MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Random question, why are people so secretive on this forum? Is there some creep out there that steals information or art? Just wondering :P

I think this is the main place where all MFA's are constantly checking to find info about their future schools or about the process of applying. There's naturally a lot of competition in the art world.. but this is a very intense/sensitive time for candidates. I think some people choose to keep things private (i.e. a website or some of our rejections) because of this intensity. A friend of mine got an interview at Yale for painting and I did not. A part of me was jealous. I couldn't stop checking their website, I was comparing our work etc. (ultimately, I am excited for them!) but I think in general.. people do not want to bare all.

I think this is the main place where all MFA's are constantly checking to find info about their future schools or about the process of applying. There's naturally a lot of competition in the art world.. but this is a very intense/sensitive time for candidates. I think some people choose to keep things private (i.e. a website or some of our rejections) because of this intensity. A friend of mine got an interview at Yale for painting and I did not. A part of me was jealous. I couldn't stop checking their website, I was comparing our work etc. (ultimately, I am excited for them!) but I think in general.. people do not want to bare all.

Thanks Noceh4 for your perspective. As I am one of those freaking out and constantly checking the forum, I understand the stress and competition. I, however, would find it really helpful to see other painters work. For example, if someone on this forum got into a school that I did not, it would be helpful for me to see their portfolio - as a self-critique. It's no big deal, really, I was just curious as to why people are very secretive. And, as I've had nothing but rejections I guess I have nothing to lose at this point...

Thanks Noceh4 for your perspective. As I am one of those freaking out and constantly checking the forum, I understand the stress and competition. I, however, would find it really helpful to see other painters work. For example, if someone on this forum got into a school that I did not, it would be helpful for me to see their portfolio - as a self-critique. It's no big deal, really, I was just curious as to why people are very secretive. And, as I've had nothing but rejections I guess I have nothing to lose at this point...

You know, I understand where you're coming from. Artists spend a lot of time alone and/or in their heads. When it comes to any sort of external evaluation or validation, we can't help but stress- it seems inborn into the way many of us work. But this message board is a small fraction of those in total who apply and get in-- and don't. If you really want to learn and improve- there are countless contemporary peers whose work is so readily accessible online as well as thousands of years of visual history. To compare and be compared here seems like a very myopic way of looking at your art and portfolio. It does provide context, but I would say that it's not very constructive.

At the the same time, I think one should resist hounding on another user for website details-- you know, there's a thread explicitly for that and if it hasnt been shared yet it hasnt for a reason. In this age, everything is recorded on the Internet and there's a reason we all have anonymous usernames.

You know, I understand where you're coming from. Artists spend a lot of time alone and/or in their heads. When it comes to any sort of external evaluation or validation, we can't help but stress- it seems inborn into the way many of us work. But this message board is a small fraction of those in total who apply and get in-- and don't. If you really want to learn and improve- there are countless contemporary peers whose work is so readily accessible online as well as thousands of years of visual history. To compare and be compared here seems like a very myopic way of looking at your art and portfolio. It does provide context, but I would say that it's not very constructive.

At the the same time, I think one should resist hounding on another user for website details-- you know, there's a thread explicitly for that and if it hasnt been shared yet it hasnt for a reason. In this age, everything is recorded on the Internet and there's a reason we all have anonymous usernames.

Just to be clear, I was simply wondering why people are secretive on the site - not implying anything further. No hounding!

Just to be clear, I was simply wondering why people are secretive on the site - not implying anything further. No hounding!

Oh I totally get it- I quoted your message but that was just a general comment toward the several comments from other people that preceded it

Hi all!

does anyone knows about answers or interviews invitations from Pratt??

and -

Study at YALE or RISD and living in New Haven/ Rhode Island --- or--- Living in NYC and study at NYU or Parsons? :)

Thanks!

In the slideroom for Pratt then have a deadline for March 1st. Maybe they are sending letters or emails sometime today. It's still a mystery to me.

Just visited Cranbrook. Cranbrook is an amazing amazing place. If you are unsure about it, visit it! Talk to students there! You will understand why it is great.

Congratulations!!!

Just visited Cranbrook. Cranbrook is an amazing amazing place. If you are unsure about it, visit it! Talk to students there! You will understand why it is great.

I was accepted there last year but could not go due to many crappy circumstances - I never got to visit though! Congrats on your acceptance.

Just accepted to Cranbrook - but can I afford it? Oh this is tough. One good, but mid-tier school offering full tuition waiver and a substantial stipend, and another top-tier school that would likely require big loans to attend. I can't take this stress! It's good stress to be sure. Much better than no acceptances, but hard decisions never-the-less. Added pressure comes in that Cranbrook wants a deposit within 2 weeks. How can I decide when I still haven't heard from all schools?

Cranbrook is highly rated to be sure. But offers no teaching experience and I want to teach when I'm done. So - Expensive, no teaching experience, but looks great on the diploma and I would undoubtedly grow greatly as an artist and have more doors opened for me in the way of exhibitions.

Ohio State is not as highly rated but still a very good school. I like the 3-year nature of the program and I would get at least 2 years of teaching experience and possibly adjunct teaching opportunities with them afterwards. I get full tuition costs covered, plus a to-die-for medical/dental/vision insurance coverage for the whole family for pennies. Plus I get a very nice stipend that will cover a good part of my living expenses.

I really need to hear back from RISD and VCU to help me decide what to do.

In the slideroom for Pratt then have a deadline for March 1st. Maybe they are sending letters or emails sometime today. It's still a mystery to me.

do you know if they have interviews or they send an answer without an interview?

Just accepted to Cranbrook - but can I afford it? Oh this is tough. One good, but mid-tier school offering full tuition waiver and a substantial stipend, and another top-tier school that would likely require big loans to attend. I can't take this stress! It's good stress to be sure. Much better than no acceptances, but hard decisions never-the-less. Added pressure comes in that Cranbrook wants a deposit within 2 weeks. How can I decide when I still haven't heard from all schools?

Cranbrook is highly rated to be sure. But offers no teaching experience and I want to teach when I'm done. So - Expensive, no teaching experience, but looks great on the diploma and I would undoubtedly grow greatly as an artist and have more doors opened for me in the way of exhibitions.

Ohio State is not as highly rated but still a very good school. I like the 3-year nature of the program and I would get at least 2 years of teaching experience and possibly adjunct teaching opportunities with them afterwards. I get full tuition costs covered, plus a to-die-for medical/dental/vision insurance coverage for the whole family for pennies. Plus I get a very nice stipend that will cover a good part of my living expenses.

I really need to hear back from RISD and VCU to help me decide what to do.

It sounds like you're leaning toward Ohio State! And I'd say that's a good decision. If you want teaching experience, definitely go somewhere that will give that to you. Also, going further into debt will not help you at all...I'd say, follow the money. They want you :) Good luck!

Great News! Sleep well... I'm looking forward to seeing the school in a little over a week....

I got a letter in the mail. Boo. Oh well...

jjr8888

Congrats on the acceptances!

SAIC was one of my choices, and I see that you were 'rejected' (sorry). I was wondering how you found out because I haven't heard a thing from them. Of course, i am assuming I'm out of the game, but knowing would be nicer than limbo, IMO.

Thanks!

Accepted via email to University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign today!

No word from Purdue, Boston, Notre Dame, U. of Washington, or LSU. Anyone heard anything from these schools?

Boooo no more waiting!