Linguistics 2012

bluetourmaline

If you are curious. That's my OSU acceptance! First notification = first acceptance. Hoping this good news continues for me and you all!

YAY!

Congrats! So happy for you. :lol:

This probably means OSU gave me a no.

Hope there would be good news in the corner for me too :D

Congrats, PhDreaming! I keep my fingered crossed for me (my top choice hasn't replied yet to anyone as far as I know, come on already!!) and for everyone else on this thread.

Edited by Ling304

Congrats PhDreaming! And, of course, busbus and Ling304!!!! I hope everything goes OK with your interview. Just don't freak out, you've made it this far, that's a great sign. You'll do fine, and we're here to support our fellow linguists. :)

I didn't hear from Cornell today, so it's probably a no from them. It looks like they send out rejections by mail about a week after acceptances. So I'll brace myself for that.

Feel ya. Goes for Harvard as well. :(

Did anyone apply to OSU (Spanish and Portuguese Dept) for Hispanic and/or Romance Linguistics? I'm wondering if they make their decisions around the same time as the general Linguistics Dept. From what I've seen on the survey, notifications are generally sent around mid-February. Still, I'd like to know if anyone's heard anything. Congrats to those who've been accepted in the past few days!

Did anyone apply to OSU (Spanish and Portuguese Dept) for Hispanic and/or Romance Linguistics? I'm wondering if they make their decisions around the same time as the general Linguistics Dept. From what I've seen on the survey, notifications are generally sent around mid-February. Still, I'd like to know if anyone's heard anything. Congrats to those who've been accepted in the past few days!

A friend of mine here in my department got accepted to OSU Hispanic LInguistics a couple weeks ago. He was invited to their recruitment week which will take place on March 1st. Hope your acceptance is on it's way.

A friend of mine here in my department got accepted to OSU Hispanic LInguistics a couple weeks ago. He was invited to their recruitment week which will take place on March 1st. Hope your acceptance is on it's way.

Wow, thanks for the information! Frankly it sounds like bad news though. On the appstatus page is still says "in review." Now I'm kind of worried. I'm glad you told me though!

By the way, has anyone heard any signs of notification from UCLA?

I am also waiting for their response, although I am a little less stressed now, that I got admitted by UT Austin (what a sneaky way to announce it, i know :ph34r:). Judging by previous years they should let us know very soon.

So happy about the admission, for the first time since I submitted the application forms I do not feel completely like a fraud.

Congrats Ling304!

Did you get an acceptance from a POI at UT or was it a message to check your online status (if you don't mind me asking)?

It was an E Mail from the graduate advisor. The online status still says "in review".

Their open house is on March 1-3.

Congratualtions PhDreaming!!! I see you're from Boulder. Any word on their admission process/timeline/funding? (not that you'd know but...)

Correct, I know very little about the process. I don't know where the professors are with respect to reviewing apps but I don't think any serious consideration has been given to the lot. I found out yesterday that my internal application was missing recommendations which I promptly got submitted this morning. But given that that was the case, I assume review of apps has not started in earnest. Additionally, I know that we received approximately 80 applications to the PhD program for a total of approximately 5 spots.

Since I don't know anything to be true... consider this all speculation!

Harvard peeps:

I emailed the graduate director yesterday politely asking about the status of my application. I received the following response:

"The committee is meeting these two weeks and some replies may begin to be sent out in two weeks from the Graduate School."

So, does this mean that the interviews aren't mandatory? I don't know what to make of this response.

I guess I'll just tell myself that if I don't get an interview date, then I should just pretend I didn't get in. Then, if I do, it'll be a pleasant surprise. LOL

Congrats and good luck to all! :)

Harvard peeps:

I emailed the graduate director yesterday politely asking about the status of my application. I received the following response:

"The committee is meeting these two weeks and some replies may begin to be sent out in two weeks from the Graduate School."

So, does this mean that the interviews aren't mandatory? I don't know what to make of this response.

I guess I'll just tell myself that if I don't get an interview date, then I should just pretend I didn't get in. Then, if I do, it'll be a pleasant surprise. LOL

Congrats and good luck to all! :)

I was wondering the same thing... :hugs:

@wlkwih2 and @Triple Tall Cappuccino - I had my interview with Harvard today (I mistakenly wrote February 4th on the result survey page, should have been 3rd), and they told me that decisions are due at the end of the month, so there is still plenty of time.

Keeping my fingers crossed for all of us!

Edited by Ling304