Linguistics 2012

bluetourmaline

AFAIK, NYU did recruit students without interviews. Fuzzylogician had some nice acceptances without interviews in the previous year.

I think NYU started interviews last year. At least everyone I know who were accepted or wait-listed were also interviewed. But that might change this year.

Boulder: end of March (no interview)

I'm currently a student at Boulder and just thought I would update this. Though the message board indicated that decisions are made late in March, that's not exactly the case. From what I have gathered, the committee will meet in February and invite shortlisted students to visit campus in the first week of March. I don't know if that visit is interview or recruiting but that's what the schedule looks like as far as I can gather.

Does anyone know if Georgetown has a lot of funding to offer? my sense was they didn't.

I applied to Georgetown two years ago and was told that they only have enough money to fund 2 people per subdiscipline. This means, two sociolinguists, two theoretical linguists and two whatever else they have (blanking right now). They admit more than they can fund, it would seem.

Anyone have the school on any other schools process (specifically Stanford or OSU?)

The two schools that I am most eagerly awaiting at this point are Cornell and UMass. From the results page, it looks like they're both right around Feb. 10th.

Of course, I'm looking for the final results from UC San Diego too, but I have the Open House to attend first. Does anyone here know anything about how the UC San Diego Open House has worked in the past? Are attendees generally offered admission, or is it more selective?

Because CU is a state school, the funding situation is not perfect but it is still good. All PhD students are guaranteed 10 semesters of teaching. Depending on your percentage appointment you will get paid more or less and be able to take more or fewer credits without having to pay out of pocket. There are also possibilities to T.A. outside of the department which can sometimes be better than the percentage appointment in linguistics. But that is seemingly rare. Like I said... the funding is not perfect, but it works.

I'm currently a student at Boulder and just thought I would update this. Though the message board indicated that decisions are made late in March, that's not exactly the case. From what I have gathered, the committee will meet in February and invite shortlisted students to visit campus in the first week of March. I don't know if that visit is interview or recruiting but that's what the schedule looks like as far as I can gather.

I applied to Georgetown two years ago and was told that they only have enough money to fund 2 people per subdiscipline. This means, two sociolinguists, two theoretical linguists and two whatever else they have (blanking right now). They admit more than they can fund, it would seem.

Anyone have the school on any other schools process (specifically Stanford or OSU?)

Applied linguistics is the other one, and I think computational.

According to the results survery, Harvard should be next week (the first week of February). Georgetown is all over the place, and it's the one that I'm anxiously waiting for. :-/ This is killing my nerves!!!!

From what I've heard about Georgetown, they're not super keen on giving away money (which is funny since we all know that they're rolling in it :P), but PhD's, as usual, have more of a change to get more funding. I'm not entirely sure though, that's what I've heard :unsure: I haven't heard from any yet.. oh well. No news, good news?

Dreamt last night that I got two acceptance notifications... then I woke up, checked my e-mail, and of course, nothing! Waiting is no fun.

FWIW, I'm the one who posted the Michigan result a few days back. Judging by the content of the email, I'm pretty sure they sent it out to all of the shortlisted candidates at the same time. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but after looking through this thread, I figured some of you might want to know.

Best of luck to you all!

What's the difference between shortlisted and accepted/rejected?

Shortlist seems to have a couple possible meanings when it comes to this whole process.

1) Some schools shortlist candidates and invite them to campus to interview and base offers on the interview weekend/day.

2) Other schools seem to "shortlist" students and invite them all to campus knowing that they plan to make an offer to all of them.

Still other schools send out acceptances without a shortlist/interview cycle and thus also send out rejections without an interview. Needless to say, if a school does send out shortlistinterview invites, the rest of the applicants get rejections though these are not always sent out at the same time as the shortlist/interview invites.

HTH

Hi everyone! How nice to have a place for fellow prospective linguists going through the same thing. I'm wondering if anyone else out there took the backdoor approach into linguistics and applied to a language specific linguistics program such as Germanic or Romance linguistics. Given that my MA was not in linguistics, I took this approach and have so far been accepted at 1 out of the 7 institutions to which I applied (UIUC in Romance Linguistics). Also, any word on the average funding packages for linguist Ph.D.s? I'm being offered approximately $15K. I think it's the full amount, but is it decent?

I've been tempted to apply to Slavic linguistics, since Balto-Slavic languages are in my area of expertise, but somehow I don't like the philological (in de Saussure's sense) approach. It's a matter of taste, I guess. Congrats on your acceptance. :)

I'm surprised by the lack of historical linguists here. :(

Actually, I didn't list it as my program, but the area I plan to specialize in is really historical romance linguistics. I think you and I are the only historical linguists on this forum. I'm sure it has to do with academic trends. Historical linguistics just isn't in vogue at the moment. That means more room in the field for us!

Actually, I didn't list it as my program, but the area I plan to specialize in is really historical romance linguistics. I think you and I are the only historical linguists on this forum. I'm sure it has to do with academic trends. Historical linguistics just isn't in vogue at the moment. That means more room in the field for us!

Yaaaaaaaaay!

Historical linguistics, whatever be its antiquity, is of a wonderful structure... :D

I had taken a lot of courses on Latin and Old Latin, however I was more into Proto-Indo-European approach and not so much into various Romance languages. I have a tendency to be the jack of all trades (and a master of none :mellow:), so I had to stop switching my interests between various language groups (and other random fields of interest in my life, I had to stop with "TODAY I'M A PHYSICIST"), so I focused on Balto-Slavic ones. That was my I do. :D Romance and Slavic linguistics are alike actually, there are various language descendants of the common proto-lanaguage and there's so much work to do to grasp them all.

I wish you good luck regarding your research and acceptances. :)

wlkwih2,

Thanks for the sentiments. Perhaps we'll meet as colleagues at a conference someday? Can I ask where you've applied? Also, are you familiar with Brian Joseph at Ohio State? I think he has done some work in Balto-Slavic languages, though his expertise is Greek historical linguistics.