MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Ask for an extension, they are part of the Council of Graduate Schools and should abide by the April 15th deadline.

"Students are under no obligation to respond to offers of financial support prior to April 15; earlier deadlines for acceptance of

such offers violate the intent of this Resolution. In those instances in which a student accepts an offer before April 15, and subsequently

desires to withdraw that acceptance, the student may submit in writing a resignation of the appointment at any time

through April 15. However, an acceptance given or left in force after April 15 commits the student not to accept another offer

without first obtaining a written release from the institution to which a commitment has been made."

http://www.google.co...y5S7mTg&cad=rja

I tried to use this with one school and they told me that because the program was highly competitive, they assumed the right to make the date earlier. I guess we could fight it in theory, but then you run into the problem of making yourself look difficult if you then head to that program. It's a catch-22.

That being said, if anyone has luck with this, I'd be all ears to hear how it went. I think the most important thing I've learned through this whole process is how much it is not geared towards the benefit of the student.

I tried to use this with one school and they told me that because the program was highly competitive, they assumed the right to make the date earlier. I guess we could fight it in theory, but then you run into the problem of making yourself look difficult if you then head to that program. It's a catch-22.

That being said, if anyone has luck with this, I'd be all ears to hear how it went. I think the most important thing I've learned through this whole process is how much it is not geared towards the benefit of the student.

It isn't geared toward students, certainly, but I'd be willing to bet that other schools would love to know about a program that was trying to undercut them by forcing early decisions. Personally, I think that is shady as hell.

It isn't geared toward students, certainly, but I'd be willing to bet that other schools would love to know about a program that was trying to undercut them by forcing early decisions. Personally, I think that is shady as hell.

I totally agree, though I think everyone is in on it. It's a total game: The smaller schools want you to confirm admittance early because they know that they need to get the best students. And the bigger schools can let you know the second week of April whether you are in or out because they know that everyone wants to get into their program. I've had 3 schools want an early decision from me, including two in March. It's ridiculous. After spending so much time and money and energy just on the application process, you then are expected to give a decision before you've even heard back from everywhere, or found out about funding, etc. Welcome to academia.

I'm in the boat of those waiting to hear back from MICA. Has anyone ever heard of people getting accepted without an interview? I could really use some of those stories right now.

I noticed that some have been accepted and rejected in graphic design, but I was told by one of the graduate advisors that some could get in with or without an interview .

what do you mean you got it? Don't we have to apply for it through writing a letter right now? Or did they offer it to you straight out with admission?

yeah they offered it to me when they called me about my admission..........

FYI for people who haven't heard from RISD or Columbia--Cranbrook is pressing me to make a decision by March 19, so I called up RISD and Columbia to find out what the deal is. RISD is mailing rejections out tomorrow for Painting I think, and Columbia refused to tell me what my decision is, though they said letters would be sent out at the end of the month (thus, I'm assuming a rejection since I didn't interview). I think if you haven't heard from RISD or Columbia, as I haven't, then it's a no-go.

Also: Anyone get an email from MICA saying they'd get decision letters on March 12?

MICA: Very unclear what's happening (email/city guide to Baltimore)

Cranbrook: Interviewed/accepted

SAIC: Interviewed/waiting

RISD: Rejected

Columbia: Presumed rejected

CCA: Interviewed/accepted

CalArts: Rejected

yeah they offered it to me when they called me about my admission..........

SWEET! Congrats. Are you accepting? I think cost of living in New Brunswick is about $800 for rent, plus $200 for living expenses, plus $50 for utilities, so about $1050 a month. But this is just a basic minimum, like dirt poor living...lol...add other expenses like travel, art supplies, etc. and it can reach $1500 a month. I think a 24k stipend is very generous. I got a 15k stipend offer from UofW-Madison plus full tuition remission. I'm very jealous of the offer you got from Rutgers. I wish I had gotten it!

SWEET! Congrats. Are you accepting? I think cost of living in New Brunswick is about $800 for rent, plus $200 for living expenses, plus $50 for utilities, so about $1050 a month. But this is just a basic minimum, like dirt poor living...lol...add other expenses like travel, art supplies, etc. and it can reach $1500 a month. I think a 24k stipend is very generous. I got a 15k stipend offer from UofW-Madison plus full tuition remission. I'm very jealous of the offer you got from Rutgers. I wish I had gotten it!

Thanks! :) It's highly possible that I'm going to accept it, but I'm still waiting for results from other schools....The offer you got from UW-Madison is really good too, at least you won't be in debt after you graduate..I didn't expect any MFA programs would offer money...I feel grateful

On the topic of MICA, does anyone know if all graphic design majors were offered interviews? Their website made it seem like only international students were required to have interviews, but I got no notifications. Is it safe to assume I'm out of the running for that school?

Same question applies to SVA for interaction design.

Edited by ReallyTall

I'm really sorry to post this right after you greentyme,

but someone asked about the vcu package

this is what they told me (sculpture)

full tuition for the first year ~18k (out of state)

stipend ~10k of which around 4k would be spent in fees to the university

the stipend would require 15 hours of work a week, either as a TA or a lab monitor basically.

they said that for the second year there is substantial money but that they can't really guarantee it, bc the amounts fluctuate from year to year

anyone know when we are suppose to hear from U of Michigan?

Chris

http://www.christopherkeiper.com

I emailed Wendy a few days ago to see if we could still expect decisions by March 10 and she said "Yes, I expect decisions to be this week." My impression during the interview was that you get a phone call if you're admitted and a snail mail letter if not.

I emailed Wendy a few days ago to see if we could still expect decisions by March 10 and she said "Yes, I expect decisions to be this week." My impression during the interview was that you get a phone call if you're admitted and a snail mail letter if not.

Oh no!! That means none of us 3 got admitted if this is true! Lets hope not, because I didn't recieve a phone call. Did anyone else? Hopefully it's all via snail mail....now you've got me worried!!!ahh!

FYI for people who haven't heard from RISD or Columbia--Cranbrook is pressing me to make a decision by March 19, so I called up RISD and Columbia to find out what the deal is. RISD is mailing rejections out tomorrow for Painting I think, and Columbia refused to tell me what my decision is, though they said letters would be sent out at the end of the month (thus, I'm assuming a rejection since I didn't interview). I think if you haven't heard from RISD or Columbia, as I haven't, then it's a no-go.

Also: Anyone get an email from MICA saying they'd get decision letters on March 12?

MICA: Very unclear what's happening (email/city guide to Baltimore)

Cranbrook: Interviewed/accepted

SAIC: Interviewed/waiting

RISD: Rejected

Columbia: Presumed rejected

CCA: Interviewed/accepted

CalArts: Rejected

MICA MT. Royal said they would send out notifications after Friday next week. I don;t know about Hoffberger.