. Then I got used to it. I also remembered loving snow, but then again, I was 10. Now I dislike it because it's nasty in NYC.

So yeah, I do miss the mild Atlanta weather.

I've just moved to Tennessee from south Texas, so I'm excited about actually having seasons! Fall and winter usually lasted about a month where thing would get kind of cold, but then went back into the 80s. I hope this winter I get to dust off all of my coats and jackets--wearing shorts outside at Christmas really spoils the holiday spirit! :P

I've just moved to Tennessee from south Texas, so I'm excited about actually having seasons! Fall and winter usually lasted about a month where thing would get kind of cold, but then went back into the 80s. I hope this winter I get to dust off all of my coats and jackets--wearing shorts outside at Christmas really spoils the holiday spirit! :P

What school are you attending genotype?