Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

They asked if I'd accepted an offer from elsewhere yet, and said they've narrowed the pool down to a "long short list." They also got in touch because one of my recommenders wasn't able to successfully upload his letter using their system - I suspect that was the initial reason.

Okay. When did they send that email?

As a little President's Day fun I am hoping to help take some people's mind of waiting for results. Thus, I pose this topical question, Who was your favorite president and why. I does not have to be a serious answer, if you liked a president because he was a alcoholic, that is fine in my book. Since we are all political scientists, or soon to be political scientists, I thought this would be a appropriate release, or at least I hope so.

Okay. When did they send that email?

Earlier today - I received it around 4:15pm EST.

And icedance - I only have secondhand information, but 2 sources have now posted on this thread that they contacted the division of graduate studies and were told that all offers and waitlist offers had been made.

saltlakecity2012, thank you~~

I emailed DGS on Thu and at that moment, no any decision made yet. Then so many acceptance poped out yesterday. I did not want to bother them any more.

Thanks!

At least, you have so many nice choices. Congratulations!

Earlier today - I received it around 4:15pm EST.

And icedance - I only have secondhand information, but 2 sources have now posted on this thread that they contacted the division of graduate studies and were told that all offers and waitlist offers had been made.

As a little President's Day fun I am hoping to help take some people's mind of waiting for results. Thus, I pose this topical question, Who was your favorite president and why. I does not have to be a serious answer, if you liked a president because he was a alcoholic, that is fine in my book. Since we are all political scientists, or soon to be political scientists, I thought this would be a appropriate release, or at least I hope so.

I like Taft. He scored an incredible 27 on the 18th hole at Kebo Valley Golf Club in Bar Harbour, Maine. There is a plaque on the tee-box to commemorate his terrible play.

saltlakecity2012, thank you~~

I emailed DGS on Thu and at that moment, no any decision made yet. Then so many acceptance poped out yesterday. I did not want to bother them any more.

Thanks!

At least, you have so many nice choices. Congratulations!

Thank you very much :) I'm really honored and grateful, and kind of shocked still!

So I got in somewhere and I'm visiting in March and their website has a "placement" page, but the problem is that it isn't very specific, in fact it's quite opaque. So first of all, is it cool if I ask for a more detailed placement record during the visit?

Second, how do I not look like a douche doing it??

They *know* this is a concern for students. Just ask about it politely, they'll expect this kind of question. If you're really uncomfortable asking a professor, ask a current grad student maybe, but I doubt this will insult anyone.

Theodore Roosevelt. His vision for the country was so ahead of its time - in my opinion, "The New Nationalism" was one of the best speeches ever given by anyone. Not to mention what a total badass he was.

I like Taft. He scored an incredible 27 on the 18th hole at Kebo Valley Golf Club in Bar Harbour, Maine. There is a plaque on the tee-box to commemorate his terrible play.

Ironically my favorite president is another golfer, Eisenhower, but he actually did pretty well; I mean there is a golf course named after him he must have been decent.

Theodore Roosevelt. His vision for the country was so ahead of its time - in my opinion, "The New Nationalism" was one of the best speeches ever given by anyone. Not to mention what a total badass he was.

My favorite is TJ. Because he could sure play the violin ;-) --

My favorite is Franklin Pierce. Because (1) I wrote a report about him in fifth grade that was like 10 pages long (I think we were supposed to write like 3?) and (2) he's part of the Fillmore-Pierce-Buchanan trifecta of terrible/forgettable pre-Civil War presidents. In fact, being the middle of the three and obviously outclassed in terribleness by Buchanan, I'd actually argue he's the most forgettable of the three and is probably in the running for most forgettable presidents ever. Also the Kansas-Nebraska act was a big deal during his presidency, and 10yo me was from Nebraska and very impressed that anything important might have happened here that didn't involve covered wagons.

For me it's a close call, but I'd tentatively put W slightly ahead of Truman and Clinton.

Main reason? Two great wars and the audacity to lead, haha

So sad about Columbia and Yale. I've been absolutely pounded by this cycle, and am quite sad. So happy for everyone who has gotten into at least one PhD this season. Good luck to all. I will probably leave the board for a while and collect my thoughts.

Edited by balledematch

So sad about Columbia and Yale. I've been absolutely pounded by this cycle, and am quite sad. So happy for everyone who has gotten into at least one PhD this season. Good luck to all. I will probably leave the board for a while and collect my thoughts.

At least 3 schools on your list are not done yet, why leaving?

Well you got into a masters program that can help if you decide to reapply(also you could possibly spread your applications a little bit more?). Anyway, I hope you still get good news.

Gotta go with George Washington forever. I have a bust of him that I got at Mount Vernon, and I am not ashamed of its awesomness. All about the setting of non-monarchical precedents and that farewell address. :D

Also a more recent fan of Silent Cal, who gets very little love. His famous words on persistence should be the mantra for every grad school applicant.