The 'Am I competitive' thread - READ ME BEFORE POSTING

I have a high undergrad GPA but it's not related to the Masters programs that I'm interested in. Can I still use my GPA as a way to tell if schools are a Longshot, Reach, Match, or Safety? My major was English Lit and I had a 3.8 GPA. I'm interested in applying to MSW programs. 

2 hours ago, Kaykay321 said:

I have a high undergrad GPA but it's not related to the Masters programs that I'm interested in. Can I still use my GPA as a way to tell if schools are a Longshot, Reach, Match, or Safety? My major was English Lit and I had a 3.8 GPA. I'm interested in applying to MSW programs. 

This thread is for Policy and International affairs masters not MSW

• 3 weeks later...

I have a passion for development economics, and really want to hone in my quant skills. I ultimately want to be in international development private consulting at a place like Dalberg or consulting firms' social impact or emerging markets divisions.

Lets get into it! 

Schools Applying To: Johns Hopkins SAIS MAIR, Georgetown MSFS-Intl Development, Columbia SIPA, Princeton SPIA, Tufts Fletcher 

Undergraduate institution: Tufts University (top IR school)

Undergraduate GPA: 3.35 

Undergraduate Majors: International Relations and Development Economics

GRE Quantitative Score: 160

GRE Verbal Score: 165 

GRE AW Score: 5.5 

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 3.35

Years of Work Experience: 4 by enrolment 

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Nearly 3 years at an international development contractor working in fragile and conflict affected areas. Personally managed a new business pipeline of $500million. Led the capture and design of:

• $70million Economic Growth program in Afghanistan. Did research on high-return value chain development, conducted an assessment of women owned firms alongside the Afghan Women's Chamber of Commerce, connected Afghan small and medium enterprises with business development services...
  • $15million business incubation program in Libya. Research included key informant interviews with notable stakeholders like Libya's ministry of economy and trade
  • $50million small and medium enterprise project in Pakistan. Identified agricultural value chains with best value-add prospect that could in turn increase jobs. Project takes place in the formerly federally administered tribal area that is undergoing integration in to the auspices of the Pakistan federal government. 

In this role I also traveled to Mali to conduct an assessment of water infrastructure governance. 

I have recently switched jobs and am working for a massive global consulting firm specialized in economic growth in emerging markets. I am in a technical role on projects primarily focused on digital transformation of small and medium enterprise development in southeast Asia, sub-Saharan Africa, and Latin America. I liaise with government affairs departments of partners like Google, Mastercard, Visa, and others to improve the digital trade environment in emerging markets. 

Also, I have guest lectured twice for a Georgetown SFS class. 

Quant: Microeconomics (B+), International Econ (A), Development Economics (A-), Adv. Development Economics (A), Calculus I (B+), Principles of Economics (B+)

Strength of SOP:  I am lucky to have lots of practical experience in the international development realm. One of my essays will focus on my "aha" moment while doing research in Mali on the failures of common development approaches that result in millions of dollars in wasted efforts. Also, because the beginning of my career was focused on fragile states (Syria, Yemen, Iraq, Afghanistan...), I will relay my experience facing challenges and major set backs navigating the mismatch caused by soft-power politics of aid donors (USAID, FCDO, UNHCR, etc.) and the true needs of the communities they target. 

Policy papers for SAIS will be on recommendations related to the optimal allocation of major development funds and how they should focus more on urbanization - using both academic sources and personal experience to bolster my position. My policy recommendations will be focused on national-level services in developing economies. 

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): 3 very strong professional recommendations. I could have a professor write one, but the professional recs would be far more personal. One of my recs is technically an adjunct professor, but we work together in a professional capacity not academic.

Languages: English (native), French (professional proficiency)

Questions/Concerns:

My undergrad GPA isn't great, but I am taking the GRE once more to really get the highest scores possible to offset the low GPA. I think my practical work experience and my LORs will tell far more than my undergrad GPA.

How much will it hurt me to have 3 professional recs a no professor/academic recs?

Any other schools you'd recommend for my interest, experience, and stats? 

8 hours ago, DevEconGrad said:

I have a passion for development economics, and really want to hone in my quant skills. I ultimately want to be in international development private consulting at a place like Dalberg or consulting firms' social impact or emerging markets divisions.

Lets get into it! 

