Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Just got the formal email after speaking to my advisor/POI in person about being waitlisted to Rutgers Newark (American Studies). I'm pretty bummed about this one, mainly because I thought I was most likely going to get in, but the reasoning seems to be lack of funding. Still waiting to hear back from most places, but its seeming less and less likely that they will be acceptances.

Also, is anyone else on here the other waitlist? PM me if you are.

Oh boy...saw a Harvard rejection on the results board. I'll be expecting a nice little rejection letter waiting for me in the mailbox today.

holding on tight to my one acceptance...

I thought the Harvard letters went out last week?

Hey guys. Called UCLA for my rejection. They were doing system updates then (I guess this was about an hour ago and they were up to "F" last names), so people still waiting will probably hear later today.

I only have 2 PhD programs to hear from now and I'm pessimistic about both, so starting to way my MA options and planning to apply to other MAs...! I still am waiting from Rutgers and NYU as far as the PhD apps.

thanks guys!

I applied to Oxford for the MPhil, so I will wait on that. I also was encouraged to apply to CUNY's MA in Middle East Studies - it's basically an assured acceptance from a POI and it would be cheap because I live in NYC. Rutgers has a MA in Global History that I would apply to if not admitted to the PhD. But ultimately, I'm thinking the smart thing to do is go to Tel Aviv. I've been aching to live there again and I do think it would strengthen my future applications and help me as a scholar... I would really perfect my Hebrew and learn Arabic for real. So we'll see!

Anyone know about the Rutgers MA in Global History? It's new, I think.. Maybe in it's first year?

Depends on the deadline. I think when I threw together my MA app, it took me about a week to revise the SOP and order the necessary transcripts and LORs for new programs. You've already done the hardest part. Now it's just the annoying part of getting materials there.

Depends on the deadline. I think when I threw together my MA app, it took me about a week to revise the SOP and order the necessary transcripts and LORs for new programs. You've already done the hardest part. Now it's just the annoying part of getting materials there.

Never been known to really "wing it" per se but this could work

I have to claim a Columbia and a Harvard rejection - Harvard by post, columbia and email to check the site.

Got admitted to Exeter early today.

Edited by lureynol

Claiming Columbia rejection: I sent an email asking about my status, they said if you haven't gotten an email yet that amounts to a rejection.

Anyone accepted to Cornell planning on taking another offer?

Yah. I just got an email from Columbia with a link to the rejection letter. I hate that they make it so hard to get to the darn rejection.

Ok, so I just got offered an MA at UMass........ I doubt I'll take it if there isn't any funding and I get a funded offer elsewhere, but it's nice to know that I will have that option if I go down in flames everywhere else. Still, no concrete offer for a fully funded phd has materialized. Sigh........