Applying for Fall 2012

comp12

I posted the Pitts admit. Certainly exciting, although it's a bit disconcerting that they haven't announced their new faculty member in my area of specializaiton (post-1945). It does feel nice to finally get an admit somewhere, though...

Congrats to the IU, Penn, and Pittsburgh admits! :)

Thanks! I am experiencing less email checking anxiety now. :) I thought that I would hear from the others by now, but something tells me that IU will be the best offer.

How many grads are going to try to change their state of residence and get in-state tuition? I know that there are a lot of complicated rules for undergrads who try to do this, but we are older and not dependent on parents... Thoughts?

Got a wait list letter from Harvard today, dated 2/15. I applied for ethno, though, so I don't know if it means anything for anyone else here.

I would think this would be fairly significant, as I applied to Harvard for ethno as well and haven't heard anything from them yet. But it seems like wait-lists and rejects get sent by mail, so I'll be dreading my mailbox now, as more than likely I'll receive a reject.

But some logic notes:

- Ethno, Musicology, and Theory rejections are received at around the same time, much like wait-lists; therefore, I can assume that the three sectors make their selections at the same time

- There are other strong applicants on this forum who have applied to Harvard. They have yet to hear anything. This can lead us to believe:

1) There will be a Harvard massacre, much like a Princeton one.

2) The has been a Harvard wait-list flood, which we will hear about today or tomorrow.

3) Perhaps Harvard will notify acceptances soon.

Then again, I'm probably reading into this too much for my liking. I've heard varying opinions about the Ethno department; and Harvard isn't even in my top three choices, whereas I've been accepted to 2/3 so far.

Edited by eum-ag

Advice needed: If it's been a few weeks since an interview, is it inappropriate to email the head of the department for an update?

I don't think that's inappropriate, but if you are worried, perhaps you could email the Director of Graduate Studies instead?

Have you already had email contact with the head of the department? If so, then I think it's fine to email and ask for an update.

To my surprise, I did not receive the dreaded thin envelope from Harvard. Nor will I receive it today, since my school's mailroom already sorted out today's mail. Though I'm not yet convinced that I was spared from the massacre. So I'm going to continually dread my mailbox for the next month (which is quite sad as my mailbox is usually a happy place because the only mail I ever get is cookies or other food-related care packages).

Edited by eum-ag

Hello!

I just hit panicky about my applications and started searching online for "University of Maryland graduate acceptance letters" and "Music performance letters acceptance UMD oh god please" and "ahhhhhhhhhh I think I'm going to be sick please please please give me something...UMD" which led me here amongst the anxious.

I got my tax return today and was disappointed that it wasn't a letter. I think I'm going to have a heart attack.

To my surprise, I did not receive the dreaded thin envelope from Harvard. Nor will I receive it today, since my school's mailroom already sorted out today's mail. Though I'm not yet convinced that I was spared from the massacre. So I'm going to continually dread my mailbox for the next month (which is quite sad as my mailbox is usually a happy place because the only mail I ever get is cookies or other food-related care packages).

I wish there were cookies in my mailbox!! \jealous

But a couple days ago I did get the new Margo Lanagan novel in my mailbox, which is almost as good as cookies.