Schools Applying To: Johns Hopkins SAIS MAIR, Georgetown MSFS-Intl Development, Columbia SIPA, Princeton SPIA, Tufts Fletcher 

Undergraduate institution: Tufts University (top IR school)

Undergraduate GPA: 3.35 

Undergraduate Majors: International Relations and Development Economics

GRE Quantitative Score: 160

GRE Verbal Score: 165 

GRE AW Score: 5.5 

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 3.35

Years of Work Experience: 4 by enrolment 

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Nearly 3 years at an international development contractor working in fragile and conflict affected areas. Personally managed a new business pipeline of $500million. Led the capture and design of:

• $70million Economic Growth program in Afghanistan. Did research on high-return value chain development, conducted an assessment of women owned firms alongside the Afghan Women's Chamber of Commerce, connected Afghan small and medium enterprises with business development services...
  • $15million business incubation program in Libya. Research included key informant interviews with notable stakeholders like Libya's ministry of economy and trade
  • $50million small and medium enterprise project in Pakistan. Identified agricultural value chains with best value-add prospect that could in turn increase jobs. Project takes place in the formerly federally administered tribal area that is undergoing integration in to the auspices of the Pakistan federal government. 

In this role I also traveled to Mali to conduct an assessment of water infrastructure governance. 

I have recently switched jobs and am working for a massive global consulting firm specialized in economic growth in emerging markets. I am in a technical role on projects primarily focused on digital transformation of small and medium enterprise development in southeast Asia, sub-Saharan Africa, and Latin America. I liaise with government affairs departments of partners like Google, Mastercard, Visa, and others to improve the digital trade environment in emerging markets. 

Also, I have guest lectured twice for a Georgetown SFS class. 

Quant: Microeconomics (B+), International Econ (A), Development Economics (A-), Adv. Development Economics (A), Calculus I (B+), Principles of Economics (B+)

Strength of SOP:  I am lucky to have lots of practical experience in the international development realm. One of my essays will focus on my "aha" moment while doing research in Mali on the failures of common development approaches that result in millions of dollars in wasted efforts. Also, because the beginning of my career was focused on fragile states (Syria, Yemen, Iraq, Afghanistan...), I will relay my experience facing challenges and major set backs navigating the mismatch caused by soft-power politics of aid donors (USAID, FCDO, UNHCR, etc.) and the true needs of the communities they target. 

Policy papers for SAIS will be on recommendations related to the optimal allocation of major development funds and how they should focus more on urbanization - using both academic sources and personal experience to bolster my position. My policy recommendations will be focused on national-level services in developing economies. 

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): 3 very strong professional recommendations. I could have a professor write one, but the professional recs would be far more personal. One of my recs is technically an adjunct professor, but we work together in a professional capacity not academic.

Languages: English (native), French (professional proficiency)

Questions/Concerns:

My undergrad GPA isn't great, but I am taking the GRE once more to really get the highest scores possible to offset the low GPA. I think my practical work experience and my LORs will tell far more than my undergrad GPA.

How much will it hurt me to have 3 professional recs a no professor/academic recs?

Any other schools you'd recommend for my interest, experience, and stats? 

This is one of those things where I recommend you engage each program independently because for IDEV, their measuring sticks for professional experience tend to differ (its a more tight knit community). I just don't know the bias of each program in terms of desired IDEV background. Since you are making a professional argument, it really hinges on how well the Program Director/Manager views your background.

Another thing to think about is maybe you want to do an MBA if you care about the social impact business or investing. Although admissions for that is a very different game. Just something to think about. 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

Really struggling with understanding if my application is a waste of money. 

Demography: South Asian female working in a top development finance organisation in the region with 3 years of FT work ex, 5 overall

School requirements:

MPP- HKS, Princeton, Georgetown, Harris, Blavatnik, Cornell- Dyson school, Goldman

GPA:

Undergrad GPA- Economics and Public Policy - 3.7 from a private liberal arts college in the region

GRE score:

GRE- 164 Q 163 V

Work experience:

1 year of work experience as a teaching assistant for quant subjects (stats, economics, R, other modules) at a top policy school in the region

2 years at a development finance org- pioneering some very innovative dev fin instruments instruments, thought leadership (reports, op-eds) on the same, setting up impact funds, setting up state level economic development program

2 years part time experience as a student research assistant with a centre from Oxford in my uni

6 month volunteer experience with an MP

Internships with a prestigious US based think tank and a UN organisation

Set up a fairly successful digital zine when in college which is still active and functional- for  gen z south asians + diaspora to engage in socio-cultural critique

Language skills:

English, 3 South Asian Lang, Proficient French and Spanish

Quantitative requirements:

1. Econ Major so decent grades in econometrics/math courses except for an unfortunate C in multivariate calc

Was teach grad students (as a TA) stats/econ even though did not have a grad degree myself after undergrad

Research experience in college as part of quant coursework

Working with a faculty member from a top UK university on an upcoming paper using STATA, GIS

Tools- Stata, R, GIS, Octave

Overseas experience (work, study and teaching):

Writing fellowship in a midwestern school (not Iowa lol) while in college

Statement of Purpose:

Focused on unique insights with collaborating with Ppt sector via innovative financing for dev projects + experience in working with govt to set up regulation for such instruments. 

