Linguistics 2012

bluetourmaline

@LinguisticMystic--I had a dream the night before I was accepted that I did my perfunctory login to the website (not expecting anything but doing it just in spite of myself), and found that I had been harshly denied, so maybe that's a good sign? Haha

@wame0601 I majored in English and minored in Linguistic Anthropology. If I get into EMU with funding, I'm going to have a really hard time turning it down despite the allure of Georgetown...

I did my undergrad at the University of Michigan. My favorite area of linguistics is definitely socio (really interested in the intersection of language ideologies and education), but I am also interested in the Language Technology certificate EMU offers because it would open up more job prospects. How about you, wame0601?

Edited by 100freestyle

Yeah that certificate would be amazing, I am interested in it as well. However, I am most interested in language aquistion or pyscholinguistics, I think I want to research (in my MA or phD) the potential barriers that second language learners can encounter, and what teachers can do to help those students overcome them. I may want to focus that on students with learning disabilities. My faviorte area though would be phonetics. Do you know 100 freesyle when EMU plans on letting us know?

For the MA programs I applied to: U Washington - I'm a finalist while they figure out funding, so I assume that when final decisions come out, they will include funding. I've heard that they are only offering admission to those that they can fund. UW Madison - No funding as far as I know. It has not been mentioned in any correspondence I've had with them, but it doesn't really matter to me. NCSU - Funding information comes after they've announced acceptances. At least it did last year.

So... like everything else, it depends.

Preach on, re: GTown! I'm having /such/ a hard time concentrating on my research project right now with my life hanging in the balance here! This is ridiculous, but I've been sleeping in each day this week in hopes that a higher email accumulation by the time I wake up = greater likelihood of finding an acceptance email in my inbox. I'm clearly going insane.

@busbus That's what the e-mail said for the whole GSAS.. I guess I should have clarified :-P

Wow, really? I thought it was a typo. Hah, that's pretty unusual. Usually schools cite the number of applicants to a particular program instead...

Yeah, I thought it was odd too.. I read the e-mail a few times before I finally figured it out. I kept thinking, "surely 11,200 people didn't apply to the linguistics program.." and then it said GSAS.. which I still found odd but.. oh well!