Applying for Fall 2012

comp12

Hey Dharma and snes, I don't know how the other departments managed this, but UCLA definitely did not fly me out to interview with them on 27 Jan. I paid for the trip myself and still haven't heard anything. This is for composition, though, so who knows? Hooray for a Stony Brook rejection first thing Saturday morning!

Hey Dharma and snes, I don't know how the other departments managed this, but UCLA definitely did not fly me out to interview with them on 27 Jan. I paid for the trip myself and still haven't heard anything. This is for composition, though, so who knows? Hooray for a Stony Brook rejection first thing Saturday morning!

Wow, you had to pay yourself? No reimbursement at all???? Man, that doesn't bode well for funding.

I'll agree with that statement, snes. When I talked to a professor at UCLA before I applied to schools, they said they were really uncertain what their funding would be like this upcoming year. So with a sign like that, it may not be good. Which is a shame, as it's really a good school (though obviously I'm predicting a rejection, as there is an ethno admit and it's not me).

For composers, it's actually not that uncommon to have to foot the bill for these things yourselves. All of the major conservatories hold "Audition Weeks" whereby students have to pay out of pocket for lodging, meals, etc., sometimes for more than 2-3 days. Some people did interview at UCLA via Skype, but my impression was that most composers called in (including potential Masters students) simply bit the bullet and flew out for the weekend.

Hey everyone! Did anybody apply to UT@Austin in general or for Theory PhD? I haven't heard anything from any of the schools I applied to except my own school here in Canada - the waiting game is no longer fun!!

Finally got my Columbia interview notification! I was also woken up by firefighters stomping into my apartment because of a fire next door, so it's been an interesting day already...

Edited by purpledinosaur

Hey everyone! Did anybody apply to UT@Austin in general or for Theory PhD? I haven't heard anything from any of the schools I applied to except my own school here in Canada - the waiting game is no longer fun!!

Yep, applied there for theory but my UT app wasn't my best (hadn't finished my thesis yet / the UT application system is confusing as hell) so I've sorta been writing that one off. Haven't heard back though, if that makes you feel any better.

Hi all!

I'm glad to know that I'm not alone in the impatient waiting-by-mailbox-and-email-inbox game.

Has anyone heard back from Maryland about ethnomusicology by chance? I had a phone interview about a month ago and haven't had any word since then.