Linguistics 2012

bluetourmaline

Yale sent me a confirmation letter yesterday. It said that my application had been submitted for review. I was terrified because the subject line only said Yale Graduate School Application Status. Imagine the heart attack! I'm perpetually terrified to open my email haha. Hopefully we'll be hearing soon!

I sure hope thats not true! I mean I good for them, but I have not heard from Stanford yet. Usually they send out invites in early FEB and since they invite everyone to visit campus to pick the final acceptances, it seems unlikely that they would send some invites out before others.

Yeah. I also thought it was impossible to send out interview requests that early (except some UC schools). I did some research on the interview requests on the result board. It seems that all the interview requests of Penn or Stanford are sent out in late Jan and early Feb (even later). Let's calm down. I guess it is just a piece of fake news.

Well, I feel a little guilty posting good news, since so many of you are still waiting to hear anything, but I'm really excited...

I was invited to UC San Diego's Open House! They're my top choice, so I'm pretty ecstatic. I'm not in yet, so I need to practice talking about my research and do additional research on their faculty (read more articles!). I also need to remember to breathe!

Well, I feel a little guilty posting good news, since so many of you are still waiting to hear anything, but I'm really excited...

I was invited to UC San Diego's Open House! They're my top choice, so I'm pretty ecstatic. I'm not in yet, so I need to practice talking about my research and do additional research on their faculty (read more articles!). I also need to remember to breathe!

Wow. Congratulations, Radioalfredio.

Awwww... looks like Santa Barbara sent out a little wave of rejection. Man, those UC schools are really on top of their game. Early bird catches the worm? Sorry to those that got rejected (secretly a little glad I didn't apply... one of my friends got rejected - no bueno).

Hi linguists! I just found this board during my tedious wait and thought it might be the only way to save my too-bitten nails. I'm waiting on four program applications, and it seems like there is little info available. Are we all INTPs or are there really that few (applied) linguists?

When information comes out or stress about turning in applications seems to be high then we all seem to come together pretty solidly! I think because there isn't a whole lot going on right now other than the wait- we're all just anxious to post anything other than news haha. But hopefully more results will be rolling in soon so we'll liven up a bit and hopefully get to congratulate each other's successes :)

Where did you apply blinguistics? (nice name, by the way)

I had coffee with one of my recommenders yesterday, it was really nice and encouraging to talk to someone who believes in me so solidly. The longer the wait gets the more nervous and less confident I get! But he just believes in me so much that I deeply respect his opinion and hope that others can see the same spark that he sees in me!

Yep, the waiting is pretty awful, because there is really not much that we can do at this point. I saw that someone has an interview with Brown, which is pretty awesome, but I'm not sure if it was on the linguistics side or the cognitive psychology side.

I decided to take my mind of waiting for results (not!) by going shopping for some professional clothes to wear to the UC San Diego Open house. I'm definitely looking forward to escaping from gray and drizzly Northern California for a couple days.

According to the results survey, it looks like Feb. 10th-ish is the time when a lot of results start to come out. Another three weeks. Ugh!

Hi Elizabethrose-- I applied rather late to ASU applied linguistics and UW Madison for SLA. I have my MA in Linguistics and wanted to go for a PhD to teach beyond the community college adjunct pool. I feel I should have had a more robust application season, but I just ran out of time on the apps. I see so little info on these programs from the past years' results boards, but it does seem that in three weeks that more info will be on the way.

Good luck to everyone!

looks like U Michigan started notifying short-listed people for invite to campus..... anyone else hear anything from them? did anyone get rejected from them?

I applied to Michigan last year and I never heard back from them. I only found out that I was rejected by randomly checking the website. That happened to another friend of mine a couple of years before me. IMHO they're not very nice about notifying rejected applicants, so I decided not to re-apply there this year even though there are quite a few people there who I would like to work with. Best of luck to anyone who did apply to Michigan though!

I had the same result with Michigan when I applied 2 years ago. My LOR writer kept telling me that "no news is (probably) good news" on the assumption that if I had been rejected I would have been notified. Finally in APRIL I got so fed up with waiting that I e-mailed them and I got a really terse response that said something like "To verify your application status, check the UMICH portal." I did. Not surprisingly, I had also been rejected. No e-mail, no snail mail, no phone call... NOTHING. I think they need to figure out a way to change their policy for notification. It seems like most other schools (smaller/more prestigious even) take the time to send out polite rejections early on so as to not string people along. Michigan is such a great program with such great faculty but this definitely rubbed me the wrong way. I didn't reapply this time around... but that's mainly because my interests have shifted quite dramatically. Good luck to any and all who get an interview! And if you are still waiting, definitely keep an eye on the online status.

Also... looks like an NYU invite has been posted to the Results Survey - it has begun :)