Applying for Fall 2012

comp12

Columbia purportedly already met to finalize admissions decisions, and they are still interviewing people AND asking for interviews?

UCLA is finally rejecting people via the website, but mine says nothing?

Duke = ????????????????????????????

Yale = ?????????????????

Me = just got this message when I tried to post: "You have posted a message with more emoticons than this community allows. Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message." Well sorry for emoting.

Did anyone apply to Oxford or other UK universities for musicology?

I did! I'm a bit confused as to where my application stands at the moment, but there's definitely been some promising developments. How about you? Did you interview yet?

edit: I'm also extremely interested in hearing from the UCLA reject. Where on the website did you find out you were rejected?

Edited by bddurham

edit: I'm also extremely interested in hearing from the UCLA reject. Where on the website did you find out you were rejected?

The reject wasn't me, but here's the link for UCLA admission decisions: https://www.gradadmi...ssionStatus.asp

There has been already one UCLA ethno admit, so I highly doubt I would get in. But alas, mine still says nothing. Also, I saw a Chicago reject, yet no word for me yet. As far as I've seen, no Ethno related results have been put out yet, rejects or otherwise, which is kind against tradition. Anyway, I'm not hopeful for either, but the process still puts butterflies in my stomach.

Edited by eum-ag

I perhaps just misunderstood what they meant by "we're meeting on Tuesday [yesterday], and then you should know by mid-march."

Maybe those who interviewed prior to tuesday were just COMPLETE DISAPPOINTMENTS, lol.

In past years, they have interviewed some people and just downright accepted others (in the same season).

Yep, applied there for theory but my UT app wasn't my best (hadn't finished my thesis yet / the UT application system is confusing as hell) so I've sorta been writing that one off. Haven't heard back though, if that makes you feel any better.

Thanks!! It's nice to know that I'm not the only one out there still waiting!

Wow. Does everyone feel this way? I'm so sorry if I'm being horrible. I'll delete my account and my posts if I'm showing off or offending people.

You're Canadian: it's almost scientifically impossible for Canadians to be offensive.

And seriously -- this is sort of a competitive business filled with a lot of talented people. If someone can't deal with the fact that other people are more successful, it's going to be real tough gig for them.

yay, drama on the music thread. We've arrived!

So I'm assuming it was you purpledino that got an acceptance call from columbia? Congratulations!

No word from Columbia for me, despite having been interviewed, so hopefully it's a waitlist and not a complete rejection (that would be sort of a blow).

things i've heard:

UCLA: I was told my Bob Fink last week that they are having their meeting and I should hear in about 2 weeks, aka about a week from today (for musicology).

Columbia: I did not aplpy, but my friend got a call asking if he was still interested. But no formal offer.

Just in general: Different universities work differently re: admissions. Some, like (as far as I know) Chicago, accept their first round, see if they accept the offer, then work down a list, not rejecting people till they have the numbers they want. Other schools, like Berkeley, pick who they want (this year it was 5 acceptances), then reject the rest. If only 3 accept the offer, so be it, they don't let anyone else in.

I did! I'm a bit confused as to where my application stands at the moment, but there's definitely been some promising developments. How about you? Did you interview yet?

I did interview at Oxford a few weeks ago. I was told we wouldn't hear until mid-late March on a decision. But funding for Americans is nearly impossible unless you have a 4.0 from Harvard and are curing cancer. So we'll see.

I did interview at Oxford a few weeks ago. I was told we wouldn't hear until mid-late March on a decision. But funding for Americans is nearly impossible unless you have a 4.0 from Harvard and are curing cancer. So we'll see.

Curing cancer wasn't one of your undergrad requirements? Figured that was standard core curriculum by now.

At MY school, music theory 101 ended with a basic lesson on the 5 standard wave frequencies for selectively targeting malignant tumors. And if you play them langsam, the cancer can only spread langsam.

Joking aside, I WISH. F**k cancer.

I got an email telling me to check their website last week, which let me know I was wait listed. Ethno, though. So guess that's not too much help!

Ok, cool, thanks! They aren't too behind this year; according to the results survey, last year they sent out results around this time and, considering that they aren't doing interviews this year, maybe they will just send out all their results at approximately the same time.

THEY DID IT AGAIN.

Got an email from Yale today! Yale sent me another "automated response" to the query I sent Yale in December. Telling me they weren't going to answer the question that hasn't been relevant for three months (and that they didn't answer the last time they sent me an "automated response.") No news on, you know, aaactually getting into grad school.

I swear one of their grad students has to just be intentionally screwing with me.