MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Just received an email from CCA and I was accepted there as well!! Wow, humbled again...

i got my acceptance email from CCA today :)

Yes they did, I'm pretty sure I will be going :) it's very exciting. The cost of tuition is the only thing I'm a little worried about.

Congrats, you guys! I will try to attend the open house if I can.

It looks like some of us have similar groups of schools that we applied to :)

On 3/5/2012 at 10:09 PM, conkie said:

did anyone goto the washu open house today? Id love to hear about it, thanks !

conkie,

I went to WashU's open house (I'm still in St. Louis right now) and it was really wonderful. Fantastic program, lots of impressive resources, fabulous faculty and students, and good studio spaces. Send me a personal message if you want specific details :)

Come on BU! Information! I need it!

Anyone heard anything from them regarding interviews?

BU doesn't do interviews. I was rejected last week so you're probably in the running.

Hi guys, these are really terrific questions, but I am certainly not the best person to answer them. Definitely email the departments and see what they say. The Financial Aid people are the best shot, and start by searching their sites for "International Applicants" to see if there is direct contact info...best of luck! (From what I have seen, international funding is rare outside of PhD-level research academia. BUT, I have heard of some schools funding international students well...I believe UCSD, where I currently do my undergrad, does 1 or so a year...the bigger research institutions such as state-funded universities are the best bet on this. But, find the schools you like and contact them for sure)

Thank you! I was just wondering because I know some guys who have obtained very good offers from different schools. Not sure if a certain policy exists on this case.

PSA from a long time lurker:

I applied to four schools, recieved a soft rejection from one, but heard nothing from the other three. I saw on these forums that applicants had already heard back from these other schools, at least for interviews (from UCLA, USC, and CCA) - and prepared myself for what I assumed to be inevitable rejection. To the point that I missed the fafsa deadline for my state. So incredibly, pathetically stupid. Today, I checked my online status for CCA and saw that I am admitted. Obviously, I'm kicking myself, and filling out the necessary forms.

I'm not sure what the lesson is in this - but the part that propelled me to comment is that none of us really know what's going to happen until we hear back directly from the schools to which we've applied. Emotions run high while waiting to hear these big decisions - but we should all strive to be level headed and not cave to the temptation of seeing the results that filter in on this forum as a talisman to our own fates in this process. Real people are out there looking over our applications, and real people are not perfectly predictable. Apparently, myself included. I don't know why I sabotauged myself - I can't know what will happen with the other schools. Not yet. Not until I've heard from them.

I'm not sure what the lesson is in this - but the part that propelled me to comment is that none of us really know what's going to happen until we hear back directly from the schools to which we've applied. Emotions run high while waiting to hear these big decisions - but we should all strive to be level headed and not cave to the temptation of seeing the results that filter in on this forum as a talisman to our own fates in this process. Real people are out there looking over our applications, and real people are not perfectly predictable. Apparently, myself included. I don't know why I sabotauged myself - I can't know what will happen with the other schools. Not yet. Not until I've heard from them.

Thanks osprey, for sharing with us! Cogratulations for CCA! I think you are right that until you receive the actual rejection, you cant know for sure. Although i still feel that in many cases knowing whats going on gives us some indication.

I hope everything works out for you!

Congrats! Quick question--where in the application does it indicate your admissions status? Was this in the "message center"?

I applied to four schools, recieved a soft rejection from one, but heard nothing from the other three. I saw on these forums that applicants had already heard back from these other schools, at least for interviews (from UCLA, USC, and CCA) - and prepared myself for what I assumed to be inevitable rejection. To the point that I missed the fafsa deadline for my state. So incredibly, pathetically stupid. Today, I checked my online status for CCA and saw that I am admitted. Obviously, I'm kicking myself, and filling out the necessary forms.

Alright, revealing the depth of my lurking here - by logging into the webadvisor (through their website, using cca+the ID number at the bottom of your correspondence with the school), you can check on your admission status. Mine says "congratulations - admitted", effective as of 3/2/11. The message center doesn't say anything yet, neither have I recieved an e-mail, yet. So - maybe I'm prematurely assuming things again, and it's a mistake?

I hope not, but I suppose if so, I'd know for good to not count my chickens before they hatch. Good luck, and best wishes!

Alright, revealing the depth of my lurking here - by logging into the webadvisor (through their website, using cca+the ID number at the bottom of your correspondence with the school), you can check on your admission status. Mine says "congratulations - admitted", effective as of 3/2/11. The message center doesn't say anything yet, neither have I recieved an e-mail, yet. So - maybe I'm prematurely assuming things again, and it's a mistake?

I hope not, but I suppose if so, I'd know for good to not count my chickens before they hatch. Good luck, and best wishes!

that's what my web advisor said on 3/2/2012 but i didn't get my email until yesterday afternoon, and i saw someone else got their email on Sunday. I think they are running a little slow on getting all of the emails out, as it comes from the head of your department. So I'm sure you are truly accepted :) Congrats!

Wisconsin sounds like a great program...go for it if the money is right!

I am excited for UW Madison.. but the waiting to hear about funding plus the waitlist from UO and Cornell is putting me in a frenzy.

Congrats, you guys! I will try to attend the open house if I can.

It looks like some of us have similar groups of schools that we applied to :)

same here.. I'll definitely be there for the open house... Anyone going from southern Cal?

Anybody knows when Columbia will possibly email/mail out decisions? When did they release results last year?? Thx guys! Good luck to all of you!

Very end of march last year...

I am excited for UW Madison.. but the waiting to hear about funding plus the waitlist from UO and Cornell is putting me in a frenzy.

I feel you on the UO wait. And think, we may have this whole month to go based on what I've read previously.

Have you visited UW Madison? They have a great department and wonderful facilities and it's a pretty cheap city to live in - close to Chicago and not to far from Minneapolis/St Paul if you're craving a city :)

Does anybody know what happened to Starling? He was a frequent poster for a while, but lately has dropped completely out of sight. I'm wondering how his admissions process is turning out.

Heads up, I just received an acceptance to BU's MFA painting program via e-mail earlier this afternoon. They said they'll be sending a letter with more detailed information soon. Best of luck.

Congrats! that is great news! Time to celebrate with some drinks. I received acceptance from MCAD yesterday, still anxiously awaiting news from MassArt. Best of luck everyone. This week is going to be full of answers, I can feel it.

Does anyone have any first hand experience of the MFA program at MCAD? I visited the school and the facilities were nice and the mentor-based approach and graduate teaching seminar seems desirable. Just wandering if anyone knows anything else about their program? I know it's not super selective or as prestigious as some schools but I'm really excited I got in!

Edited by leetimko

Congrats as well! Great job!

Thanks! And same back to you! Now we just need MassArt to make some decisions...

susanbanthony - did they offer you any scholarship $$? they made a point of it to note in my letter that they "unfortunately" can't offer me any scholarships. booo.