MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

No clue, but perhaps some of the accepted folks on here could let us know...

Okay, I sent an email and got one back from Bethany, the graphic design director. She said she's let me know by the end of the week (and definitely before Tuesday evening, which is when I leave for a 72 hour bus ride from Bogota to Lima). I'm sure it's different for all departments, but if you're really interested in RISD, send them a nice email letting them know that you are interested and waiting! Keep yourself fresh in their brains...

Getting nervous. Still waitlisted to Hoffberger. :-/

I'm throwing all of my angst and energy into making new work. I'm also applying to a few artists residencies in case things don't pan out this year...

Also in an effort to distract myself from obsessively checking this forum, I've finally created a website for myself. Hooray!

http://kellyneibert.com/home.html

It is getting closer to the decision date of 15 April - for the sake of all people on waitlists - if you've chosen your school, please don't delay notifying the ones you won't be attending so others can move up the ranks or at least get closure. :)

Agreed!!! Sick of waiting and everyone is sick of me talking about TYLER

For those who got accepted to Parsons. How much merit based scholarship did you receive?

Apparently it goes up to 65%

Last year someone got 75%

But of course that's like very few people get a lot - they tend to dole out a little bit of money to many people in that program, so some people might get like 20% or less - but most people get something, I think

Hi! I did the post-bac at MICA a few years ago (was also choosing between Brandeis and MICA)- and I don't regret my decision one bit. I had visited both schools and just felt like MICA had more to offer in terms of resources, studio space, faculty, etc. than Brandeis. Bill Schmidt (who heads the program) and Linda Bills (the artist in residence) were amazing mentors, - I'm still in touch with both of them. There are also opportunities to work with lots of different faculty, depending on your interests. My work changed dramatically over the course of the year (I went in an oil painter and came out a sculptor...), and it was a truly wonderful experience.

Anyway I could go on and on and on - but feel free to PM me if you want more info/ have any more specific questions : )

Thank you very much for the info! I also applied to SAIC and waiting to hear back from their post-bac program. This is my priority choice.

NYU

Depends on whether you want to shell out the money for NYU. Brooklyn is considerably cheaper.

These two programs are really different, so it depends on what you're looking for. Have you visited BK college before? I was just put on the wait list at NYU... so I am really hoping you fall in love with BK lol.

If it's between just those two, Brooklyn College.

Thank you for your respond,

I decided to go for NYU...

Best luck for you all. :)

Edited by AZAS

I'm wondering if it is wise to contact a school regarding my place on their waiting list. Is this a bad idea? Are people even ranked on it?

I would say go ahead and try.. I mean...doesn't hurt to ask, right? I'm guessing the worst that could happen is that they don't give you the info.

I'm wondering if it is wise to contact a school regarding my place on their waiting list. Is this a bad idea? Are people even ranked on it?

It can't hurt to let them know you're still very interested and want to know more information. Depending on the school, sometimes it's more complicated than ranking if they're trying to balance a class, but sometimes it's just plain ranking. I say, Ask!

Do contact them. I works sometimes. be honest some school likes it. So, my suggestion is: Do it!

I applied to 8 schools, got interviews with 4 and accepted at 3. One highly ranked school ( a ) that is insanely expensive and offers very little funding, one middle tier program ( b ) that offers exceptional funding (100% tuition, health insurance, and living stipend for three years), and another highly ranked program ( c ) that rejected me but offered admission into their low residency program run at a different institution. I had pretty much decided to take the amazing funding from the second school, when I got a flurry of emails from the dgs and deans office saying that the state legislature had cut their budget severely and they were retracting their entire funding offer. They said I could defer until next year and see if funding is available, but they don't know how likely that will be (outlook is bleak).

Am I crazy if I turn down all three offers and try again next year? I would love to attend school ( a ) but I really can't imagine going $100,000+ in debt at this point in my life. I don't want to do a low residency program, and waiting around for school ( b ) may not pan out.

Anyone else in a similar situation of having offers and considering turning them all down?

Edited by visible

Visible - Wow, that's crazy, not to mention highly unethical on behalf of school b. I don't think you're crazy at all to wait a year - work on your portfolio and put together something you're really proud of (not that I'm saying you didn't already). I think as long as you have a place to live and a job and don't have to move, waiting another year is the way to go. And don't apply to school b again.

I'm in a similar situation, in terms of turning down a really good school because of finances. I've had people tell me that if I ever want to be a "serious" artist, that I just HAVE to go to that school. A load of bollocks if you ask me.

I applied to 8 schools, got interviews with 4 and accepted at 3. One highly ranked school ( a ) that is insanely expensive and offers very little funding, one middle tier program ( b ) that offers exceptional funding (100% tuition, health insurance, and living stipend for three years), and another highly ranked program ( c ) that rejected me but offered admission into their low residency program run at a different institution. I had pretty much decided to take the amazing funding from the second school, when I got a flurry of emails from the dgs and deans office saying that the state legislature had cut their budget severely and they were retracting their entire funding offer. They said I could defer until next year and see if funding is available, but they don't know how likely that will be (outlook is bleak).

Am I crazy if I turn down all three offers and try again next year? I would love to attend school ( a ) but I really can't imagine going $100,000+ in debt at this point in my life. I don't want to do a low residency program, and waiting around for school ( b ) may not pan out.

Anyone else in a similar situation of having offers and considering turning them all down?

Yep, kind of in the same boat. I have/had a choice between multiple, expensive schools. Still not sure what I will do. Doesn't make much sense to go into a huge amount of debt for art school since you don't get out and all of a sudden make a ton of money... Same for me in graphic design. I don't know what to do either! Eek!

I've decided on Rutgers- super excited & ready to be closer to NYC : )

I've decided on Rutgers also so I'll see you there in the fall. I feel you about New York!. All week I kept having this dream where they didn't get my acceptance letter or that I checked the wrong box. I had to go online and double check everything.

I second the thoughts of miyamoto and Rachel...pass on it this year. Apply again next year to schools that will ALL give you excellent funding...there is NO need to go so far into debt.

Check out the Forum on here that we all put together on Excellent Funded MFA programs and pick your winners for Fall 2013! Sorry to hear you got so screwed :(

Edited by OutWest