Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

I applied to Indiana, as well, but for an MA not PhD. Does anyone know when they will get around to going over those applications? The deadline was the same day.

Edited by GloFish

Has anyone else heard anything from University of Chicago?

Not a peep.

I can't remember what sub-field I eventually classified myself as, however. I'm also an R alphabetically.

Edited by lureynol

And I just got rejected from my top choice, Illinois. Great.

Me too =( This is the worst day I've had in a long while. My advisors are all upset too...they thought I would get in for sure, especially since two of them went to Illinois and know my POI personally. Oh well.

...and I don't even have a puppy :'(

Edited by jrah822

It's so hard to tell yourself that it's NOT your application... but it's true. We are not always rational about this sort of thing.

AFB - keep the faith. You have plenty of places that you're still waiting to hear from.

AFB- Two years ago, we had a poster who was receiving a string of rejections. S/he ended up on a waitlist and that was just IT. About a few days before the April 15th deadline, s/he finally got off the watilist! That's what keeping faith is about.

(*shakes fist* Indiana... you could've done that to me both times, ya know? Huge loss now, man.)

Congrats and condolences to everyone today who has received a decision!

Congrats!

Also, I just refreshed and got this: "[#2001] Sorry, the server is too busy to handle your request, please try again in a moment"

Congratulations gentlemen (and ladies), we broke the Grad Cafe.

Edited by lureynol

Thank you! Which one did you apply for?

Russian and Eastern European History. The annoying part is that the FLAS office just contacted me last week to say that they had been in touch with the department and wanted another LOR addressing language abilities.

I must admit...I'm feeling like quite the loser right now seeing as I have two rejections and no acceptances... :( Yes, yes I will take my own advice and try again (as was always planned)...but still. :(

don't know if you're a sports fan or not, buts lots of times, a team will start off losing by 3-4 runs after 2 innings (baseball), 10-13 points after a quarter (football or basketball) and end dominating the rest of the game and winning easily...

...there are many other parallels that paint the same picture (such as bombing the first assigment and finishing a class with a 94%)...

the point: you have way too many apps still in play to get defeatist...

...by the time you blink you will be choosing between your 3-4 acceptances ("do I prefer the quaintness and seasonal changes of Seattle or the sunshine and bustle of SoCal?")...

you'll see...

I got my Illinois rejection- I would not have gone there over UW-M, but I dont have confirmaiton of funding at UW either...

so now I have one as-of-yet unfunded admit, one official rejection, one informal 2nd hand-hand rejection (My MA advisor's contact at UNC said I'm a no-go b/c there is no suitable advisor) and one passive rejection (No interview at Yale)...

On the whole, I'm not feelin' so great about things at the moment...

...nows a good time to check out for a bit- I'm takin' a nap!

I haven't posted yet on the results survey, but I was admitted to Chicago today. (yayy!!!!) Email from POI informed me, don't know about the others. Five years funded but no further details. It's pretty much my first choice so I'm really stoked. Haven't heard from anywhere else yet, but obviously happy with what I have.

If it helps to know, I'm an Americanist focusing on the early-twentieth century and cultural and gender history. Also, congrats and condolences all around. It's an absolutely insane admissions process, I wish the best for everyone.