16 hours ago, devfinanceMPP said:

Really struggling with understanding if my application is a waste of money. 

Demography: South Asian female working in a top development finance organisation in the region with 3 years of FT work ex, 5 overall

School requirements:

MPP- HKS, Princeton, Georgetown, Harris, Blavatnik, Cornell- Dyson school, Goldman

GPA:

Undergrad GPA- Economics and Public Policy - 3.7 from a private liberal arts college in the region

GRE score:

GRE- 164 Q 163 V

Work experience:

1 year of work experience as a teaching assistant for quant subjects (stats, economics, R, other modules) at a top policy school in the region

2 years at a development finance org- pioneering some very innovative dev fin instruments instruments, thought leadership (reports, op-eds) on the same, setting up impact funds, setting up state level economic development program

2 years part time experience as a student research assistant with a centre from Oxford in my uni

6 month volunteer experience with an MP

Internships with a prestigious US based think tank and a UN organisation

Set up a fairly successful digital zine when in college which is still active and functional- for  gen z south asians + diaspora to engage in socio-cultural critique

Language skills:

English, 3 South Asian Lang, Proficient French and Spanish

1. Econ Major so decent grades in econometrics/math courses except for an unfortunate C in multivariate calc

Was teach grad students (as a TA) stats/econ even though did not have a grad degree myself after undergrad

Research experience in college as part of quant coursework

Working with a faculty member from a top UK university on an upcoming paper using STATA, GIS

Tools- Stata, R, GIS, Octave

Overseas experience (work, study and teaching):

Writing fellowship in a midwestern school (not Iowa lol) while in college

Statement of Purpose:

Focused on unique insights with collaborating with Ppt sector via innovative financing for dev projects + experience in working with govt to set up regulation for such instruments. 

I am a bit confused. Are you an international or US student? It changes my answer to your question.

Hi guys,

I could not get feedback the first time so I am resubmitting now with some more info. 

I'm a former high school dropout and I worked as an electrician from age 15. Later, I served in the French military within a special force unit. I resumed my studies at Leiden University in the Netherlands after leaving the military. I am now 27 years old and I would like to take advantage of this time spent serving my country to apply directly for terminal degrees in public management. 

Schools Applying To: Harvard MPP, SciencesPo-SIPA (MPA), SAIS (MAIR) 

Undergraduate institution: Leiden University (1st school of International Relations in the NL, 22nd in QS subject ranking) 

Undergraduate GPA: 8.5/10 Dutch Scale, Cum Laude  US equivalent -> GPA 4.0

Undergraduate Major: Political Science: International Relations and Organizations

Extracurricular and Electives:  

• Honors Track: Science & Society
    • Philosophic Considerations: Human Nature and Moral Progress ; Data Science (Python) ; Introduction to Secret Affairs ; Social Science Lab ; Extended Thesis 
  • Overseas experience (work, study and teaching):
    •  Korea (2021)
      • Korea University Winter School: Principles of Finance (A), Strategic Management (A+)
      • Ewha's Women University (Korea) - Korean Language A2 
      • Exchange at Yonsei University (Korea)
    • Spain and Colombia: Learning Spanish 

GRE: 327 - 164V and 163Q + AW: 5

Languages: French, English (C2), Spanish (B2), Korean (A2)  

Intermediate Macroeconomics, Intermediate Microeconomics, Mathematics for Economists, Money and Banking, International Trade, Statistic I,  Statistic II (SPSS and Python), Game Theory, Principle of Economics, International Political Economy, Principles of Finance 

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 0

Years of Work Experience: 6

Describe Relevant Work Experience: I was trained in Mountain Infantry and I later specialized in Human Intelligence and Special Action after passing Special Forces selection tests. I was deployed twice on combat operations in Africa (Sahel region) in a HUMINT and OMLT detachment where we worked on the arrestation of high-value targets, collected and reported intelligence in our area of responsibility, and mentored African troops on shared missions in the 'three-border' region. I also had the opportunity to train a platoon of young recruits for 6 months by the end of my career. 

