Linguistics 2012

bluetourmaline

With only four quota on the line, I don't expect too much from Rice. With the competition this year, I don't think many ppl will give up their spots either. But I do hope the final results could come out soon.

Are you waiting on Rice as well? I just got an encouraging email from my POI so I'm not giving up hope yet! :)

Are you waiting on Rice as well? I just got an encouraging email from my POI so I'm not giving up hope yet! :)

Yes. I replied my POI when she told me I was on the waiting list, but I received no further replies = =

Who's your POI if you don't mind? Or we can just PM :D Best of luck anyway!

Hi everyone! First-time poster here, looking forward to chatting with other aspiring linguists! I've applied to MA programs in Linguistics (interest in English sociolinguistics), and I was accepted to Georgetown's MLC program last Wednesday. I noticed that someone else just posted an acceptance to the MLC--maybe we'll be classmates in the fall! :)

Hey there-- I think that was me! Would love to chat with someone else attending the program! I'm not 100% yet because I am trying to figure out fin. aid (ugh), but fingers crossed I'll make it work. Feel free to send me a message to chat more.

Edited by boots545

So, I haven't posted on here in a while. I was rejected from all of the east coast schools that I applied to (Cornell, UMass-Amherst, SUNY Stony Brook). I was invited to the Open House at UCSD, but I haven't heard anything since then. I think they're doing their second round of admission on March 24th. I was accepted at UC Davis, and I attended their Open House last week. I really liked the program and all of the faculty and graduate students that I met. I was also offered four years of funding! I'm fairly certain that I'll accept their offer, but since I still haven't heard from Washington or Texas (both websites still say "in review"), I decided to email them to see where I am in their respective piles. I'm expecting to get rejections in response, but I'll just be happy to know, since I have an offer that I'm happy with already. Of course, it would be nice to be accepted too...

Is it just me, or does this year seem especially brutal in the number of rejections/ schools that haven't responded yet? I guess April 15th is still a month away. Blargh! :mellow:

Hey there-- I think that was me! Would love to chat with someone else attending the program! I'm not 100% yet because I am trying to figure out fin. aid (ugh), but fingers crossed I'll make it work. Feel free to send me a message to chat more.

I PMed you!

Congrats on your acceptance/funding option, though! :) As tough as it is, continue to perceive it all on the positive!

Sorry I haven't been around as much, but now my anxiety has turned from admissions to finding a place to live in DC! LOL

Triple Tall Cappuccino, what areas are you looking at? I'm not set on Georgetown yet--but I've been admitted to the MLC program (no funding), so I've been checking out the housing situation to see how exorbitant it is and if attending is even financially possible... So far (and I've only researched briefly), what I've seen scares me! :wacko:

I have been following this thread for a few weeks, i.e. lurking, so I finally decided to make an account and post something, at least to acknowledge the usefulness of this thread. Like everyone else, I have been checking my email obsessively, particularly for finalised wait-list results. I have been accepted to the University of Minnesota. I am on the wait lists for UMass and MIT. I was rejected from UC Santa Cruz. I am still waiting to hear back from the University of Maryland, but I'm not hopeful since I did not receive an invitation to their open house.

I have been following this thread for a few weeks, i.e. lurking, so I finally decided to make an account and post something, at least to acknowledge the usefulness of this thread. Like everyone else, I have been checking my email obsessively, particularly for finalised wait-list results. I have been accepted to the University of Minnesota. I am on the wait lists for UMass and MIT. I was rejected from UC Santa Cruz. I am still waiting to hear back from the University of Maryland, but I'm not hopeful since I did not receive an invitation to their open house.

Hey did you get into the U of M masters or Phd? Are you a current U of M student? Either way congradulations!!

I was accepted into the U of M's MA programme. I am an undergraduate at the U and the linguistics department is fairly small, so I already know the faculty well. It is my safety school, but the professors are great!

Really! I go to St CLoud state, I liked the looks of the program a lot. BUt in 15 years my undergraduate POI Dr. Koffi , has never sucessfully sent a student their, and I got rejected from second languages and cultures

But question, how did you find out because when I log in all it says is my application was sent to the program?

I received an email to check the application website which had posted a generic acceptance letter. Another one of my classmates here at the U received the same email and letter. I do hope that you get accepted too! I know that graduate funding is limited, but I also know that the department really needs TAs because the graduate-student numbers have been dwindling, but the undergraduate numbers are increasingly quite quickly.

