Linguistics 2012

bluetourmaline

I'd love to know too!!

The only thing I know with any certainty is that the department got 185 (not sure how many of these were M.A. vs. PhD.) applications and will be accepting 4-5 (PhD). I don't know for sure but I'd guess final decisions will be coming out this week.

@ Hannah NYU and any others applying to Boulder... what are you research interests? Who have you mentioned in your personal statements? Feel free to PM me and we can chat a bit more about the program (something I love to do because there are some wonderful people here)!

I hate this whole stupid process.

I hear you - I'm going crazy trying to figure out if Northwestern just forgot about me or is it a good sign that other people got rejected through the website, while my status declares that a decision has not been rendered yet :unsure:

I don't have any good new yet and I expect (and calmly accept) this year might be a flop...but anyway, for those who did apply to schools outside US, I've got an email reply from UBC saying they would not have results until mid March (much later than last year). It seems that the application pool in the US this year is incredibly competitive with lots of promising linguists (Yah for the field and Woe for me), I hope I would have better luck in the neighbor country! And congrats to all those with good news!

@ Hannah NYU and any others applying to Boulder... what are you research interests? Who have you mentioned in your personal statements? Feel free to PM me and we can chat a bit more about the program (something I love to do because there are some wonderful people here)!

My research interests are language and gender in South Asia. I do work on Hindi/Urdu and will be beginning Punjabi in the future. I'm more interested in sociolinguistics/linguistic anthropology than any subfield in formal linguistics. My faculty members of choice are Kira Hall and Bhuvana Navasimhan in linguistics and Carole McGranahan, Deepti Mistri, and Lucy Chester in anthro/gender studies. The program at Colorado is really something special for me since there is a great deal of flexibility between departments and so many great faculty. It's definitely my top choice. But it's also my first application season, so I'm not really expecting to get in. And even if I do, I know funding is tight at Boulder so I might have to wait an extra year anyway. Regardless, I hope something comes through, if not at Boulder than somewhere else! Good luck to you!!!

Attention people applying to Boulder: I heard from Kira Hall and she said they will be making the final decisions in the next two weeks! Keep your fingers crossed and GOOD LUCK!!!!

Did you contact KH and ask or did she get in touch with you? Also, your interests sound so interesting, and a perfect match for CU. I hope it works out for you!

Two rejections in one day, awesome. Well it looks like I probably won't even have to decide where to go, but at least I like the program I was accepted to. Ugh, just kinda down about getting rejected from my top choices in the same day. For undergrad and my current grad program, I got into every school I applied to and with funding, so this is new for me. Trying to focus on the excitement of starting the program I'm accepted to and moving and all that jazz.

Two rejections in one day, awesome. Well it looks like I probably won't even have to decide where to go, but at least I like the program I was accepted to. Ugh, just kinda down about getting rejected from my top choices in the same day. For undergrad and my current grad program, I got into every school I applied to and with funding, so this is new for me. Trying to focus on the excitement of starting the program I'm accepted to and moving and all that jazz.

Ugh. I'm sorry, Elizabeth. I feel your pain - strings of rejections are no fun. Though, the way I look at it - at least it makes my decisions on where to go easier! haha ;-)

Also Were you the one who posted the Amherst one? Mine still says "applied." But something about not being notified until 21 days later if it's a rejection?

Yeah, I had that before, but now it says: "As of February 10, 2012, the status of your application is denied." with a "many qualified applicants...blahblahblah..." when I click on 'denied.'

And, I also got an email that suddenly popped up tonight, referring me to the website.

Thanks for your support too :) Good luck to you!

Edited by txelizabeth

rejected from UCLA, too-- they sent the email around 3:00am their local time! i found that odd...

it seems i should not have applied to any schools that lean theoretical linguistics, they've all rejected me. pray for me for the other programs! lol

It sounds like the UCLA decisions are out, but I never got an email, and the decision status website still says no decision has been made on my application. Any ideas about what's going on here?

Applying to Theoretical Ling programs to concentrate in Syntax and Endangered Languages... rejected from Cornell, interviews at McGill, Harvard, and Maryland. I guess MIT has sent out their acceptance letters (boo), but still havent heard from UConn, UMass Amherst, NYU, Georgetown. :( this is probably a terrible idea to join a forum, but I'm painfully curious.

Txelizabeth- I, too, was rejected from UMich. It's my fourth rejection, but somehow this one has hurt the most. I'm holding out for three more programs. My prospects aren't looking too good. It may be the case that I become a second-year applicant. The problem, however, is that I'm not sure if I can do another year of this process. It's too expensive, and I'm not sure if I'll be better off next year.

I think--no, I know--if I can get into any program, Master's or Doctorate, I'll be able to prove myself and have more linguistics courses under my belt to demonstrate my abilities. Unfortunately, I attended a small liberal arts university for my undergraduate degree, and there was no linguistics department. It doesn't seem to matter that I took every course offered in linguistics (general and hispanic) during my tenure. I'm guessing it is enough in this year's applicant pool. At this juncture, I feel I should have gone with my initial instinct of applying for Master's programs, but all of my professors strongly encouraged (and even required) my applying to PhD programs. Sigh.

My congratulations go out to all of you. Do you have any suggestions for me in the event that I find myself in the undesirable position of not attending graduate school in the fall?

I send many good vibes to those of you in my position... with the slightly stronger hope that I get an acceptance, too. :)

travgrad i think you're right--- based off of my own rejections (compared to my NON-rejections), i feel like with the high volume of applicants, they generally eliminated candidates who don't have a strong linguistics background (i.e. a bachelor's or master's in linguistics). if you do have to reapply (i may be in the same boat, so i can easily empathize!) you may consider applying to program's that aren't traditional linguistics departments (i.e., more interdisciplinary programs).

So sorry to you all... but keep your heads up! I'm a firm believer that when one door closes, another one opens!

I believe that getting an internship will highly increase your chances. I know that for those of you doing applied linguistics, CAL (Center for Applied Linguistics) in DC has an excellent internship program (I did it last summer). That, or live abroad for a semester to really immerse yourself/acquire a new language to add under your belt. Or maybe teach for a year? That way, it also shows you are capable of becoming a TA/potential professor?

This wait it KILLING ME. Still no response from ANYWHERE!