MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Plus if you do receive multiple offers, you will have more leverage than most prospective students.

Man I wish I had applied to more Universities in order to get more leverage financially (maybe it's just a psychological mind game that's only inside my head which render me plainly inefficient today... those exhibition proposal ain't filling themselves magically) :( ... I guess there's always next year for this pavlovian dance! It does feel like a dating game where one raise his attractiveness through a speculatary bubble involving universities acceptance.

Gettiing a BFA or an MFA or anything related to art only show your commitment to certain aspect to the art world... and heck 20 years of works IS commitment. I've known peoples with BFA who are not even producing any works anymore or even try to exhibit... which I find sad.

Is there anyone out there applying who never got a BFA?

It's interesting what Mr. Sad was saying... I took some art courses as an undergrad but never got a degree. I've been painting and showing my work for twenty years but after having a recent discussion with one of my old profs. I'm feeling a huge disadvantage going for an MFA without a previous art degree even though most schools don't require it.

Was wondering if anyone out there could add perspective to this.

Just got another rejection...UNH

I am in the same boat and I feel the same way. I think that not having a BFA or at least a studio post-bac is putting me at serious competitive disadvantage. In terms of competiveness, the killer combination is the double degree (a BFA and BA in Art History). I think that even if you have a strong portfolio that admissions committees like to be reassured about an applicant’s seriousness of purpose, motivation, ambition, artistic drive, and background and that BFA or a studio post-bac may speak to that. It might also be hard for the faculty vetting applications to pass over someone who has the BFA (and probably a stronger studio arts background) over someone who has a BA in some random field. I think that this is especially true at highly competitive programs, since most of the applicants have a BFA or a studio post-bac and some actually have both. Before I applied, I asked my painting prof about this and her advice to me was don’t worry about it and apply anyways. But I am beginning to worry, since it looks like I am going to be applying next year too. Granted, there is a lot that I could have done differently, most obviously apply to a lot more programs and a range of programs. But even programs that are not particularly highly ranked seem to want applicants to have a BFA. Kent State and SMU say so explicitly on their website.

Talked to VCU Sculpture - she said if you havent heard anything by now you're most likely rejected.

That's a real bummer, I'm so sorry. Did you call the main graduate admissions line? I can only assume the same applies for Painting, but it would be nice to hear for sure.

Wow, thanks for all the input. Seems like there's wide range of opinion about this and it probably depends on the school... And of course the applicant. I'm sure I could have polished my application a little harder and cleaned up my web site....probably a few classes wouldn't hurt.

Great idea!

you've just reminded me I'm out of titanium white, cadmiun yellow, alizary crimson, lindseed oil, brushes... I'm going shopping soon as well!

I know I spelled all those 'anglo color and medium names' wrong but I don't care

you've just reminded me I'm out of titanium white, cadmiun yellow, alizary crimson, lindseed oil, brushes... I'm going shopping soon as well!

I know I spelled all those 'anglo color and medium names' wrong but I don't care

How are you painting if you're out of brushes and oil? hah, maybe just low?

How are you painting if you're out of brushes and oil? hah, maybe just low?

basically I buy those really cheap brushes and I rarely clean them... and I buy more when they are caked and drying...

but due to environmental concerns and because I'm moving up (I guess) as an artist, I'm hoping to change that and buy good brushes that I'll have to care for and keep forever

I like this attitude. It's all about hard work and perseverance in the end.

If we suppose that by beginning of april we all have our answers, does that mean that with every new day the probability of hearing back increases? I should hear back from schools every 2 days on average until the end of march...

any one else get lost in useless rationalizations of a process that is completely illogical? :angry:

happy thursday everyone <3

Two of my schools have stated that they won't have decisions until mid/late April. Thanks CUNY! (Brooklyn and City College) But hey, I REALLY want to go study in New York.

I am in the same boat and I feel the same way. I think that not having a BFA or at least a studio post-bac is putting me at serious competitive disadvantage. In terms of competiveness, the killer combination is the double degree (a BFA and BA in Art History). I think that even if you have a strong portfolio that admissions committees like to be reassured about an applicant’s seriousness of purpose, motivation, ambition, artistic drive, and background and that BFA or a studio post-bac may speak to that. It might also be hard for the faculty vetting applications to pass over someone who has the BFA (and probably a stronger studio arts background) over someone who has a BA in some random field. I think that this is especially true at highly competitive programs, since most of the applicants have a BFA or a studio post-bac and some actually have both. Before I applied, I asked my painting prof about this and her advice to me was don’t worry about it and apply anyways. But I am beginning to worry, since it looks like I am going to be applying next year too. Granted, there is a lot that I could have done differently, most obviously apply to a lot more programs and a range of programs. But even programs that are not particularly highly ranked seem to want applicants to have a BFA. Kent State and SMU say so explicitly on their website.

