MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

What does it mean when a professor from the interview committee writes to tell you that the comittee is "recommending" you for admission to their program but that the decision has to come from the Graduate Coordinator's office? "Official notices of acceptance have to come from the graduate coordinators office, and that office also has to approve our recommendation after they review your file."

Does that mean the office just has to double check my files with my undergrad school, etc? And then I'm in? Or does it mean, the jury is still out?

So confused!

Hello Everyone and Happy VDay!

Following this forum has been wonderfully comforting, though I've only just joined... Good luck to everyone!! I'm starting to get nervous that I haven't heard from some of the schools (MICA, SAIC, UCLA) that others seem to be hearing back from already.....

Following this forum has been wonderfully comforting, though I've only just joined... Good luck to everyone!! I'm starting to get nervous that I haven't heard from some of the schools (MICA, SAIC, UCLA) that others seem to be hearing back from already.....

Hi! Thanks for participating, congrats for cranbrook and tyler and good luck to you! :)

Welcome!

MICA hasn’t started to notify applicants in certain programs yet. Which program have you applied for?

Edited by outline

Thank you! That's a relief to hear... god this forum has been so helpful throughout the application process...

@MICA I applied to Hoffberger (painting) and Mt. Royal (interdisciplinary)

I see! It seems that some applicants have been invited to interview by Mount Royal School of Art and Hoffberger School of Painting.

I see! It seems that some applicants have been invited to interview by Mount Royal School of Art and Hoffberger School of Painting.

Yes I am aware... I'm still hoping that more will be invited. I can assume if I haven't heard anything by mid next week it doesn't look good for my chances...

Best of luck to you!

Just wondering for personal reasons. I know, though, that they're into candidate who have applied at least once before, as it shows commitment to the program. Good luck!

I think ANY school would be happy to see somebody apply again if they had been rejected before...but, I highly doubt schools willy-nilly reject people and then expect the person to apply again the next year.

I have heard of this kind of thing said elsewhere, and it seems like one of those urban tales: "Oh, we reject people the first time and we know they'll apply again because we know they want to go here so badly". That would be a foolish and easy way to lose good candidates.

It's obviously not the only thing they look at, but in a situation where, say, two candidates may be very similar, it's something that does. I was wait listed there last year, and when a friend of mine in the program asked a professor why I didn't get in, he essentially said that there were others who had applied previously - sort of an extended wait list type of thing is more what I mean? Like "ah, yes, this person again - I remember this work from last year and am glad to see it again/how it's evolved/etc."

I think ANY school would be happy to see somebody apply again if they had been rejected before...but, I highly doubt schools willy-nilly reject people and then expect the person to apply again the next year.

I have heard of this kind of thing said elsewhere, and it seems like one of those urban tales: "Oh, we reject people the first time and we know they'll apply again because we know they want to go here so badly". That would be a foolish and easy way to lose good candidates.

Anyone who has been interviewed by calarts before??

I am so nervous right now =(

I interviewed there last year. The interviews are way short. like 20 minutes. they ask you the basics: talk about one of your peices and ask you a little bit about yourself. They interview about 25, about 20 will get offers the rest get waitlised. And god help you if you get Alan Sekula on your panel. That man has no joy in his heart.

Good luck, but rest assured your're already on a very short list.

PM me and I can give you more details, I don't want to say anything that would give me away.

Just got home from a 1.5 week journey across the country. Wonderful trip! Rejected from Yale while I was at Mardi Gras, so you can imagine how that made the night go. In the nearly two weeks of reflection I have had I realized that my paintings just aren't where they need to be - not for school, but for myself. Unfortunately I think I was just trying to do too much in too little time and force new work I wasn't sure of yet. Oh well, we will see what happens.

It's obviously not the only thing they look at, but in a situation where, say, two candidates may be very similar, it's something that does. I was wait listed there last year, and when a friend of mine in the program asked a professor why I didn't get in, he essentially said that there were others who had applied previously - sort of an extended wait list type of thing is more what I mean? Like "ah, yes, this person again - I remember this work from last year and am glad to see it again/how it's evolved/etc."

Gotcha. That completely makes sense.