Linguistics 2012

bluetourmaline

Also... not to wallow in rejection, but I have a friend who is currently unable to access internet who applied to the program and has not received an interview invite yet. If anyone checks and sees a rejection on the UMICH portal could you PM me so I can at least tell my friend that some of those decisions have been made?

Thanks.

I applied to UMich this year. Unfortunately, I didn't receive invite to campus visit. I checked Wolverine Access. I can't get access to it, either. This application system is awful, where status of application materials was never updated. I emailed the department about my application status after a month of "incomplete status". Good luck to those who got interview invite.

Keep fingers crossed. Hope that we can hear some good news soon.

Hi everyone!

NYU is not one of my top choices, but I did apply there. Should I be nervous? Is there a chance they sent out all their interview invites on the 16th?

How do you know which schools interview and which doesn't (is it possible that a school will admit some candidates without an interview and some with?)?

I am so nervous. I do hope to get some answers soon, I am soooo stressed :unsure:.

How do you know which schools interview and which doesn't (is it possible that a school will admit some candidates without an interview and some with?)?

@LING 304... I checked past updates on the Results Survey to deduce that Stanford sends out interview invites around the 10th of Feb and that OSU sends out acceptances (without interviews) around the same time. If you search for your schools there you could figure some stuff out most likely. BTWs what are your research interests? I'm trying to figure out what all your schools have in common and I'm not having any luck :-P

If you search for your schools there you could figure some stuff out most likely.

I did searched the results survey page (unfortunately I have become obsessed with this page), but it is confusing. My advisor told me that Stanford do interview, and an acquaintance of mine (that applied 3 years ago) told me that some departments did interview her, while others admitted her without interviewing. I am mostly bothered by the possibility that NYU sent all their interview invites at the same day, which means I was rejected.

Hey guys, my apps are all complete and I got my first decision this week! I've been accepted to Illinois-Urbana with a nice funding offer. I'm interested in psycholinguistics, language acquisition, bilingualism, & Romance languages. I've also applied to UMich, UMass-Amherst, UTexas-Austin (my alma mater), UConn, and MIT. The talk of UMich invitations makes me nervous since I haven't heard anything, but I also applied to the joint program with Romance langs, so maybe they have to look at my app too first? Eek, waiting is nerve-wracking!

Hey guys, my apps are all complete and I got my first decision this week! I've been accepted to Illinois-Urbana with a nice funding offer. I'm interested in psycholinguistics, language acquisition, bilingualism, & Romance languages. I've also applied to UMich, UMass-Amherst, UTexas-Austin (my alma mater), UConn, and MIT. The talk of UMich invitations makes me nervous since I haven't heard anything, but I also applied to the joint program with Romance langs, so maybe they have to look at my app too first? Eek, waiting is nerve-wracking!

I can't seem to access UMIch's Wolverine Access. Can you? I applied there too and wanted to check after I saw the UMich result.

I did searched the results survey page (unfortunately I have become obsessed with this page), but it is confusing. My advisor told me that Stanford do interview, and an acquaintance of mine (that applied 3 years ago) told me that some departments did interview her, while others admitted her without interviewing. I am mostly bothered by the possibility that NYU sent all their interview invites at the same day, which means I was rejected.

AFAIK, NYU did recruit students without interviews. Fuzzylogician had some nice acceptances without interviews in the previous year.

Congrats, txelizabeth. I still hope that UMich would send out some invitations next week. Wait is just awful :(

BTWs what are your research interests? I'm trying to figure out what all your schools have in common and I'm not having any luck :-P

@PHDreaming - Sorry, I forgot to answer this question. It's kind of complicated: my background is in logic, formal semantics and formal pragmatics, but I am spending most of my thesis arguing with formal semanticists, which I guess locates me in pragmatics/functionalism/language change etc. I do have a researcher I would like to work with in every one of the nine departments, but considering the sub-area I would like to specialize in I am probably a better fit to Stanford, Yale, UCLA and Northwestern (and maybe also UT Austin) and less to the rest.

they may not have sent them all at once-- maybe waited to see if anyone declined or something? That's what I'm hoping anyway (for UMICH). I have no clue how any of this works out and I'm trying not to get too stressed! :/

ahhhh thanks didn't catch that one in all this mess! hmmm well I can only hope that's the case for umich, I would love to visit campus. Oh well. Monday's soon.

Did you find out anything? I saw nothing on Wolverine Access :-\

I'm getting really antsy now that I should start hearing from schools in two weeks. In case anyone applied for any of the same schools as I did, here's the dates I'm expecting to hear something, based on past years' results:

Harvard: first week of Feb. (interview), rejections early March

Stanford: first or second week of Feb. (interview)

Berkeley: first or second week of Feb. (no interview)

Boulder: end of March (no interview)

UW Seattle: end of March (no interview)

Edited by Athenrein

I'm getting really antsy now that I should start hearing from schools in two weeks. In case anyone applied for any of the same schools as I did, here's the dates I'm expecting to hear something, based on past years' results:

Thanks for this. I thought Harvard usually doesn't conduct interviews for linguistics applicants.

I'm waiting for MIT/Cornell/Yale as well, and it's pretty much all over February.

The stress is killing me.

UW might actually be earlier than last year the because the application deadline was moved a month earlier this year.