Linguistics 2012

bluetourmaline

Are you guys familiar with the field of L2 Phonology? Is it a promising one? Are there famous advisors/programs in this field? Thank you very much!

do you mean the acquisition of that?

think it's quite promising! because there are so many L2s!

I believe most L2 phonology studies have been looking at English as a second language, and it would be nice to expend it to other languages :P

Sorry for not knowing any famous ppl... but you can find some journal and have a look at their editors and stuff like that

hope it helps :)

Hi everyone,

Recently got accepted to a few places for a doctorate (more rejections than acceptances lol): Arizona, Georgetown, Columbia, and U of Washington (not ling).

I've narrowed it down to 2 choices: Georgetown vs Columbia for applied linguistics.

I am hoping you guys can help me decide by telling me about the programs/schools/faculty members/citylife and more :) Thanks~

Most folks don't have publications. I know one person in my cohort did, but that's hardly the norm. Conference presentations are more common, but a lot of folks come straight from undergrad so it's still not expected. If you have the chance and you have good work to present/publish, do it, but don't publish/present just to get the line on your CV. The work you make public stays with you for your whole career, so make sure you're proud of it :)

I'm sure this is not THE factor of my rejections/acceptances but here's an interesting story:

I'm currently working on my thesis for my MA at Korea University, so technically I'm just a BA :P

I applied to a bunch of places for phd. Most schools had deadlines in early Dec, but some were as late as end of Jan. I got my FIRST paper published about 2 weeks after the deadlines of 5/9 schools-- the other 4, I managed to attach it as my sample work and resume.

Guess what? I got rejected by all 5 and got accepted by all 4 :)

To Youngus,

I suggest that you go to the school with full funding. I was accepted into Georgetown last week, but Dr. Tyler told me that they can only fund three, and unfortunately I was the fourth on the list. I hope that you have full funding from the schools you named since they are all very good programs.

do you mean the acquisition of that?

think it's quite promising! because there are so many L2s!

I believe most L2 phonology studies have been looking at English as a second language, and it would be nice to expend it to other languages :P

Sorry for not knowing any famous ppl... but you can find some journal and have a look at their editors and stuff like that

hope it helps :)

I think it is very promising too! And interesting! But of course on the other hand not a very easy field of study. Thank you for the suggestion! It's very helpful!

Are you guys familiar with the field of L2 Phonology? Is it a promising one? Are there famous advisors/programs in this field? Thank you very much!

I'm not sure if it's very famous, but the Department of Second Language Studies of Indiana University has a Second Language Psycholinguistics Lab (http://www.iub.edu/~psyling/home.htm), lead by Isabelle Darcy. I think what they do is super-interesting (even if it's not really my focus).

I'm not sure if it's very famous, but the Department of Second Language Studies of Indiana University has a Second Language Psycholinguistics Lab (http://www.iub.edu/~psyling/home.htm), lead by Isabelle Darcy. I think what they do is super-interesting (even if it's not really my focus).

Yes, I saw the lab too! It is super interesting indeed! Don't know whether it is famous but definitely very good!