MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Has any one that applied to University of Houston heard anything yet?

Nope. I called a couple weeks ago. They said it would probably be after spring break and no later than April 1.

I noticed they changed this right before the original deadline. If the site still says it, then it's probably true. If it were me, I would call or email to be sure. Good luck!

Hi whoisit,

I noticed you applied to Mt. Royal. Did you have an interview? If so, in Feb. or March? I interviewed but, Frances Barth was sick at the time. :( ... good luck!

Hi whoisit,

I noticed you applied to Mt. Royal. Did you have an interview? If so, in Feb. or March? I interviewed but, Frances Barth was sick at the time. :( ... good luck!

I accidentally pushed the red down arrow when trying to hit quote. So sorry! I don't see the option to undo it.... No, I did not interview. Basically waiting for official rejections from the rest of my schools. Good luck to you!!

Just bought my Flight to Madison for my TA interview.

I have soooo much prep work to do for it....

anyone have any advice?

Good Luck!

I would just be prepared to talk about general teaching theory, course planning, classroom and course management, resources, and critique methodology. Also show them you are capable of presenting engaging projects and lead in critiques.

I feel like we're all going to hear a lot of news this week...I can hardly breathe.

Edited by leetimko

would it tho? To work on my portfolio for another year and reapply (not just to ucla obviously) and reexamine my offers then? Or do schools hold grudges if youve turned them down in the past? My portfolio is already much stronger than it was a few months ago, I feel in a year I could be more competitie

Hello 2012 applicants! Thought you might appreciate some input and solidarity, despite the fact that I'm not an applicant. My significant other, however, did apply to a bunch of MFA programs. Since her admissions decisions will determine where I'll end up in a few months, I read most of the posts in this thread to know where the processes stand and I share your excitement and disappointment.

Here is her rundown:

CalArts: interviewed

UCI: interviewed

Yale: rejected

UCLA: rejected

SAIC (non-visual arts program): accepted in mid February via regular mail

Columbia: no response whatsoever yet -- I know interview requests have gone out, but is there still any hope for those who haven't heard anything one way or the other?

I will be following the topic closely for updates, biting my nails, wishing you all good luck.

Hello 2012 applicants! Thought you might appreciate some input and solidarity, despite the fact that I'm not an applicant. My significant other, however, did apply to a bunch of MFA programs. Since her admissions decisions will determine where I'll end up in a few months, I read most of the posts in this thread to know where the processes stand and I share your excitement and disappointment.

Here is her rundown:

Columbia: no response whatsoever yet -- I know interview requests have gone out, but is there still any hope for those who haven't heard anything one way or the other?

I will be following the topic closely for updates, biting my nails, wishing you all good luck.

Welcome Yankease! My SO will be moving with me wherever I end up too (if anywhere .. :unsure: ), and I know the process can be very taxing on him too. Good luck! And thanks for sharing her stats.

Happy monday everyone. I know that others who are still waiting must be as impatient as I am for the silence to end.

Welcome Yankease! My SO will be moving with me wherever I end up too (if anywhere .. :unsure: ), and I know the process can be very taxing on him too. Good luck! And thanks for sharing her stats.

Happy monday everyone. I know that others who are still waiting must be as impatient as I am for the silence to end.

That's an interesting subject to discuss in this process, being that most of us are applying to schools over multiple geographic regions and have family/partners. I know my partner wanted to stay in NYC so she is very excited that the only two interviews I got were here lol! She has been really great in being supportive of hearing me complain and stress... And having to hear me talk about gradcafe all day long!

Recieved admission to MassArt via e-mail about an hour ago - with funding that is virtually non-existant. I'm kind of kicking myself for applying to these schools in Boston, BU and MassArt aren't helping at all when it comes to funding. If anyone is waitlisted for these I'm definitely sure I'm not interested.

I can see brown06's point to an extent about re-applying to a range of schools that may be better for her work for the next round (I don't see the point in re-applying to a program you are happy with and accepted in though). If you don't have a good gut feeling about something, give it a little while and then re-asses.

Now all I'm waiting on is Tyler, and at best I think they waive tuition for one year.

At this point I wish they (all remaining schools) could combine all of their rejection letters in a single manila envelope and mail it to me by tomorrow. That way it would be a done deal and the pain or sadness would be over at once and for all, and I'd be able to move on with my life!!!

