Applying for Fall 2012

comp12

Duke sent me an email that began with "We were pleased..." and ended with "LOL JK click here for your rejection letter!"

Something like that. :P

I actually would prefer that my rejection letter came in the form of a lolcat. Hope you're listening, Yale -- you've waited long enough, get on it.

Nothing from Yale, UCLA, or NYU. But I'm not even checking anymore because they almost have to be rejections, at this point. I'm lucky enough to have 4 (maybe 5) great programs to choose from, so I've spent most of my energies getting info and perspective for this decision, which is proving reaaaaaaaaaally tough.

Karajan, you can't leave, because I want to know where you decide to go!

Nothing from Yale, UCLA, or NYU. But I'm not even checking anymore because they almost have to be rejections, at this point. I'm lucky enough to have 4 (maybe 5) great programs to choose from, so I've spent most of my energies getting info and perspective for this decision, which is proving reaaaaaaaaaally tough.

Karajan, you can't leave, because I want to know where you decide to go!

I'll let you know, sneeze!

So I'm going to pop in with another anxious question...

What is the etiquette regarding contacting schools that you are on the wait list for? I've been offered a spot at one of my top choices (actually, probably my top choice but I'm an indecisive person ;) ) but I'm wait listed at a few other great programs and want to make sure I know all my options before I commit. Of course, if these schools aren't going to their wait lists (or I'm at the very bottom) I don't want to be waiting until midnight on April 15 before finally committing...

me, haven't got anything yet.

So I actually called them last week and was told that all decisions have been made. Apparently the letters are just being held by the graduate school until the relevant deans are able to provide final approval. The lady at the grad school also told me to expect a notification either today or tomorrow...

Do you have any alternate plans if MEME doesn't work out? I haven't really found any other doctoral programs that fit the bill. The closest thing is probably some of the MFA programs out on the west coast.

Hello everyone!

Congratulations to those of you who were accepted! :)

I applied for MA in Historical Musicology at UConn. Does anyone know if it is usual to take this long to hear from them? I know that they had a set back with the admission process this year because they changed to online application and the system crashed. I was invited for an on-campus interview on March, 1st and I am getting a bit anxious. I applied last year for Ph.D to Yale, Columbia and NUY and was rejected. :( I hope this wait does not mean rejection again... :unsure:

Good luck to everyone.

Edited by Eternal Student

Finally rejected by Yale! Sheesh, took them long enough. I'm assuming I've been rejected by Michigan too, but I still haven't heard anything from them. Have people heard from Michigan? If so, how did they find out?

Yessssss. Finally got my Yale rejection as well, it's nice to have closure. Time to get my free Masters at the University of Texas and boost my resume for PhD application season...

Yessssss. Finally got my Yale rejection as well, it's nice to have closure. Time to get my free Masters at the University of Texas and boost my resume for PhD application season...

Free master's? Sweet!!

Free master's? Sweet!!

Yuuup. Pretty excited. I mean, UT isn't an elite-elite school, but they're pretty good from what I hear. I need to do a better job applying when I get around to PhDs though -- sending rushed applications to 3 schools = not a good plan. I feel lucky to have gotten a good offer from one of em.

I need to do a better job applying when I get around to PhDs though -- sending rushed applications to 3 schools = not a good plan. I feel lucky to have gotten a good offer from one of em.

Haha, sounds like me last year, except my master's was faaaaaaaaaar from free so I didn't do it. HENCE my 12 apps this year!

So I actually called them last week and was told that all decisions have been made. Apparently the letters are just being held by the graduate school until the relevant deans are able to provide final approval. The lady at the grad school also told me to expect a notification either today or tomorrow...

Do you have any alternate plans if MEME doesn't work out? I haven't really found any other doctoral programs that fit the bill. The closest thing is probably some of the MFA programs out on the west coast.

yeah, got Brown's rej this morning. MEME is a little different from composition, so that's not a suprise for me. I think I will attend NYU.

How about you?

acaba: I'm sorry about the rejection from Steinhardt, if it's any consolation NYU is only taking 2 out of 120 applicants through the entire music department. Better chance at winning the lottery!

Actually it was for MM Scoring For Film. Is it an awkward thing to ask for a feedback or what was missing on my portfolio? Because I sent an e-mail 3 days ago and still haven't received any response.

Hi guys! I've been stalking this forum for maybe a few months but never posted before now.

I applied for the MA Musicology programmes at University of Calgary and York University. I've been accepted to Calgary with some funding and am yet to hear from York. (They pushed their deadline so that it came about a month after Calgary's) My research generally focuses on the development of Caribbean (English and Spanish speaking) music from pre-emancipation days all the way to popular music today. Indeed, I'm hoping to learn more about other countries (Western and otherwise) and their popular music forms, and how they can be compared.

Does anyone know which of these departments would be a better fit for my research interests? Which would be more likely to look at a wide variety of countries, and which would put as much emphasis on popular music as it does on other areas?

I hope this post makes sense and that someone can give me some feedback. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...