Strength of SOP:  Moderate, I can tie my previous military experience facing international development and leadership failures in Africa to what I desire to accomplish with a degree in International Policy. However, I am not exactly your typical single-minded guy with a clear thread guiding him since high school, or maybe it is just that I haven't worked that part of my SOP enough yet. 

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): 

1. My Int' Law professor has already accepted to write my letters. I'm pretty close to him from participating in office hours and I obtained outstanding grades in his exams, I do think he will write strongly in my favor.

2. My former commander who supervised our team in Mali. He knows me very well and appreciated my work. He already pulled efforts in that way by getting me a military award for my actions in Africa.

That's about it! Thanks in advance! 

18 hours ago, Grospatapouf said:

Hi guys,

I could not get feedback the first time so I am resubmitting now with some more info. 

I'm a former high school dropout and I worked as an electrician from age 15. Later, I served in the French military within a special force unit. I resumed my studies at Leiden University in the Netherlands after leaving the military. I am now 27 years old and I would like to take advantage of this time spent serving my country to apply directly for terminal degrees in public management. 

Schools Applying To: Harvard MPP, SciencesPo-SIPA (MPA), SAIS (MAIR) 

Undergraduate institution: Leiden University (1st school of International Relations in the NL, 22nd in QS subject ranking) 

Undergraduate GPA: 8.5/10 Dutch Scale, Cum Laude  US equivalent -> GPA 4.0

Undergraduate Major: Political Science: International Relations and Organizations

• Honors Track: Science & Society
    • Philosophic Considerations: Human Nature and Moral Progress ; Data Science (Python) ; Introduction to Secret Affairs ; Social Science Lab ; Extended Thesis 
  • Overseas experience (work, study and teaching):
    •  Korea (2021)
      • Korea University Winter School: Principles of Finance (A), Strategic Management (A+)
      • Ewha's Women University (Korea) - Korean Language A2 
      • Exchange at Yonsei University (Korea)
    • Spain and Colombia: Learning Spanish 

GRE: 327 - 164V and 163Q + AW: 5

Languages: French, English (C2), Spanish (B2), Korean (A2)  

Intermediate Macroeconomics, Intermediate Microeconomics, Mathematics for Economists, Money and Banking, International Trade, Statistic I,  Statistic II (SPSS and Python), Game Theory, Principle of Economics, International Political Economy, Principles of Finance 

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 0

Years of Work Experience: 6

Describe Relevant Work Experience: I was trained in Mountain Infantry and I later specialized in Human Intelligence and Special Action after passing Special Forces selection tests. I was deployed twice on combat operations in Africa (Sahel region) in a HUMINT and OMLT detachment where we worked on the arrestation of high-value targets, collected and reported intelligence in our area of responsibility, and mentored African troops on shared missions in the 'three-border' region. I also had the opportunity to train a platoon of young recruits for 6 months by the end of my career. 

Strength of SOP:  Moderate, I can tie my previous military experience facing international development and leadership failures in Africa to what I desire to accomplish with a degree in International Policy. However, I am not exactly your typical single-minded guy with a clear thread guiding him since high school, or maybe it is just that I haven't worked that part of my SOP enough yet. 

1. My Int' Law professor has already accepted to write my letters. I'm pretty close to him from participating in office hours and I obtained outstanding grades in his exams, I do think he will write strongly in my favor.

2. My former commander who supervised our team in Mali. He knows me very well and appreciated my work. He already pulled efforts in that way by getting me a military award for my actions in Africa.

That's about it! Thanks in advance! 

I think because of how unique you are, as long as you interview well + have a good written story, you should be easy. You have enough quant to be not seen as an academic risk. However, the quickest way to lose someone is use lots of acronyms. I recommend you don't have HUMINT (just say human intelligence) in your applications.

You school choices are a bit confusing to me.

I get Harvard MPP and Princeton (I'm assuming MPA). However, Georgetown - it really matters if you do MPP or MIDP. Oxford's Blatinoviak school is relatively not quant heavy - so that doesn't make sense. Cornell  Dyson also looks odd.

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

On 9/27/2021 at 1:56 AM, devfinanceMPP said:

International Student applying from India

So academically and professionally you are fine. It all comes down to a matter of diversity for the top schools (Harvard MPP and Princeton). As in, how many people come with India experience and focus on India. You aren't necessary competing with the pool as a whole, but rather people of your type. So if the other India students or India focused students are more competitive than you, then you would lose out. Again, I only see this as an issue for Harvard MPP and Princeton.

4 hours ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

I think because of how unique you are, as long as you interview well + have a good written story, you should be easy. You have enough quant to be not seen as an academic risk. However, the quickest way to lose someone is use lots of acronyms. I recommend you don't have HUMINT (just say human intelligence) in your applications.

