Linguistics 2012

bluetourmaline

Unamuno, congrats!

For UIUC, did you get accepted into the SIP program or general linguistics?

I was accepted into SIP at UIUC. It looks like you also applied there. You haven't heard anything back?

When/how did you hear back exactly? Is it updated on your website yet? I keep checking but nothing. ARGH. LOL

Congrats, though. :)

I got an e-mail from Hualde (DGS and renowned linguist, you're no doubt familiar with his work) with an acceptance letter from the department. It was before Christmas even when I received the e-mail! The website doesn't say anything other than "application submitted." If you haven't heard back yet, it probably is a bad sign. I think UIUC usually notifies pretty from what I can see in the results survey. But you applied to quite a few excellent schools and programs, so I wouldn't panic just yet. I was going to apply to even more than the 7 to which I had applied, but then I heard from UIUC and sort of lost my sense of urgency. By the way, I also applied to UIUC last year and got rejected. So this is my second round. Hang in there!

Welcome Robertpt!

Does that second post mean that you just heard bad news? I hope not!

I'm also interested in speech perception (more specifically how it can inform our understanding of the phonetics/phonology interface). Are you primarily applying to universities in the US or elsewhere?

No, I just accidentally click the down arrow in the post...sorry = =

My previous work in speech perception focused on the cross-linguistic perception of prosodic features. But given a chance in a PhD program, I would like to look at the elastic role listeners are playing in speech variation and change.

Yes, I applied to universities in the US (Stanford, OSU, NYU etc.) and also UBC. Judging from the results so far, I think I might have been rejected by several schools already :/

Edited by Robertpt

Any day now! This is agonizing.

I keep meaning to do some studying to keep myself occupied, but by the time I get home from work I'm exhausted and just want to watch TV. And the times I'm the most anxious is during work anyway, because my job is tedious so I have plenty of opportunity to read these forums and worry that everyone will reject me. I think I won't be able to start studying again until I've gotten an acceptance. Then I can relax a bit.

Found out recently that I'm a "finalist" at one of the schools I've applied to. And they don't know exactly when they're making final decisions. So basically I feel like I'm going to puke pure anxiety as I wait. Pretty dramatic. :) No but seriously I wish I didn't know that because I'll only feel thousands of times worse if I get rejected. Even saying this makes me feel like that's more likely now. x__x

I don't want to jinx myself too much. My POI at the school is friends from grad school with one of my recommenders & they've had a couple of phone convos about my application.

I understand completely. Good luck!

Looks like Cornell is releasing their good news...Congrats to whoever that is!

That was me. Holy crap. I thought my chances were slim. I think I'm dreaming... O_O... I thought the e-mail was spam lol

That was me. Holy crap. I thought my chances were slim. I think I'm dreaming... O_O... I thought the e-mail was spam lol

Congratulations busbus! Cornell is an excellent school! One of my Latin professors got his Ph.D. in Linguistics from there back in the day!

Congrats, busbus!

I just got my first response (thank god, I was freaking out) - an invitation for a Skype interview from Harvard. I am so happy, but so stressed, I hope I will not totally freak out on them during the interview :-S

Congrats everyone! Seems like today was a big day for good news.

I didn't hear from Cornell today, so it's probably a no from them. It looks like they send out rejections by mail about a week after acceptances. So I'll brace myself for that.

Oh well...I think good things are happening for me at some other universities. And by no means do I want to rain on anyone's parade. This process is just so stressful!