Yeah I kind of agree. I mean, I suppose if you have an incredible portfolio it is certainly possible to transcend this limitation, but you're right in saying; why wouldn't they choose someone with an equally strong portfolio as you, but who is also versed in the world of fine-art academia? I have a BS in film (UT Austin's undergrad film program is in the communications college), and I was kind of worried about that after looking at a lot of fine-art photographers CVs, and seeing that the overwhelming majority had BFAs or BAs. Most of them were actually in photography, though there were some other fine arts disciplines represented as well.

I feel like in many cases they really want someone who speaks the language of the contemporary art world because they are most likely to become a sucessful artist, and that is best found in someone who holds a BFA. I'm sure there are notable exceptions though...

Edited by Hindinwood

Rejected from WVU via snail mail. That was my alleged "safety" school. I only have one school left who made a decision last week, but hasn't contacted me in any way yet, so I'm assuming that is another rejection. Good luck to everyone. I guess I better start trying to build up my exhibition resume a little and write a better statement. I'd say see you next year, but reading this forum is miserable when all you get are rejections. If I bother to apply again, I'm going to try to stay away.

Mick, I got rejected from my 'safety school' as well. That was the first rejection I received...and then the second one came. No acceptances, and things aren't looking hopeful. It is a bit depressing to read about peoples' acceptances, but at the same time it's comforting to know we're not alone - and that in a lot of cases, there's no way to know who is going to get in where...it's all so subjective. That being said, hopefully it's lit a fire beneath you as it has me and our porfolios will only get stronger for next year. Best of luck! Just keep making stuff - that's all we can do!

Is there anyone out there applying who never got a BFA?

It's interesting what Mr. Sad was saying... I took some art courses as an undergrad but never got a degree. I've been painting and showing my work for twenty years but after having a recent discussion with one of my old profs. I'm feeling a huge disadvantage going for an MFA without a previous art degree even though most schools don't require it.

Was wondering if anyone out there could add perspective to this.

Allegheny College gave me a BA because they didn't offer a BFA. My study was primarily in art and technology along the lines of photography. I have done some thinking about this as well and I feel at a disadvantage just for missing the letter F. I took maybe 3 "studio" courses while at Allegheny. Not sure what all the other tech classes are considered but as far as "dirty" classes go it was only a couple. I am sure that applying for painting must be a leap from some school's perspective but to me photography and painting reach the same compositional ends. My concern is how schools view my technical skills with no studio course grades to back them up. I can shoot it, draw it, paint it... I just don't have to proof on my transcripts. Schools make just as big an investment in choosing students as the applicants invest in choosing a school. I'm sure there is a whole spectrum of schools that range from picky to casual with respect to transcript accomplishments / history. I also get the sense that some schools want painters focused only on painting and some want painters who try everything else too. Who knows... There are a million variables and even more speculations.

Thanks man. The fire is hotter than ever and there are some things that I find very exciting developing in my work. Unfortunately I'm sort of anti- establishment and I'm afraid I am just going to go farther towards the margins. Maybe grad school isn't where I belong anyway. I think I should change my name, burn my BFA, move to the hills of Kentucky, and try to make a go at it as an outsider artist.

Replace Kentucky with Scotland, and that's my dream life.

Talked to VCU Sculpture - she said if you havent heard anything by now you're most likely rejected.

Mlo said sculpture was still interviewing in rounds

At this point I've lost faith ...here's to another year of teaching disrespectful high schoolers

At least you dont run the risk of being told at an interview "your job sounds so interesting, dont you think you might profit from sticking with it for a few years?"

Well, there is a particularly harsh reality in that even the professional artists we seek training from still have to work for a living. I wonder how often they day-dream about being able to quit and thrive solely on sales?

I wouldn't take it as a slight. You probably just got one of them during mid-terms, crits, admin. garbage and interviews. That prof. probably envied you.