You school choices are a bit confusing to me.

I get Harvard MPP and Princeton (I'm assuming MPA). However, Georgetown - it really matters if you do MPP or MIDP. Oxford's Blatinoviak school is relatively not quant heavy - so that doesn't make sense. Cornell  Dyson also looks odd.

Thanks for your feedback, Sir. 

For reference, I never considered Cornell and, indeed, I chose to remove Georgetown from the list out of the concern that it would be rather aimed at US citizens, in addition to the absence of MBA partners.

So far, I was advised to limit myself to three programs, which is why I reduced my list to Harvard (reach/LS), SciencePo and JHU (target). Quite frustrated not to file Princeton.

23 minutes ago, Grospatapouf said:

Thanks for your feedback, Sir. 

For reference, I never considered Cornell and, indeed, I chose to remove Georgetown from the list out of the concern that it would be rather aimed at US citizens, in addition to the absence of MBA partners.

So far, I was advised to limit myself to three programs, which is why I reduced my list to Harvard (reach/LS), SciencePo and JHU (target). Quite frustrated not to file Princeton.

So I recommend you revisit Georgetown, but pick the right program - as in pick Georgetown MSFS and not MPP or MIDP. MSFS is heavily international and has extensive amount of MBA collaboration and pairings. 

Depending what you want to do, I would put MSFS over JHU - SAIS (especially since SAIS does next to nothing with their MBA school - Carey - which honestly is new and doesn't have a track record yet).

Also, it doesn't hurt to do 4. 

Oh and apologies about Cornell - got you mixed up with someone else I am advising.

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

@Grospatapouf

While the Small Wars Council has gone quite, if you register and post an introduction there, you may get some suggestions on ways to match your MIL experiences to your academic aspirations.

As you navigate the path of your educational career, you may come across active duty / former /  retired American SOF types. In my experience some can be very particular in how they interpret statements like "I... served within a special force unit." (A former commanding general of USSOCOM was recently dragged into an exchange on Twitter over who is or isn't a Ranger.)

Please spare yourself an avoidable headache by being very clear about your service when you introduce yourself. If you sense confusion or even skepticism, exercise patience and give details so nothing is lost in translation.

I know this is a really long shot. But I'd appreciate any feedback on my application stats below, as well as any advice on what to highlight in my applications. I'm hoping to go into social development and gender in Latin America, more specifically, the gender-optimisation of social programmes (like CCTs), esp. with regards to women's healthcare.

Schools Applying To: Johns Hopkins SAIS MAIR, Georgetown MSFS-International Development, Columbia SIPA, Maybe Yale Jackson? 

Will also apply to Science Po, including the dual degree program with SIPA.

Undergraduate institution: Oxbridge

Undergraduate GPA: First Class Honours 

Undergraduate Majors: Languages, focussing on Latin American Studies 

GRE Quantitative Score: 165

GRE Verbal Score: 163

GRE AW Score: 5.0 

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 2, 3 by enrolment 

Years of Work Experience: 3 full-time by enrolment + internships during my undergraduate.

Describe Relevant Work Experience: 

• Four month graduate political advocacy internship at a women's rights organisation in Mexico.
  • Six months as a teacher of modern languages
  • Have been in my international-facing public service role for a year now. Can't give too many details on this here, but I have taken on a pretty substantial leadership piece here.

Quant: I am lacking in quant as we do not have the same flexible system in the UK. I took a Macroeconomics course from UCLA this summer and got an A+ (99%).

Strength of SOP:  I'm only beginning these now (I know) but am going to take a week or so off to make sure I finish them. My deadlines are mainly late December/early January. 

I'm going to use my SOPs to emphasise that, despite my relatively meagre work experience, there is a nexus between my post-university professional roles.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): 3 very strong. 1 from a top professor at my university, the other two from senior civil servants in the UK.

Languages: English (native), French (fluent), Spanish (fluent), Farsi (fluent speaker, not reading or writing), Portuguese (intermediate).

Questions/Concerns:

I have quite bad anxiety and self-doubt, so I am really struggling with these applications. I am worried about my lack of quant, but I'm hoping my A+ in econ and my fairly decent GRE Quant score will show some promise (?). SAIS alumni have reassured me that there are actually a fair number of people without a background in econ/quant who are on the course.

Secondly, I'm a bit concerned about the fact that I have not so many years of work experience compared to other people, even though I feel confident in what I want to do. 