That's an interesting subject to discuss in this process, being that most of us are applying to schools over multiple geographic regions and have family/partners. I know my partner wanted to stay in NYC so she is very excited that the only two interviews I got were here lol! She has been really great in being supportive of hearing me complain and stress... And having to hear me talk about gradcafe all day long!

unfortunately for me it looks like my fiance won't be coming with me, his parents aren't very supportive of my career choices and don't want him to leave his home town, ultimately they have control as we'd need their cooperation for financial support for him (we're from the UK), they just need to write a letter and refuse to! I feel very frustrated about it!

VCU keeps insisting I email them transcripts from some continuing ed courses (non-credit) I took in the 80s and which the school I attended have no records to show for.

I know what some folks here will say: "at least you haven't been rejected yet"...

unfortunately for me it looks like my fiance won't be coming with me, his parents aren't very supportive of my career choices and don't want him to leave his home town, ultimately they have control as we'd need their cooperation for financial support for him (we're from the UK), they just need to write a letter and refuse to! I feel very frustrated about it!

when is your wedding cxxxxxx? I am engaged too. that's so frustrated that they aren't cooperative. i know from experience that across-the-atlantic-long-distance is hard, but survivable!

tysonr2, I agree, I think it's a subject that affects a lot of people.

ol'spice, I want to agree, but i'm not sure I could stomach 9 rejections at once!

Has anyone who applied for the MFA in photography at MassArt heard back yet?

Recieved admission to MassArt via e-mail about an hour ago - with funding that is virtually non-existant. I'm kind of kicking myself for applying to these schools in Boston, BU and MassArt aren't helping at all when it comes to funding. If anyone is waitlisted for these I'm definitely sure I'm not interested.

I can see brown06's point to an extent about re-applying to a range of schools that may be better for her work for the next round (I don't see the point in re-applying to a program you are happy with and accepted in though). If you don't have a good gut feeling about something, give it a little while and then re-asses.

Now all I'm waiting on is Tyler, and at best I think they waive tuition for one year.

when is your wedding cxxxxxx? I am engaged too. that's so frustrated that they aren't cooperative. i know from experience that across-the-atlantic-long-distance is hard, but survivable!

tysonr2, I agree, I think it's a subject that affects a lot of people.

ol'spice, I want to agree, but i'm not sure I could stomach 9 rejections at once!

well it was due June 1st but we have had to cancel everything! I hope we can marry at glacier point in Yosemite national park, which was where I wanted to marry all along!

Congrats! This is making me nervous, I really want to go to MassArt but have not received an e-mail as of yet. We'll see what the day brings. Does anyone know if massart has a waitlist?

Edited by leetimko

Good Luck!

I would just be prepared to talk about general teaching theory, course planning, classroom and course management, resources, and critique methodology. Also show them you are capable of presenting engaging projects and lead in critiques.

I feel like we're all going to hear a lot of news this week...I can hardly breathe.

This sounds like you're supposed to have teaching experience already. I thought the point was to learn to teach?

I don't have any doubts about my critiquing ability, but in terms of teaching methodology and theory I wouldn't even know where to begin. Am I misinterpreting this?

would it tho? To work on my portfolio for another year and reapply (not just to ucla obviously) and reexamine my offers then? Or do schools hold grudges if youve turned them down in the past? My portfolio is already much stronger than it was a few months ago, I feel in a year I could be more competitie

As much as I agree with you there is a positive side to working on your portfolio longer, I'm wondering why did you apply to the schools that have accepted you (three of them?), if you had your mind set on UCLA or some other specific school?

I'd love to get into UCLA, probably my first choice, but I'm happy to have gotten a couple of acceptances (including the Post Bacc from SAIC) from the other schools I applied to.

This sounds like you're supposed to have teaching experience already. I thought the point was to learn to teach?

I don't have any doubts about my critiquing ability, but in terms of teaching methodology and theory I wouldn't even know where to begin. Am I misinterpreting this?

I think I may have misinterpreted it. Not sure really how an interview for a TA position is run. I was just trying to come up with some points that they may be interested in. Of course it is to learn how to teach, but being prepared and knowing what kind of things you'll be learning can never hurt.

Here is her rundown:

What??!! Columbia has sent out interview requests?.........is it just for painting or all concentrations?