Guest L

I was a former Chancellor's scholar at Vanderbilt University and Nashville was pretty interesting in the 1990's.

It is not an overtly racist place but if you part of a minority or LGBTQ group this is not a great place. People tend to be very conservative and elitist. Vanderbilt was alright but I made no friends during my 3 years there and I graduated early because the professors were super nice but I could not deal with the lack of social scene.

Food choices were all right but honestly the lack of cultural diversity is pretty glaring. I moved up to Indiana which was a tad better but Philadelphia and New Haven were my fondest memories.

Sadly enough... most students were very materialistic. Obsession with weekend parties, fast cars, and loud blaring dorm music were very distracting for studious folks. You probably would be better hiding in the awesome Vanderbilt library which was my best memory there.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2021 at 12:41 PM, Outer Heaven said:

How is the local transit? 

Pretty horrible, honestly. Most everyone commutes from outside the county into the city, so traffic is rough. The city has grown too quickly in the last 5-10 years for the infrastructure to keep up. There is a bus system (MTA), but it's rather spotty. Those are the only two real options, as it's generally not pedestrian or bicycle-friendly. 

2 hours ago, FutureLMHC said:

Pretty horrible, honestly. Most everyone commutes from outside the county into the city, so traffic is rough. The city has grown too quickly in the last 5-10 years for the infrastructure to keep up. There is a bus system (MTA), but it's rather spotty. Those are the only two real options, as it's generally not pedestrian or bicycle-friendly. 

oh dang it but thank you for the insight. Me and my partner don't own a car we walk or bike everywhere. (we live in the East Bay/SF area)

On 1/3/2021 at 10:41 AM, Outer Heaven said:

How is the local transit? 

Absolutely horrid. And now after the Nashville bombing downtown I will dis-recommend even going into the city in today's environment with the increasing number of alt-right folks and militia groups.

• 2 months later...
On 1/18/2021 at 5:26 PM, SocialKonstruct said:

Absolutely horrid. And now after the Nashville bombing downtown I will dis-recommend even going into the city in today's environment with the increasing number of alt-right folks and militia groups.

Have things in Nashville improved since January?