On 10/4/2021 at 5:58 AM, Lululemons said:

I know this is a really long shot. But I'd appreciate any feedback on my application stats below, as well as any advice on what to highlight in my applications. I'm hoping to go into social development and gender in Latin America, more specifically, the gender-optimisation of social programmes (like CCTs), esp. with regards to women's healthcare.

Schools Applying To: Johns Hopkins SAIS MAIR, Georgetown MSFS-International Development, Columbia SIPA, Maybe Yale Jackson? 

Will also apply to Science Po, including the dual degree program with SIPA.

Undergraduate institution: Oxbridge

Undergraduate GPA: First Class Honours 

Undergraduate Majors: Languages, focussing on Latin American Studies 

GRE Quantitative Score: 165

GRE Verbal Score: 163

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 2, 3 by enrolment 

Years of Work Experience: 3 full-time by enrolment + internships during my undergraduate.

• Four month graduate political advocacy internship at a women's rights organisation in Mexico.
  • Six months as a teacher of modern languages
  • Have been in my international-facing public service role for a year now. Can't give too many details on this here, but I have taken on a pretty substantial leadership piece here.

Quant: I am lacking in quant as we do not have the same flexible system in the UK. I took a Macroeconomics course from UCLA this summer and got an A+ (99%).

Strength of SOP:  I'm only beginning these now (I know) but am going to take a week or so off to make sure I finish them. My deadlines are mainly late December/early January. 

I'm going to use my SOPs to emphasise that, despite my relatively meagre work experience, there is a nexus between my post-university professional roles.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): 3 very strong. 1 from a top professor at my university, the other two from senior civil servants in the UK.

Languages: English (native), French (fluent), Spanish (fluent), Farsi (fluent speaker, not reading or writing), Portuguese (intermediate).

Questions/Concerns:

I have quite bad anxiety and self-doubt, so I am really struggling with these applications. I am worried about my lack of quant, but I'm hoping my A+ in econ and my fairly decent GRE Quant score will show some promise (?). SAIS alumni have reassured me that there are actually a fair number of people without a background in econ/quant who are on the course.

Secondly, I'm a bit concerned about the fact that I have not so many years of work experience compared to other people, even though I feel confident in what I want to do. 

Your years of work experience are only minorly below average (depending on year group). I think the bigger challenge is do you want to go through the pain of learning quant to graduate on top everything else form school and life. I knew someone non-quant who went to SAIS and his marriage struggled because he was in the library Fri to Sun learning quant + all the other academic demands. You might be better off doing MSFS instead. 

If your stories goes well, you may muster beyond your quant challenges and get in after all. Just be aware of what is on the other side of the door. 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

Hey everyone,

I'm very new to this so I'm trying to figure out a gameplan for which MPP/MPA programs I should apply to for the Fall 2021 cycle.  

Schools Applying To (Considering): Harvard MPP, UChicago Harris, Princeton MPP, CMU Heinz MPP, a few others

Undergraduate institution: University of Notre Dame

Undergraduate GPA: 3.58

Undergraduate Major: IT Management, concentration in finance & accounting

• Progressive campaign data analysis organization - worked with several political campaigns and organizations during the 2020 election cycle and helped them with data analysis related to voter persuasion, campaign finance, and issues research
  • Previously volunteered for the associate board of a homeless outreach charity
  • During undergrad, I was on the board of a student nonprofit consulting organization and did quantitative analysis for a marketing consulting firm for ~8 hours/week 

GMAT: 780 - 51 Quant, 47 Verbal (my understanding is that this is roughly equivalent to a 169 Q and 169 V on the GRE, though it is not an exact science of course)

Also curious if only having a GMAT will hurt me here - I haven't had time to take the GRE, and the GMAT is from 2018 when I was considering business school down the road.

Languages: English

Intermediate Macroeconomics, Intermediate Microeconomics, Intermediate Statistics, Corporate Finance/Accounting, Data Analysis in Python, Domestic Politics of Global Policy, various other less relevant courses in political science, philosophy, and finance/accounting 

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 3

Years of Work Experience: 3

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Initially worked in management consulting at one of the top firms in the country, then switched to economic consulting, which is what I've been doing for the last 2 years. At my previous job, my projects consisted of doing light data analysis and creating presentations for business clients. At my current job, most of my time is spent analyzing large datasets in R - I perform statistical and econometric analysis pursuant to complex financial/economic litigation. I also write reports, do research/review academic literature review, and conduct lighter data analysis in Excel. Have worked in housing/labor discrimination, consumer finance, IP protection, and securities.