Oh my god I have a ton of teaching expeirence too! I want to go to the U of M more then anything, I just knew from the day I applied it was a long shot because of my professors poor record of trying to send students there. Would you suggest calling? I feel like I might be waitlisted, just because if you guys already got in, and I haven't been rejected...I dont know I probably shouldn't assume anything :) If so who would I call?

I heard from all of the programs I applied to now. U Hawaii was the last one, though they can only offer me the MA program, not the Ph.D.

Who posted their result from UH? I saw "decent" funding. Does that mean it's more than the $10,000/year tuition waiver (when tuition is currently $13,392?)

I also got into the MA program (I applied as Ph.D) they were vague about funding in their initial email (I have yet to get the official letter in the mail). I also would like to know more about funding!

Looks like we may be classmates next year :)

Hi - I'm new to the forum, but after reading through the pages I thought I should join in. I think that I was the one that posted about acceptance at UH Manoa with funding. I was accepted to their PhD program with full funding plus teaching stipend for four (possibly five) years. I'm not sure how their funding works exactly - but while I was there for an interview, many of their ma students told me that they got funding starting their second or third semester, usually a TAship or something similar.

I just found out a few days ago that I was accepted to Stanford (full funding) and Buffalo (full funding). I specialize in fieldwork and language documentation (which is why I applied to Hawaii and Buffalo (and Berkeley for that matter)), but this acceptance from Stanford seems too good to pass up, even though their fieldwork emphasis is in it's beginning stages.

What would you do? Stanford also boasts a much more convenient locale - but I wouldn't be getting the same enthusiastic support for fieldwork that Hawaii would offer. Any other field linguists out there?

(Oh, and I guess I should balance out those three acceptances with five rejections from UChicago (offer of MA in humanities), Berkeley, UCSB (from waitlist), Colorado, and Oregon)

Edited by katelynnlindsey

To the people posting about UH Manoa, ave you applied for the linguisitics or the SLS program? I'm waiting on the SLS program, I know they're

recruiting faculty but it is LONG!!! :{

Hi,

I've been lurking the past couple of weeks to see if I could get any information about Georgetown. I'm assuming that not having heard heard one way or another by now means waitlisted, but I wanted to ask whoever posted on the results page that they contacted the department and found out that way-- who exactly did you direct your email to? Reply here or PM me so I can find out too.... Thanks!!!

I applied to the Ph.D. with a concentration in sociolx. My advisor wrote to some of the faculty there to ask what the deal was, and even though she didn't get a straight response it looks like those of us who haven't heard back were probably waitlisted. But I need to know for sure! I have two good offers from Pittsburgh and U of Arizona, and I'm perhaps too anxious to start making a decision :)

@ Triple Tall Cappuccino: What's your take on the main DC area vs. surrounding areas? Trying to decide if the convenience of the former would be worth the cost (housing, taxes, etc.)... Though my undergrad off-campus housing was certainly pricey enough, the only public transit I'm really acquainted with is buses.

I am visiting this week, though, so hopefully I'll get a better feel for the city!

Hi everyone! I have another random question. In the English department it is fairly important to be published by the time you are applying for your PhD. Is it the same in linguistics? Do masters students regularly publish/present at conferences?

@ Triple Tall Cappuccino: What's your take on the main DC area vs. surrounding areas? Trying to decide if the convenience of the former would be worth the cost (housing, taxes, etc.)... Though my undergrad off-campus housing was certainly pricey enough, the only public transit I'm really acquainted with is buses.

I am visiting this week, though, so hopefully I'll get a better feel for the city!

@100freestyle: I have lived in the DC area for the past five years - and while I haven't lived down in arlington or up in maryland, nothing quite beats a short commute - especially in DC where metro is always going up and can be delayed. For less expensive housing, look for places up in northern northwestern dc, or even in southern maryland. georgetown is nearest to the red line, so being near that line (especially if you're way north) can be particularly convenient. I'm renting out a room of a house in chevy chase dc, which is very convenient and pretty inexpensive. any apartments near American University or on wisconsin avenue will be on your bus route to georgetown as well :) you will see it all for yourself - but feel free to pm me (and wait to see what @tripletallcappuccino has to say)

Edited by katelynnlindsey