Linguistics 2012

bluetourmaline

wlkwih2,

Thanks for the sentiments. Perhaps we'll meet as colleagues at a conference someday? Can I ask where you've applied? Also, are you familiar with Brian Joseph at Ohio State? I think he has done some work in Balto-Slavic languages, though his expertise is Greek historical linguistics.

I'm looking forward to meeting you one day. Who knows... :)

My top choices are Harvard and Cornell, mostly because of Jay Jasanoff and Wayles Browne, who seem to be the best choice for my future work. I've got a few other schools, but I'm not quite sure I'd be a good fit. Being an international student (of comparative linguistics, which means a poor one :D), I had to go for need-blind admission schools for *all* applicants (not just U.S. ones), and that's basically Harvard, MIT and Yale as well.

A long time ago I read Joseph's Handbook of Historical Linguistics and that's how I became familiar with his work. He's done some good things about Balkan Sprachbund and its syntax and I've read some of his papers on Sanskrit. However, I never managed to find some time to follow his work on Ancient and Modern Greek.

@moveandmerge, go to your profile (your nickname in the upper right corner), then on Edit profile (again upper right corner, black button), and there should be a Signature tab on the left-side menu. :)

I'm looking forward to meeting you one day. Who knows... :)

My top choices are Harvard and Cornell, mostly because of Jay Jasanoff and Wayles Browne, who seem to be the best choice for my future work. I've got a few other schools, but I'm not quite sure I'd be a good fit. Being an international student (of comparative linguistics, which means a poor one :D), I had to go for need-blind admission schools for *all* applicants (not just U.S. ones), and that's basically Harvard, MIT and Yale as well.

A long time ago I read Joseph's Handbook of Historical Linguistics and that's how I became familiar with his work. He's done some good things about Balkan Sprachbund and its syntax and I've read some of his papers on Sanskrit. However, I never managed to find some time to follow his work on Ancient and Modern Greek.

@moveandmerge, go to your profile (your nickname in the upper right corner), then on Edit profile (again upper right corner, black button), and there should be a Signature tab on the left-side menu. :)

Those are great schools! Best of luck!

Hello everyone,

I've kept checking my e-mail for a week now. Waiting is no fun, I agree. It always drives me crazy so I started to find a forum I can talk with other people who are feeling the same.

I'm so glad I found this forum. Nice to meet you all!

I'm applying to UCLA only. I'm really nervous about the result.

Does anyone know the approximate time UCLA will notify its applicants?

Thank you very much in advance.

Good luck to you all!!!

It's almost February. :( And I'm spending my Saturday night reading about Shilha pronominal system.

And that makes me happy and weird at the same time. :D

Fellow linguists, how are you coping with this awful times of troubles? Do you sleep or do you sleep furiously or have some colorless green ideas?

I'm losing my mind/

I had a dream that I got a rejection saying my application was "poor" but I had been considered a "top 30 finalist". 0__0 And this was from a school that's already given me positive feedback on my application. Trying not to think about my applications too much in hopes that the next few weeks go quickly. Can't say that I've been all that successful so far.

I've been reading up on syntax, one of the areas in which I'm least prepared and least interested in; no offense to you syntacticians out there! I think I need to find a better way of coping. At least we're almost done with January!

I've been reading, reading, and reading too. Actually, it's because my mid-term exam is coming and also I have to write an article for an academic conference coming up in March.

I suppose you all might be much more nervous than I am now as I have lots of things distracting me from thinking about this. I'm finishing my 4th undergrad year and so I have lots of responsibilities I need to take on for my last 5 courses. Now I'm preparing for my exam and waiting nervously for the notification at the same time.

You all are great people. I believe you can cope with the feeling.

Good luck!

I cannot really imagine myself resting or something like that. Having finished my MA in comparative linguistics, I've decided to enroll in philosophy MA as well, to focus on philosophy of language. That's making me busy a bit, but I'm used to heavy load of coursework, so there's plenty of time for being anxious, impatient and crazy. :D

I've been reading, reading, and reading too. Actually, it's because my mid-term exam is coming and also I have to write an article for an academic conference coming up in March.

I suppose you all might be much more nervous than I am now as I have lots of things distracting me from thinking about this. I'm finishing my 4th undergrad year and so I have lots of responsibilities I need to take on for my last 5 courses. Now I'm preparing for my exam and waiting nervously for the notification at the same time.

You all are great people. I believe you can cope with the feeling.

Good luck!

Nattanun,

I understand what you're dealing with. Last year, while waiting for notification from programs (this is my second time applying), I was taking my M.A. comprehensive exams, writing final papers, not to mention teaching Spanish 102. Just think, it will all be over with in a couple months!

wlkwih2,

Trees...very clever! Lol.

Welcome Robertpt!

Does that second post mean that you just heard bad news? I hope not!

I'm also interested in speech perception (more specifically how it can inform our understanding of the phonetics/phonology interface). Are you primarily applying to universities in the US or elsewhere?