Strength of SOP:  Moderate, I think I can tell a compelling story about the general refinement of my interests and how my career has progressed to the point that I now see a quantitatively rigorous MPP as a logical next step. But I'm not sure I have anything that truly sparkles here.

1. I intend to get one academic LOR from my economics professor in college. It has been a while since he and I have been in touch, but I think he'll remember me fondly. Generally, I don't think I made strong academic connections in college, so this could be a weak point.

2. My professional LOR should be strong - I have performed well at a highly-quantitative position and have a couple managers who really like me.

3. I'd like to get a LOR from that progressive data organization since I'm close to the executive director, though she is my age (25) so I'm still weighing whether or not that is a good option. I could always get another professional LOR to replace this.

Thank you for reading!

Edited by jbyrne

Hi everyone,

I am an international student from Bulgaria and Syria who is to looking to apply to mostly MPP/MPA programs and one Master of International Policy (but plan to apply to a dual MPP/MIP if I get accepted to that program. I conducted my undergraduate BA in the US, so taking any English proficiency tests for admissions are waived. 

Schools Applying To : USC Price MPP, UCLA Luskin MPP, UC Berkeley Goldman MPP, UChicago Harris MPP, NYU MPA, Columbia MPA, and Stanford MIP (planning to apply dual MPP if I am accepted)

Undergraduate institution: American University (Washington DC), graduated in May 2021

Undergraduate GPA: 3.92 (Major GPA is 3.94) summa cum laude for my institution

Undergraduate Major: International Studies and minor in Economics

Relevant Research from Courses:  I written a lot of research papers and some have been related to policy including some on education policy and economic development policy. 

GRE: Not submitting

Languages: English (fluent), Bulgarian (fluent), Kurdish (spoken at home with family only), Chinese (intermediate)

Macroeconomcis (A), Microeconomics (A-), Intermediate Macroeconomics (A), Intermediate Microeconomics (B+), Basic Statistics (A),  Intro to Finance (A), Applied Econometrics I (B+) 

Years of Work Experience: 1.5

Studying Abroad Experience: Studied abroad at Peking University in China for a semester. 

Relevant Work Experience: 

• interned at a Chinese law firm for a semester (5-6 months)
  • worked at my university's academic support center as an economics tutor for 6 months
  • currently working in a private comapny that involves doing compliance research and work

Strength of SOP:  I think I can make my SOP quite strong as i have a clear interest in eventually going back to Europe and working on economic development/economic impact policy relating to Bulgaria. Ideally I would like to have a career closely related to the European Comission. I also know how to tie my academic and personal experiences to the specific schools and programs I am applying to. The only slight problem might be the lack of work experience. 

All three of my LORs are from professors at my instituion. 2 of them are strong (one from my capstone professor), while 1 is still good but maybe not as strong as the other two recommendations . 

Thank you!

Hi everyone! In my last year of undergrad and applying to a few programs, trying to see how I size up — any feedback is appreciated!

Schools Applying To: Yale YSE MEM, Johns Hopkins SAIS MAIR, Georgetown McCourt MPP, Columbia SIPA MPA, Tufts Fletcher MALD, Brown Watson MPA, Cornell CIPA MPA

Undergraduate institution: US top 30, new england

Undergraduate GPA: 3.4, good upper division (Dean's list first honors) and department honors

Undergraduate Majors: International Studies

GRE Quantitative Score: 167

GRE Verbal Score: 168

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): last year of undergrad

Years of Work Experience: interned every summer of undergrad

- research fellowships (in IR and poli sci) at my university 

- Internship at a reputable international affairs publication, tech/business beat

- Internships at major consulting and insurance companies (in East Asia) in strategy capacities

- Field organizer for congressional campaign

- active volunteer (big brother and through church)

Relevant Coursework: strong emphasis on political economy and energy politics, honors thesis on renewable energy, 1 publication credit

Quant: did not really get to take any quant classes beyond micro/macro principles in undergrad, but goodish GRE quant (89 percentile) and research/internship experiences that involve quant skillsets (stata etc).

Strength of SOP: illustrate how my upbringing (lived on three continents) inspired my interest in sustainable development at the intersection of policy and business. emphasize how I've prepared through academics (clear international policy focus) and work experience (both corporate and service-oriented)

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): thesis adviser (taught at some of these programs), research fellowship supervisor, and supervising editor at internship

Languages: English (fluent), Chinese (fluent), Spanish (reading and writing)

Questions/Concerns:

Some of these programs seem like a reach — I think I have a strong narrative as to why I want to pursue a public policy degree and a clear intended concentration/focus area, but very concerned that my lack of work experience/quant coursework will hurt me. 

17 hours ago, bostonman said:

Hi everyone! In my last year of undergrad and applying to a few programs, trying to see how I size up — any feedback is appreciated!

Schools Applying To: Yale YSE MEM, Johns Hopkins SAIS MAIR, Georgetown McCourt MPP, Columbia SIPA MPA, Tufts Fletcher MALD, Brown Watson MPA, Cornell CIPA MPA

Undergraduate GPA: 3.4, good upper division (Dean's list first honors) and department honors

- Internship at a reputable international affairs publication, tech/business beat

- Internships at major consulting and insurance companies (in East Asia) in strategy capacities

Relevant Coursework: strong emphasis on political economy and energy politics, honors thesis on renewable energy, 1 publication credit

Quant: did not really get to take any quant classes beyond micro/macro principles in undergrad, but goodish GRE quant (89 percentile) and research/internship experiences that involve quant skillsets (stata etc).

Strength of SOP: illustrate how my upbringing (lived on three continents) inspired my interest in sustainable development at the intersection of policy and business. emphasize how I've prepared through academics (clear international policy focus) and work experience (both corporate and service-oriented)

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): thesis adviser (taught at some of these programs), research fellowship supervisor, and supervising editor at internship

Questions/Concerns:

Some of these programs seem like a reach — I think I have a strong narrative as to why I want to pursue a public policy degree and a clear intended concentration/focus area, but very concerned that my lack of work experience/quant coursework will hurt me. 

So clearly you go to either Boston College or Tufts. I don't think you'll have any trouble getting into McCourt MPP, Brown Watson, or Cornell MPA. I don't know Yale YSE MEM well enough. I think Fletcher MALD and JHU SAIS is within reach, but it would still be reach. I think MIGHT be so because this is seen as a less competitive year.

THAT BEING SAID, you should still get some work experience over going to grad school out undergrad. It would be fool hardy not to.

A. Right now the job market is super hot, so it works to your advantage to get the job type and salary that is better for you

B. You can get it but your opportunity for scholarships would be significantly less now vs. 2 - 4 years from now of work experience. 

On 10/16/2021 at 4:50 PM, GradSchoolGrad said:

So clearly you go to either Boston College or Tufts. I don't think you'll have any trouble getting into McCourt MPP, Brown Watson, or Cornell MPA. I don't know Yale YSE MEM well enough. I think Fletcher MALD and JHU SAIS is within reach, but it would still be reach. I think MIGHT be so because this is seen as a less competitive year.

THAT BEING SAID, you should still get some work experience over going to grad school out undergrad. It would be fool hardy not to.

A. Right now the job market is super hot, so it works to your advantage to get the job type and salary that is better for you

B. You can get it but your opportunity for scholarships would be significantly less now vs. 2 - 4 years from now of work experience. 

Very helpful, thanks!!!

On 10/16/2021 at 4:50 PM, GradSchoolGrad said:

one more thing — any other programs that you'd recommend I apply to given my profile/interests?

On 10/15/2021 at 11:03 PM, bostonman said:

Questions/Concerns:

To fill in a gap from GSG's response: I would say YSE might be tough for two reasons. For one, their admits skew older/more experienced than other environmental programs. Second, and relatedly, those who go in with 1 or less year of work exp are almost universally extremely linear candidates who have had lots of internships/other experience in the field they're interested in. Your work experience doesn't seem to be related to energy/sustainability, so you would probably be at a disadvantage. But there's not much harm in applying if you have your heart set on YSE.

from your list, I think SIPA and Tufts sound like great fits for your interest, and you probably have a decent shot at getting in, though like @GradSchoolGradsaid you may be at a disadvantage when it comes to getting scholarships.

2 hours ago, prokem said:

To fill in a gap from GSG's response: I would say YSE might be tough for two reasons. For one, their admits skew older/more experienced than other environmental programs. Second, and relatedly, those who go in with 1 or less year of work exp are almost universally extremely linear candidates who have had lots of internships/other experience in the field they're interested in. Your work experience doesn't seem to be related to energy/sustainability, so you would probably be at a disadvantage. But there's not much harm in applying if you have your heart set on YSE.

from your list, I think SIPA and Tufts sound like great fits for your interest, and you probably have a decent shot at getting in, though like @GradSchoolGradsaid you may be at a disadvantage when it comes to getting scholarships.

thank you for your insight especially re YSE, definitely very helpful to know. Figured I'd just give it a shot since I really like the program (they also waived the application fee this year). Hope you are enjoying it!!